Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couple Ordered to Demolish House - any update?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭JVince

seems you are only asking the made up questions by the murrays.

They KNEW the land was sterilised from development. If they didn't they were very very stupid by not doing a very basic planning search.

They got rejected for their circa 3,000 sq ft house (not massive by rural standards) and then procced to build a gigantic 6,200sq ft house as a very pointed and direct 2 fingers at all planning law.

If they had built a more modest home - possibly at some point it would have got accepted by the court of ABP, but building something over 6,000 sq ft in direct contravention of every planning law out there and then to continue to stick two fingers up at the system, meant they were never going to win.

Arrogance never pays off

Here's the original court hearing https://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0629/132767-murray/

Reading it, you can see where the judge might have permitted it if it was more in tune with the locality and a more modest size.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Leave it standing, CPO it for €1, give it to IPAS to accommodate asylum seekers.

I am certain the above could never happen but would be good craic to see the look on their faces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭This is it

Driven to it my arse. They didn't just ignore that their planning permission was rejected, they pissed all over it building a house twice the size of what they applied for.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭byrne249

I'll be the first to say the size of the house is abnormally ridiculous and I'm not sure what they were trying to prove with that, maybe they reckoned if they were going to smash the law they might as well do it style? I think a lot of people would love to see it razed on that implied arrogance alone and I'm sure it will be eventually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Gusser09

The funny thing is if they had just built an average bungalow they'd have garnered some sympathy from people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,016 ✭✭✭✭Penn

That's not at all what the judge implied. The judge showed regret regarding having to make the decision mostly due to the applicants hardships given that as a plumber his work was greatly affected by the recession after the house was built, but there was no indication that his decision would have been any different if it was a smaller house. The judge effectively cannot make such rulings, he could kick it back to ABP or the Council to re-review it, but that'd be about it. Even then ABP/Council could still refuse it with sufficient reasoning.

You can only really appeal a final decision by An Bord Pleanala on failings of administration/procedure. From Citizen's Info:

All decisions are final and can only be challenged by judicial review in the High Court on a point of law. In these situations, the High Court will judge if the Board followed due process in reaching its decision, but will not look at the planning merits of an appeal.

The Judge will only rule on whether correct procedure/process was followed. ABP have the final say in matters of design etc.

He must have been done savage well to be able to afford build a house like that as a plumber.

There were a lot of people on very average salaries building mcmansions at that time and struggled greatly for years in the aftermath of their exuberance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,979 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Lads, will you let me when the Councils start "compromising" on illegal developments. Have a few grand potential sites here and family members who can't, and won't, get planning permission.

I can have the diggers ready to do the groundwork as soon it's established that obtaining pp is irrelevant because we can "compromise" after they are built.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 136 ✭✭flyer_query

cash too because a bank wont (even back in celtic tiger times) mortgage a house with no pp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ForestFire

But...but....I thought he was a poor plumber.....on hard times that only wanted to build a 3000ft2 dwelling to cover his head and his family...that ended up being an 6000ft2 mansion illegally , and wasn't it to solve the housing crisis ,they once said.....🤔

They should have put the house on wheels. Could have moved it then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,016 ✭✭✭✭Penn

He was a plumber and built the house 2006/2007. I've no doubt he was probably able to self-fund most of it himself at the time.

He was a poor plumber by the time it got to the courts due to recession, and the fact that not only would they have to knock the house (and get no money for it), but even trying to sell the site you'd be doing it when everyone knows you can't build on it so wouldn't get as much for it.

Not saying I feel any sympathy, but there was definitely a wild swing in his fortunes from the time he built to the time it got to courts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Shoog

Part of the reason theres a housing shortage is because everyone built these monsterous country houses which can't even be heated adequately. No one wants to buy them and no one bothered to build any moderate small houses for all the people now trying to downsizing from the mcmansion. The stupidity of the Celtic tiger generation is staggering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,196 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Thats as may be but don't forget about the massive extensions they built after the financial crash and during the time the Council had began enforcement proceedings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,253 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Ireland Inc

South Fork looks tiny these days.

They were no more financially ruined by the recession than Bill Gates. That's just an excuse. Revenue might be a good start to have a root around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Did it ever cross your mind that maybe, just maybe, the County Manager did his homework and went through the proper procedures after getting the proper advice on what was likely to be granted planning permission?

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,669 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Are there houses going unsold/unheated? Where.

There are many reasons for housing shortages, saying the building of one off large houses out in the countryside is one of the reasons for it is a unique perspective.

Post edited by Dav010 on

I mean, we all believe in fairies to some degree

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭ozmo

Over in the UK, another one - 90 Million new Apartment block in London requested to be demolished just after opening because - mainly - because well it looks ugly (to what was planned) - and its not wheelchair accessible…
    https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-66934296
    https://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/24475529.mast-quay-phase-ii-residents-want-block-plans-scrapped/

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,822 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

just catching the tail end of this. Was the house knocked yet or what’s going on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Shoog

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Wrong thread

Post edited by Montage of Feck on

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,506 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Where are these applications that they were rejected on and other approved? Can you link to them?
    I highly doubt there was a conspiracy agaisnt them like you are claiming.

The legal restriction exists. Why do you think it doesn't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,785 ✭✭✭chooseusername

What powers would a council have to serve a Cease and Desist notice when it became obvious this was being built?

I mean it didn't appear overnight, and it wasn't hidden by a rick of straw bales.

It might still be stood there unfinished till now, but at least it wouldn't be classed as a home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,196 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Different country, different laws and different processes and procedures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Yakov P. Golyadkin

They can issue an immediate enforcement notice requiring the cessation of works, with fines etc to follow if the notice is ignored, and the developer/owner later convicted.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭danfrancisco83

Which will happen first, this house is demolished, or Metrolink is built?

My money is on Metrolink

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,785 ✭✭✭chooseusername

I know, it's the UK.

Do you know how the planning laws differ?

Advertisement