Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vice President Kamala Harris vs Donald Trump 2024

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,167 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Weapons of war / regulated militia arguments, or the stolen valor argument

That didn't take her long did it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,143 ✭✭✭✭briany

I suspect the Democrats were largely ready for a new candidate for quite some time. It was just a matter of Biden making way.

As for Trump, what he and his campaign say are not 1:1, and the reports I've heard from former advisors paint him as a man who needs a high degree of managing. They could have a minute by minute plan to defeat Harris and Trump could toss it over his shoulder and just say what he likes instead.

The Boy wasn't a baffling pick at the time of his announcement. Trump was riding high in the polls v Biden and the VP pick was just a favour to Peter Thiel. A placeholder who wouldn't take a photon of the spotlight. It's only in contrast to the positive energy of the Harris campaign that Trump's running mate now looks like a drag.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

The weapons of war thing. The stolen valor thing is plain unfounded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,838 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Joe Rogan endorsed RFK Jr today. (Think it was today).

Major kick in the teeth for Trump. Rogan fans are definitely predominantly Republicans, to have them directed to Kennedy is a double kick for Trump.

He misses out on a Rogan endorsement which would sound good at rallies, but he stands a genuine risk if losing voters to Kennedy who would never go all the way to Harris.

His press conference today could be the 'no way back ' moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,138 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Trump will get RFK to drop out and get those votes anyway, RFK has already been caught on phone tacitly agreeing to it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

Yup and in return, he'll be Secretary of Health and Human Services...

😱

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

I think most people at the time were very wary of the pick especially as the final 4 was supposedly Burgum a very boring but blemish free governor with a lot of money, Rubio who has been rebounded quite well since the 2016 fiasco and would have delivered Arizona, Youngkin a popular governor from Virginia who can do the culture war stuff but also not scare away Joe Bloggs, but he went with the worst option in Vance.

Their has been a lot of talk about Trump's team tightening up behind the scenes and Susie Wiles who is running the campaign is very good but their is blame to go around, Trump's idiot sons who badgered Sr into picking him, Wiles who supposedly has a soft spot for JD and most importantly Trump himself who would have been well aware of all the oppo stuff that the Dems had on him but ignored nonetheless.

Harris clearly has the momentum, but still think their is twists and turns to come, anyone who tells you with a straight face that Harris has this in the bag is watching MSNBC to hard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,665 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Harris is now bookies favourite to win the election.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,143 ✭✭✭✭briany

Haven't seen too many people here say that Harris has it "in the bag", to be fair. Being more optimistic about the Democratic chances does not equal considering it a foregone conclusion.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

No one has it in the bag until the votes are counted but for the first time in a while, it definitely looks more like a Democratic win. This said, anything can happen, some people will always vote Red, others will always vote Blue. It is hard to see Harris making a big enough Gaff that she looks worse than Trump who has deteriorated substantially in coherency. I know he wasn't great but since Biden has stepped back, it really highlights how bad Trump has gotten. This said it is not impossible and we have all seen over the past few years in American politics how much the voters in a large majority go with the view that you are "only as good as your last public appearance". I certainly wouldn't be comfortable until polling closes whoever I was supporting. I think if Kamala sticks to policies and Trumps lack of, which really seems to fluster him, to the point he cannot answer a single question, even what in most cases would look like a planted question, from his own supporters.

I think my favourite one so far was the Republican supporter asking about affordable housing, not realising that what he was asking for was a centre left government, not a right wing one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,656 ✭✭✭✭Water John

If Trump is behind in the polls, JFK has mighty leverage. He can name his price or if he sees Trump losing anyway, just stay in the race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

Secretary of Heath and Human Services.

Especially considering Trump will abolish the EPA. RFK would have previously done a lot of work for the environment. Anyway, fingers crossed it's not important as Trump loses anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Yeah would be mad to call it this early - Democrats need to mobilise voters on the day - vocal support and poll ratings won’t win this election- it’s only the physical votes that matter.

As for twists and turns? I’ve no doubt the republicans are planning “something”- doesn’t matter if it’s a false narrative and in fact it probably will be- I reckon they’ll throw whatever mud they’re planning just 2 weeks out - all they need is for most of it to stick for just a week or two before the election and that will give the democrats a big worry .
    We saw the whole computer private email fiasco with Hilary and the FBI announcing an enquiry again just weeks before poling day - that certainly hurt her campaign

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

There's no doubt that they either already have or will create an "October Surprise" to try and impact Harris/Walz but at the same time , Trump will have been sentenced a few weeks earlier and if he gets any kind of penalty he won't be allowed to vote in his own election along with whatever comes out of the various other court appearances so the muck will be flying in both directions.

The concern about Democrat voter fatigue or disinterest appears to have been addressed now - The higher the turn-out the worse it gets for Republicans.

The Democrats needs to spend a lot of money on ads simply reminding people to check their voting status repeatedly between now and Election day because I guarantee that there will be all kinds of "data purges" going on in GOP controlled districts to try and mess things up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,944 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Listened to Walz's Pennsylvania speech, can they not swap around and make him the main candidate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,149 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I still don't know what the fúck they were thinking running an 81 year old Biden again. Long way to go yes, but it took Harris all of 3 weeks to edge ahead with the bookies. She supposedly had no chance of beating Trump.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Haley called it. I think she would have been a formidable candidate for the presidency.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,865 ✭✭✭Shoog

... but here policy platform is as mad as Trumps. Mad as a bag of cats.

• Advertisement

the Sgt Major is not the General and the Coach is not the Quarterback.

Well she supports Ukraine and sounds coherent when talking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,548 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

He'll have his chance in 8 years, he'll be 68 then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,929 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

Love this:

I find this man super weird and I did a love scene with a duck. #trumpmeltdown

https://x.com/LeaKThompson/status/1821656717547225415

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

She's a founder member of the Tea-Party movement - She's a horrible person with horrible policy ideas , it's just that compared to Trump she seems normal but she really really isn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,737 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Ehh. I voted for her in the primary! Voting for Biden would've been kind of a waste. My state lets you vote for any of the candidates, this time around the local equivalent of 'Count Binface' wasn't running.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,615 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I know there's a whole bunch of Republicans and conservatives out there who are very obviously holding their nose and supporting Trump despite clearly despising the guy (JD Vance very much included). But watching the predictably demented clips from yesterday's Trump presser, I do have to wonder if even the most sycophantic true believers feel a little embarassment or shame from time to time propping up this bozo. Like… surely you'd have to 😂

• Advertisement

Haley threw away her shots at the presidency already, she’s made herself patently spineless. She could have been formidable, but she habitually loses her nerve and runs off chasing a short term gain: abandoned the governorship for a UN ambassadorship, quit that gig not even what a year later when reporters got wise to some private jet flights she was taking, then she runs a fiery campaign of never trumperism (despite being his ambassador) only to see herself give up then months later fall in right behind him. That was her last great shot she could have built up the never Trumper republicans and bided their time until the next cycle. But like QD said her other problem is she’s just a horrible person with horrible ideas. Just craves power for the sake of power, like even just the millions of dollars she threw at the university here in Clemson to buy her way onto the board of directors so she could helicopter mom her kid while she enrolled here, she’s **** weird and out of touch and incredibly, insanely self interested.

Advertisement