Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

(Site is a graveyard - How can boards save itself?) Any update?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Did you report these posts? If so, the mods should have acted on these. If not,why not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭con747

Posting because thread is stuck.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,051 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Can I answer that without someone accusing me of backseat moderation ?

Yes I did report them.

Nothing was done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

That is definitely wrong then. I don't think it is backseat modding to say you reported it and disagreed with the outcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,051 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Only one post was removed, the lunch money post, guess who received that warning.😄

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,184 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

it’s not bsm in feedback, “post reported” etc. in most all other forums is not really allowed afaik nor is on thread arguing with mods/moderation

• Administrators Posts: 54,009 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

To clarify on this.

If you pick up 5 active warning points you will be automatically sitebanned by Vanilla itself, without any intervention from mods or admins.

Unfortunately, due to how Vanilla works, it is possible for mods to ban users without having accumulated those 5 points, sometimes unintentionally due to a confusing UI.

However, we have been clear with mods that site banning users is not within their remit (unless it's the auto site ban for 5 points). Site banning (permanent site bans) are something only admins should be doing.

If a user thinks they've been sitebanned by a mod without picking up those 5 points they should email us or re-reg and open a thread and their ban will be lifted immediately.

Yes, I have overturned plenty of warnings and bans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,191 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Do warning points stay for a certain time period or for life @awec

Appreciate your responses too @awec and @Spear

They expire.

If you get 1 point warning it expires after 1 week and 2 points after 2 weeks. Therefore you'd need to accumulate the 5 points within a relatively short period of time to trigger the automatic site ban.

When I say "expire", I mean they are no longer active, but they still appear to on your record. If a user's record is bad enough to come to our attention then they can be given a warning that further mod sanctions will trigger a more severe ban.

E.g. if a user was consistently picking up sanctions but not quite at the rate required to trigger an automatic ban they can still be given a manual (and usually temporary) ban by an admin if their record was poor enough over a sustained period of time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,398 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

You can see how long they're active for on your profile. Click on your avatar, select view profile and scroll down to the bottom, you'll see an option called Moderation. That will have all your warnings, the points, how long they're active for or if they've expired.

It was clarified that a mod might be less lenient if you've accumulated loads. I think it was Beasty, but I'm not searching for it or arguing over it. 😁

ETA - Awec saved me the trouble!

Yes though again, to be clear, mods should only be less lenient if you have accumulated loads of sanctions within their forum. A user having 50 sanctions in CA should have zero influence on what sanction they get in the Soccer forum, for example.

Assessing sanctions across a category is the remit of a cmod, and assessing sanctions across the site is the remit of admins.

Of course this is speaking generally, there are caveats to this but this is by and large how it should work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

I never knew that, thanks.

(14 warnings in 15 months! Jaysis... And some say lefty posters are never warned...!)

Ah, but how many would you have if you were right leaning?

*That's a joke, I'm not looking for evidence either way. 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,124 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

How do you know nothing was done?

I believe from past Feedback the mods don't have time to report back to the person reporting a post whether they actioned them or not ...and I don't believe they have to either .

Maybe they did warn the poster but did not feel those posts were offensive enough to remove ?

The old system where yellow and red cards were given on the thread while a bit basic certainly was more of an indication of moderation and warning to others .

But you are arguing that people should not be reporting others , are you ?

Or are you upset that those you reported have not been removed ?

Which is it ?

Asking because I thought a few were nasty , some were funny and clever but quite a few would have upset the person they were directed at , which was the intention .

I liked the lunchmoney one and the concussed into next month have to admit ;p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,962 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I always find this argument hilarious and I"ve seen it crop up repeatedly in all the incarnations of the "mod bias/censorship" threads.

What upsets people so much about the supposed amount of reports made?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Because it’s bullying if it’s used to get people removed from discussions.

I recently received a warning for having agreed with another poster. I queried why I received a warning when the other post remained on thread. Neither mod nor cmod could be bothered to explain this inconsistency and it took an admin to reverse the warning. I can only assume that my post had been reported, and that the other one had not.

Obviously people will report others, and mods will act on these reports without checking full context as they have confirmed that they lack capacity to do this. There are undoubtedly cases where people go out of their way to misinterpret and misrepresent posts though just to be able to report them.

