Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student paramedic 2024

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 chemicals404

Thanks @LB1982

Are we to be in formal wear ?

Suit and tie?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 bJWXNIXWNXOW

Does anyone off the top of their head know how the 3 years are divided I've seen it somewhere before but just can't find it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 LB1982

I would say so, smart trousers, shirt and tie. Good luck. :) I was told today at the Tullamore open day that we must be ourselves, a likeability factor or people person will account for loads and an eagerness to learn and serve.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭sudocremegg

Year 1

3 months full time in the college initially. Observer placements are usually on week 3 after induction.

This first 3 months is where you will do the bulk of your theory and practical modules, there will be 3 MCQ tests and 3 OSCE tests. You have 3 strikes to pass these. It's very intense. It will be 9-5 monday to friday.

If you pass this you will spend 8 weeks as third person in a station and also do hospital placements.

Following this you will be back to the college for another 4 weeks for further training and NAS exams.

Then you will spend 15 weeks in a station 3 of which will be the driving course in Dublin.

Passing this you will be back to the college for a further 5 weeks for more theory and practicals, and most importantly PHECC OSCE and Short Written Answer (SWA) prep. Then you will have your PHECC exams.

If you pass then you will become a paramedic intern. You will be allocated a station of their chosing.

Year 2

Intern year. 1 full year working as a paramedic intern. You are no longer third person and are now working as a dual crew.

UCC work will start, you will have regular modules and assignments to complete. You will also have your NASC Intern portfolio to compile. You will have 3 on the road assessments from an Education Competancy and Training Officer.

If you satisfy the NASC portfolio requirements you will be called for interview. If you pass the interview then congratulations, you are now a registered PHECC Paramedic and can keep your job.

Year 3

You will be wearing the navy's and are a registered paramedic but you still have a year left of your UCC degree to complete. No more NASC work. Slog through your degree and satisfy UCC's requirements and you will graduate with a Bsc Hon.

Bare in mind that if you do not pass your UCC degree NAS you won't satisfy the contract agreement and NAS won't keep you on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 hope234

Thanks for info. When you’re in year one , how many days a week will you be placed at a station . Is it 5 days a week or like 3x12 hours shifts ?

Year 2 , same again . When you are working as a dual crew what are the hours like ?

On your undergraduate placements (third person) you will generally follow the shift pattern of a crew you will be assigned to. This can be changed a couple times during the 8 or 15 weeks. Generally it's 3 or 4 x 12 hour shifts week, including nights.

In year 2 as an intern (postgraduate), you will be relief staff. This means you will cover gaps in the roster as needed so your shifts will change to whatever the operations office need you. This can often be done whimsically and depending on what region you're based in you could be working out of a number of different stations per week.

You are contracted for 156 hours per month, there's no rhyme or rhythm to this as long as they fill your hours.

You could be working 4 nights one week, 2 days and 2 nights the next, 3 days the next, and 5 days the next all in one station.

In other regions you could be working Monday and Tuesday in one station, then Friday Saturday Sunday in another etc.

You get your roster 2-4 weeks in advance depending on the region. Expect to be working every second weekend at least.

The end goal is to obtain a line so you follow a set shift pattern for the year but that takes a few years to obtain so don't worry about it at this stage.

The bad news is this job is very shift heavy and it can be very draining, especially for those who have long commutes. Don't forget you rarely finish on time. Expect overtime as standard every shift - 12 hour shifts regularly turn into 14 hour shifts.

On the odd occasion you even end up doing 16 or 18 hour shifts.

Thank you so much for all that detail really appreciate it

• Registered Users Posts: 6 taramc95

hi all. Does anyone know if they’re running classes in Sept? Did they send EOIs?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭kahmen

Noting out yet any way that did do one class no new class sixes so extremely unlikely that thare will be any class sin September

• Advertisement

How did everyone get on today who had interviews ? How are we all feeling ?

Does anyone know how long it will take for interview results to be issued?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Clarissa1a

My understanding is that we will find out in 10working days from day of interview 👍🏻

hey , I contacted them and they advised 10 days after all interviews have been completed . I’m not sure how many days they are doing interviews for

Friday was the last day of interview so now the waiting games being. Good luck everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 9 kilbeg3

Thanks so much for this.

Do you mind me asking do you know is it easy to get short term accomodation near the training centres ie Ballinasloe and Tullamore would the colleges have a list a year long let won't work with that schedule. Do NAS offer any allowance towards accomodation like apprenticship courses do or is it just a weekly wage as per the payscale?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Iceomatrix

The local hotels in Ballinasloe definitely do a special rate for student paramedics, not sure about Tullamore, no allowances towards accomodation while in college just your wages.

I know tallaght had a couple of houses nearby with weekly rates that were word of mouth only. Most others just stayed in the hotels.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 xpxo010

has anyone that is meant to be starting in balinasloe in september received contracts ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 junesummer

hi I was just wondering has anybody received a letter yet?

Post edited by junesummer on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 emmaphelan01

hey @xpxo010 i haven’t heard a thing! Got an email about 2 weeks ago to say they received everything they needed after my occupational fitness test but haven’t heard the outcome yet :/

hey all , hoping we hear back regarding interviews this week 🤞 does anyone know roughly how many attended the interviews ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 taramc95

anyone have info on whether or not there will be classes held in January 2025 and how many places. I’m waiting on the panel formed last year.

I've heard the was around 300 interviews,

Usually you get a email to say a letter has being posted, hopefully we receive the email today but after it being a bank holiday yesterday my guess would be towards the end of the week

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Saltydog87

hey guys,

Random one but I remember talking to someone who had been through the program and they mentioned that you get some extra payment on top of wages while you are out on the ambulance in year 1-3. Think they said it’s like 260€ a week or something . Just wondering if anyone who has been or is on the middle of the program has any more insight on this ?

Thanks

In year one, during the 8 week and 15 week placement you will get training subsistence and its about 260 a week. During year one while on the road you will net about 1400 per fortnight.

For the rest of the year while in the college you will net about 900 per fortnight basic pay. You are not entitled to any other subsistence or overtime etc in year 1.

This is for the first year only.

Year 2, your internship year you get normal wages, allowances, OT etc.

You can gross €50,000 or more in the internship year if you put in the work.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Jimmy113

Interview results on the way. Best of luck to all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 junesummer

Hi does anybody know how the panel works? I got a letter saying 180 on the panel- is that good or bad or what’s the story 🙄🙄

Post edited by junesummer on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 chemicals404

Hi all , hope all got good panel numbers this morning

Just a quick question how many left on previous panel?

Whats the likely hood of starting in Jan 2025 with a panel number less than 50?

Thanks

Advertisement