Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vice President Kamala Harris vs Donald Trump 2024

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,929 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

I dont understand why Trump keeps mouthing off against his opponents at his rallies. No-one who goes to his rallies, is going to vote for them anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,167 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

what else is he going to do with his time, discuss policy?

He’s running a Retribution campaign after all, not a campaign about mature governing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,118 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I have intentionally stayed away from the trump thread and I will try to be as impartial as possible here. But my question is: I haven't seen much of Harris in debates. Is she any good? Trump will waffle on at various tangents during the debates. The moderators will not stop him from doing this. And the debates will not sway his voters one iota.

But, if Harris stays on point with the debates, answers the points raised coherently and efficiently then this will surely contrast sharply with trump's unfocused, long-winded non-answers.

Again, it will not matter to his voters but surely the difference will be apparent to undecideds… Again, this is assuming that she CAN debate which is my question. Can she? Can she debate and also be engaging while debating. One of the biggest criticisms of Obama was that he was extremely articulate and devastating in a debate but (Especially post elections) often came across as quite unengaging and cold/distant when giving public statements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Babyreignbow

I'm going to go rogue for a minute because I thought his 'speech' was probably the most coherent he's been in a while (maybe ever). It could be me but it's the first time I've been able to stay awake for the entire duration of it. Maybe it's good drugs but his eyes were less glazed over and sometimes they both looked in the same direction, which suggested that he's still conscious. Yeah he talked the same nonsensical diatribe as he always does but this time he did it with greater conviction, which is no doubt reassuring to the 75% of Americans who think he's great.

Use your mighty arms to slay the fierce enemy that is selfish desire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,929 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

According to Trump Tim Walz is big in the Trans world. Big in what way, I wonder. 🧐

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,028 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

I assume it's so he winds his supporters up to be so scared (because fear is a lot easier to instill in people than hope) that they run home to their towns and neighbourhoods to "save" their neighbours and their loved ones from the 5th circle of hell that his opponent will unleash it she wins.

I think Kamala's campaign have absolutely hit the sweet spot when it comes to her and Walz's speeches.

1: Talk about how great it is to see so many people there. Mention and be thankful to some names that no one watching online would know, but the local crowd would (local organisers etc.)

2: Talk positively about the future, based on the crowd you see before you.

3: Talk positively of the last 4 years, giving credit to Biden for what he has done, and some of the plans you will keep and expand on.

4: Briefly mention your opponent and brush him off.

5: Double back and talk about what they will do when they get to the White House.

I have seen 3 speeches so far and they have all pretty much followed that recipe.

It's pretty simple, but genius and really contributes to the feel good factor of their rallies, which seems to be really lacking from Trump rallies at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Virgil°

It's actually not as good as you think. He's also attempted to sneak in the supposed Fox "Debate" on the 4th before it.

It's a trick. A switcheroo. He'll do his Fox debate on 4th. Harris will have to deal with biased moderators and a room full of MAGA goons whooping and cheering every stupid senseless, hateful line out of Trumps mouth. Essentially debating Trump at one of his rallies.

Trump will declare himself the winner and then decline to do the other debates because "Everyone knows everything already". "I already beat her". No need to do anymore.

If Harris is clever she should simply insist on the initial ABC debate and ignore this unclever Fox play.

yes she can debate, there’s plenty of reel online of her at the primaries and in her time in the senate, she was a state attorney general, she’s smart and she’s sharp. Trump isn’t eager to go up against a career prosecutor, this drama of him trying to weasel out of the ABC debate was proof enough of that. Hell even AG Barr was cautious as hell with her and he utterly squirmed, he **** knew Harris, an attorney general herself, wouldn’t ask a question she didn’t know the answer to and it utterly wet his pants here:

Of course we now know there was a lot of political interference of the Trump WH with the Trump DOJ. Barr chose both not to perjure himself or to concede the fact at the time of this hearing

She also was pretty stern with Biden on his record in the primaries even

She was also not at all hesitant to shut down the sitting Vice President when he tried to talk over her (a moment which went over extremely well with my wife and others)

I’ve picked shorter clips and snippets here for the sake of brevity in this thread but the fuller exchanges are easy to find online

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,028 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

She has constantly said, "We'll see about other debates after the debate on Sept 10th."