What’s unacceptable is the refusal to engage with evidence when a decision is being queried or challenged. It’s therefore unsurprising when posters, who have been on the receiving end of this, suspect certain bias to be at play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,946 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Is “context” important if I break the rules? If I reply, in kind, to someone attacking me, and my post is reported, I will get a warning. If the, initial, rule breaker is reported, they will get a warning. If not, it’s all on me.

If I start blubbering at the mod ‘but…but…but…they did this!’ it means nothing, I broke the rules and will get punished for it. Expecting mods to read over every thread and forensically analyse every post to garner some sort of justification for breaking the rules is pie in the sky stuff.

The site is struggling, that’s plain to see, the mods, and admins, are spread thin and they have asked us, the users, to assist in the “policing” of the site through reporting, not engaging, with rule breakers.

Instead of taking “pot shots” and criticising the mods, for giving perfectly valid warnings, and constantly wasting their time with, spurious, appeals in the “Dispute Resolutions” forum maybe users could adjust their aggressive, and angry, posting style and work with the mods, and admins, for once.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,213 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Surely, if a poster gets banned for 'off topic posting ' as a result of trying to stand up against bullying, then that's a valid reason to argue your case?

Surely you should be able to ask the mod to read the posts replied to, and apply some fairness?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,962 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

But this is just as insane a logic as ever and just reaching desperately for conspiracy to avoid accepting a rule break.

No one has ever been warned because they were reported. I could post "the sky is blue". That could be reported a hundred times and absolutely nothing would happen because it didn't break the rules.

Blaming reports for getting a warning is the same logic as blaming a bullet for killing someone rather than the person firing the gun. Its utterly illogical, "context" might be a new buzzword but its of absolutely no relevance.

• Administrators Posts: 14,291 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

It was said in the previous thread, I would estimate at least 50% of reported posts don't require moderator action. You will not be warned simply because your post was reported. 100 people could report a post and it will not be actioned if no action is deemed necessary.

Just because someone else also broke the rules isn't a defence for you breaking rules and expecting to get away with it. If anything it should result in the other poster also being warned rather than your warning being overturned.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

The warning in my example had been reversed because there had been no breaking of “rules” or else the other poster would have been warned too. In “” because they are so pliable that they can be used to issue off topic or trolling warnings when it suits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

Just because someone else also broke the rules isn't a defence for you breaking rules and expecting to get away with it. If anything it should result in the other poster also being warned rather than your warning being overturned.

Emphasis on should… but in reality, that doesn't seem to be happening. Because we keep being told mods "don't have time" to look at context.

This is where cliques come into it. A clique will pile on, and selectively deride, push, and provoke for a reaction, then report when the poster does eventually react, until they succeed in either bullying them off the thread, or getting them threadbanned. I've seen it happen many times, and not just on CA or AH.

And let's be honest here in the spirit of "feedback". We are constantly being reminded that "mods are human" or that mods are volunteers. Which they are, but it also explains why there are some who are simply unable to be objective, and moderate objectively, in the areas they have control over. The excuse of "no time" especially falls flat, when they are actively posting on threads themselves, but letting such behaviour pass unchallenged.

• Administrators Posts: 14,291 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Emphasis on should… but in reality, that doesn't seem to be happening

Which is why I used the word "should".

Thank you for the "feedback".

Thank you for acknowledging that Admin are aware of this.

Poster X reacts to goading and snaps, gets a warning or threadban and then appeals it.

During the appeal poster X points out the goading of posters A, B, C and D. Poster X is told they have no right to know if posters A - D were sanctioned but can see them posting away on the thread in the same manner with impunity while their appeal was unsuccessful.

That's what annoys people, and it IS a double standard. If a behaviour exhibited by one poster merits mod action, it should merit mod action for all posters contributing in the same manner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,184 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

One of the biggest reasons an otherwise actionable post may not get actioned because you reported it is if you a) report it and then b) engage it on thread. The best thing to do if you think a reported post should be handled by a mod is not engage it, don’t quote it in your posts, move on with the topic. It’s having your cake and eating it too to report a post to a mod expecting it to be deleted etc and then engaging the post like you feel it belongs in the continuity of the thread. Otherwise simply known as “don’t feed.”

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement