Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Problem with oil change

• 07-08-2024 11:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 8 SeanMC313

I'm trying to change the oil in a Seat Ibiza 2016, went and got all the pieces then saw this bolt I wasn't expecting. It's fairly striped and I don't have the right tools. What can I get or do to get this thing off without going to a mechanic as they told me they won't use the oil or anything that I already bought.

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭BrianD3

In this situation a vacuum pump is a useful thing to have assuming that you get a suitable one (some are crap as the tube is too short and/or too wide) and assuming that the car has a dipstick which apparently some don't.

I haven't removed a sump plug from any of my cars in years, have driven probably 300k kms in that time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Buffman

You need the correct tools for a start, and an ordinary allen key/hex key won't do it. You need the correct one on a ratchet or similar to give you the leverage to open it.

Your photo isn't great but it doesn't look too bad. When you have the correct size tool in the correct potion, I'd give it a tap of a hammer to seat it in as much as possible before opening.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles or cartons to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

That looks like it could be a 12mm hex bit. Fairly abused I might add.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 SeanMC313

Thanks for the answers 👍

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭Whocare

The proper tool and blowtorch heat it up would be handy and if that fails hammer 🔨 and chisel knock it open and new sump plug

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Is this the first time the car will have had an oil change under your ownership?

It looks like whoever did a previous oil change didn't have the correct tools for the job either, but ploughed on regardless

First oil change since buying the car yes, was hoping it would be straightforward enough 😅

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Either way, I'd be looking for a new sump plug, as that will just break your heart down the line…

get a replacement plug, and the correct Allen socket that fits to open/close it. Then carefully remove/destructively remove the old one.

Before you do anything you need a replacement sump nut ready to go for either you or mechanic.

You need a hex socket to get that off.

If it still won't come off then give it to mechanic as any method's to get it off if it is mangled you don't want to be doing on your drive, it would ideally be up on a ramp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭BlakeS94

Failing all else put a chisel/flathead screwdriver perpendicular on the edge of the bolt and hammer it untill it makes a cut, then put an angle on the chisel or screwdriver, and hammer it from there, should loosen it. If you have time go buy rounded hex remover bits.

Either way it needs a new drain bolt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

Get a vacuum pump as suggested so that there's no need to ever go near the sump for oil changes. Next time your car is in with a mechanic, get them to replace that bolt. Or else, bring the car to the mechanic now and keep the oil/filter you bought for the next change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭youtheman

If you don't want to use a vacuum pump then you can replace the sump plug (if you get it out!) with this device. Once you have it installed you are finished with the requirement to use any tool for ever more. Has a built in 'non return valve'. You just screw off the cap and plug in the hose with the special fitting.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭teediddlyeye

Ignore every other suggestion. Tap a spline into it.

Standard mechanics solution.

"I never thought I was normal, never tried to be normal."- Charlie Manson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭whippet

This all day long

or alternatively go with the nuclear option and set fire to the car … hopefully the inferno will burn off all the oil and you won't have to worry about the sump plug

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

That's a destroyed sump along with a mangled nut. The OP needs to bring the car to a garage and get the sump nut replaced, then they can buy a vacuum pump and do their own maintenance in future.

The fact that they are asking shows that they don't have the skill to fix the problem. No harm in trying to do DIY maintenance but sometimes you have to let the professionals fix the problem.

What are you on that could be only way open nut

Of course heat worth a try but not too much as near sensor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,165 ✭✭✭893bet

small chisel at the right angle and a hammer on the right direction and it will open easier. I have a sump been opening and closing for years like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭greasepalm

No to hammer and chisel as the sump is thin.

New sump bung and washer/seal.

No to that oil drain valve or you risk ripping it off the sump as bung will protrude and might take a knock.

Size wise bung looks smaller than 12 ? Always had many 17 , 14 ,12 , 10 ,8 , 7 , 6 sockets

• Advertisement

How will it damage the sump? You're only hammering on the bolt edge and you put a cut in it first so the chisel won't slip, and the chisel is pressed against the bolt and the hammer is swung at the chisel.

Had another go at it with the ratchet and hex bit. As well as giving it a little hammer and heating with a torch. It's tight as hell and only getting worse. Auto parts place told me maybe they can weld it to take it off.

Anyways looks like I'm going to have to throw in the towel and take it to the pros 😅. Like someone said I'll have to save all the oil/ replacement pieces for next time when I can do it myself.

Anyways thanks for all the help.

You're a greater man than I, I'd keep at it until I completely fcuked it up altogether 😂

At least next time you go to change the oil you know it'll be plain and simple.

Before you give up the idea someone gave above is a good shout of hammering a spline into it. You will sacrifice a spline but it's worked for me before

Hmm might have a look so and see if I can get one

You should get one in any motor factors or Halfords.

If it still won't come out try tightening it a little and then loosen, sometimes that can break the seal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,061 ✭✭✭kirving

Is it so tight that the Hex bit is spinning, or is the bit grabbing the bolt properly, but it still wont move?

If its the former, you could hammer a Torx bit into it and rotate that.

Tight where the hex is spinning, striping the bit unfortunately

Was in Halfords today, but wasn't sure what to get, will have another look tomorrow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Google tool needed for your sump bung as might give a size.

On a side note it's madness manufacturers ever got rid of nuts, these hex insert sump plugs are a nightmare. They get so tight with heat cycles they round even using the correct tools and not overtightening

This one looking at the pics looks absolutely destroyed, shame on the mechanic that re used that

Any I have replaced I use copper grease and just nip them up, don't even look at the torque specs which no doubt will overtighten them considering heat cycles. Never had an issue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,061 ✭✭✭kirving

It's probably not that tight so - just not getting purchase on it.

If you drained the sump with a pump, you could drill it, and then use a damage bolt extractor, but expect a mess. I'd still tray and hammer in a torx or spline bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Throwing this out there (and shout me down if I'm wrong) but could you tack weld a 13mm nut on to it then take it off with a ratchet and socket?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,770 ✭✭✭horse7

Vacuum pump only 15-20€ lidl or Aldi and you can use it on your next car

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,521 ✭✭✭✭Esel

They are seasonal in Lidl/Aldi and are not on sale most of the time.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement

Was thinking this might be the only option. Going to try the spline first. But if that fails I'll let the mechanic have a go. I bet they'll be so happy when they see it 😂

I bought one from Lidl a few years ago, piece of junk. I have yet to find a car that has enough room for the supplied hose to even fit down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Used my Lidl one for years with no problem, 1st time I used it I pulled the sump plug and not a drop of oil came out.

Well im sure it's great if it fits your car, I tried it on a few and it didn't fit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,770 ✭✭✭horse7

I've used it on a Tucson and a duster and an I10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Just buy a pump. About 40 quid in motor factors.

Takes ages to pump the oil out but very very handy and if your oil filter can be accessed from the top, does away with need to get under the car at all for oil change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Agreed, get a pump, but some are better than others. I have the free standing type with a handle that you push down. It takes about a minute to suck a few litres of oil out of the dipstick hole. About 70 euros on amazon.de. That is assuming that the car has a dipstick or other hole to extract the oil from.

Alternatively, the OP can fart around with chisels, hammers, splines, welders and blowtorchcs (what could possibly go wrong there in the vicinity of a pan of oil) Or else pay a garage to loosen the nut and change the oil. They won't have much change out of 70 euros labour for that. Also, sucking ou the oil and leaving the drain plug in situ is exactly what a garage would want to do unless instructed otherwise.

Advertisement