He can have his hour long interview on the 4th on Fox.

• Advertisement

There'll be mass debating going on in September.

Yup as she should. Harris really hasn't put a foot wrong yet. I know 3 months is a shockingly truncated time to have to run a presidential campaign bid. But in a way part of me wishes the election was now.

3 months of events like the last few weeks is an eternity. So many things could go wrong and Trump is currently so busy shooting himself in the foot. The optimism I have right now feels so fragile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,056 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I think it's a good move by Harris to not let the Fox debate be the first one, in case Trump decides to pull out of the others after claiming they're unnecessary or whatever. Make sure their first one is more on neutral ground and use it to set the bar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,837 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

It was coherent but it was completely devoid of diplomatic structure or policy. It was coherent because the theme for much of it was Me Me Me and Trump has spent 78 years talking about that topic.

But it was deranged when looked through the lens of assessing who would be a better choice for President. Crowd sizes? FFS Donald give it a rest. No one cares.

yeah, I said that mostly with my tongue firmly in cheek. 107,000 people v's 1,500 people. The problem is there are people who just believe him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Economics101

I have one worry about Harris debating with Trump. To have a debate you have to have some sort of back-and-forth discussion about policy and other issues. Can you have a half reasonable debate with an unhinged lunatic? Can you handle the way he will oversimlify issues so that you are forced to be "boring" and try to explain things?

No criticism of Harris, just a worry about getting into any sort of "debate" with Trump.

But it might be nice to see Walz use his down to earth style in a debate with Trump.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

3 Months really isn't a "shockingly truncated time" to run a campaign - It's still significantly longer than any other official election campaign anywhere else in the world.

99% of what happens prior to early September will be irrelevant and forgotten by the Electorate anyway , but like everything else in the US they have to monetise and tear the arse out of everything by turning it into this year long marathon of nonsense.

It absolutely wasn't "coherent" , he was rambling about Bacon and most of his responses made no sense at all.

For example

Asked if he would revoke the abortion drug mifepristone, Trump said, "You could do things that would supplement. Absolutely. And those things are pretty open and humane."

Does that sound "coherent" ??

He of course covered all his favourite things (himself) lying about Crowd sizes , lying about his record in office , lying about the current administration etc. but coherent is not a term I would use.

Trumps last debate performance was also abysmal. It was just completely overshadowed by how bad Bidens performance was.

For instance Trump was twice asked about his policies for better childcare. And twice he just talked about the border and himself. He didn't actually answer the question. It was a golden opportunity to turn to the camera and say to the people of America: "Look at this guy, he cares 100 times more about his f**cking golf score than he does about your children".

Any lucid cogent debater could have made Trump look like an absolute clown at that debate. Sure he's a pigeon playing chess. But that's the angle Harris lean into. You really wanna vote for the pigeon? Or do you want a serious policymaker?

I'd be pretty confident that Harris will mop the floor with him. And he knows it. Just listen to him STILL pining and moaning like a child that he's not running against Biden. Still making excuses and plays not to debate Harris fair and square. That should tell you everything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,143 ✭✭✭✭briany

Has Harris said anything about the Fox news debate? If Trump will accept to debate Harris on ABC, then he's going to demand she debate him on Fox. She doesn't have to accept that, of course, but Trump will just harp on more about the idea that she's scared to debate him in a more hostile (he might say 'critical') environment.

3 Months really isn't a "shockingly truncated time" to run a campaign - It's still significantly longer than any other official election campaign anywhere else in the world.

wishful thinking on my part, but wouldn’t it be lovely if Harris wins this race and we see this political reset in the United States where presidential elections are not protracted three years out but truncated as it were several months out again like it normally was not that long ago, her having them proven that you don’t need to run a huge expensive years long campaign to win an election, that might even be enough to convince the election industry to reign it in a little however the election industry is worth billions and billions of dollars now, so maybe it will be hard for those interested capitalists to let go a little. Regardless a recalibration would be incredibly welcome.

Someone like Hillary Clinton would need a long time to build a campaign - someone who wants power but hasn't got a particularly likeable personality. They have to seed the ground and shake all the right hands and all that stuff. If you have charisma, then that can do much of the heavy lifting and so much of a runway isn't necessary.

But even then, Harris had technically been campaigning a long time under the Biden ticket. She's not a newcomer to the race. She was, in a sense, also participating in that years long election cycle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,711 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Harris does not need to accede to anything in terms of debates from Trump. This man has already given in on his stated line that he wouldn't debate. He is now looking to some how make things a bit easier on himself, and we all know he won't debate on ABC if he already has the Fox debate done.

Harris merely needs to stick to the already agreed schedule. If that schedule doesn't suit Trump then it's on him for making such an agreement.

That press conference showed, if indeed there was any doubt, that Trump is panicking. He has nothing on which he can fight back with. His whole plan was to attack Old Man Biden. That was it. The entire foundation of his campaign. He is now the old man. He was never going to discuss policy, only call out Biden as too old, too slow, past it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,056 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Debating Trump will be very much "playing chess with a pigeon" territory for Harris. But at the same time, both he and his "debating" style are much more of a known quantity this time around.

With Hillary, how he'd debate was much more of an unknown (and Hillary was smug and awful anyway). The first debate with Biden this year, Biden came across worse in comparison and because, let's face it, more was expected of him. Biden V Trump debates in 2020 was a lot closer, but Trump also had all the Hunter stuff and Biden's age to fall back on.

He's already struggling to effectively pin anything on Kamala and as I said, he's such a known quantity. If anything his thing last night showed his entire hand.

One debate or three, Harris needs to be absolutely preparing every retort against what Trump throws, and everything she can throw at him to derail him and make him go off on tangents.

But, she also needs to do a news interview or two, and soon. She needs to start getting her message out and show she's not afraid of being questioned. Not that I think she is, but campaign rallies can only do so much. Her not doing media is one of the main points Trump & Vance are currently throwing out at her, so cut that away from them and do a few interviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

This is what infuriated me with Biden etc. You have to lower yourself to Trumps level a bit. Going technical on policy won't work.

Instead just flat out ask him -

'What's your plan for healthcare?'

'Why were there a half a million Americans dead as result of COVID than there should have been on his watch?'

'What does Putin have on you that makes you his lapdog?'

'Do you think a convicted felon should be allowed to hold the office of President?'

'Do you think someone who sexually assaulted someone should?'

'Do you agree with many people who say you're only rich because of your Daddy and if it weren't for him you'd be either in jail or on the street?'

Watch him squirm and get angrier and angrier. Hammer him on policy on your addresses to the audience at the end. He has no plan for anything etc etc etc.

"A bit" should have emphasis, here. Trying to hit him with a lot of criticisms in a short span of time probably wouldn't be as effective as it sounds. Trump would likely attempt to answer most of the above with some variation of the border.

"A lot better than your plan for the border."

"Why are there 30 million illegals flooding across the border, raping, killing and selling fentanyl?"

"I've never met Putin. You are a puppet of Soros."

"Do you think all these convicted felons should be allowed bring fentanyl from Mexico and sell it to schoolchildren? Also, my conviction was election interference."

"The only sexual assaulters are the rrrrrapists you're letting come across the border"

"Do you agree that you're only on this stage because daddy Biden let you have access to his campaign funds?"

And so on.

Trump would be comfortable with a mud slinging match. He'll just hit back with deflection and lies in an attempt to verbally cow her. She'll have to box a bit lighter, picking her spot to land choice rhetorical clatters on Trump's ear, leaving him red faced and angry while she smiles and laughs.

Getting baited by Walz here,

https://www.mediaite.com/politics/bill-oreilly-accuses-tim-walz-of-defamation-for-jd-vance-couch-dig-lost-of-a-respect-for-the-governor/

Walz said nothing defamatory whatsoever, all he wondered is if JD Vance can get off the couch and debate him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,305 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There is nothing to indicate that he can actually reply with short snappy replies any more, though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,852 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

poor old Bill is just an old irrelevant pervert at this stage

Advertisement