Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2024 Olympic Games, Paris - Athletics thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Some Irish athletes haven't been picked for being overseas and not showing locally for nationals. While some are given an exemption due to talent(don't mean college athletes btw).

Also national finals performances are overlooked in order to fit people into teams.

We've had some great marathon runners male and female who've hit standards and won nationals not selected too in years gone by.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭drury..

I'll be interested to hear MJ and the beebs view on the women's 400 , he's knowledgeable

I don't believe for a minute he was clean. All except him of his 4*400 team was busted

Don't believe in this random calling out of athletes based on times

I'll call it 4th anyhow here

A medal will be fantastic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

Bronze hopefully.

Nobody's talking about Wiliams.

Retrospective bronze incoming after Naser gets tested.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

We always said she'd need to go sub 49 to medal, and that's how it played out. A bit disappointing but she still ran a good race, beaten by two superior athletes and unfortunately a doper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

All things considered, a very good run. With maybe 80m to go it looked, for just a second, as if the bronze might be on but it would have needed a big PB, which would have been a big ask in those conditions. She'll be devastated with 4th again I'm sure, but very commendable after the poor semi final.

Paulino is terrific. What a runner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭secman

As a former Tallaght AC member, very proud of Rhasidat , she did the club and country proud, she will get stronger and faster, still a relatively novice athlete at the 400m.

Hopefully she goes in the 4X 400m tomorrow and they get on the podium. Well done Rhasidat 👏

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭Expunge

Brendan O Dowda's granddaughter representing GB in the Heptathlon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 100 ✭✭migemo

Anyone else think that if Rhasidat cut that damn beautiful head of hair down a bit, she might run a fraction faster. Must be a kilo or 2 in weight, let alone the drag. The first 2 past the post were short haired, and third wasn't sporting a lot. This is not a criticism, just a meandering thought of someone who knows nothing about it.

• Advertisement

Paulino ran 4th fastest time ever which is basically a world record time since the 3 fastest times were by drugs cheats.

She has history, look it up. I believe once banned like that olympics should be out of their reach.

Wouldn't surprise me if Hassan wins this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Would you give over with such nonsense. The record books are what they are. Ask Shericka Jackson if she feels like she's the 200m world record holder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭gipi

Yep, Callum O'Dowda's sister (he's an Irish international footballer)

I'd be very surprised if she can beat Chebet in her current form. I do think she can medal though.

Batocletti! Wow!! Thrilled for her after missing a medal in the 5k.

Another medal for Hassan, just the marathon to go now. I wonder what's going on with Tsegay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Healy is consistently faster than Cadden. Her time will come, but she’s too inexperienced right now to throw into an Olympic final. Healy will reliably deliver a low 51 leg.

• Advertisement

Paulino is amazing. Adeleke ran really well. Unfortunately, she was just beaten by three better athletes on the night. She’ll bounce back in future WCs and Olympia. The relay gives her something to focus on tomorrow. It would be quite something if she could run a leg for the ages.

She would've won gold in every Olympics from 04 to 16 and medalled in every Olympics except 96, so it was a ridiculously fast race.

I'm still hopeful of the girls tomorrow.

I think they're so positive and on such a high they'll run the race of their life.

They've nothing to lose really so should just go for it.

I hope Adeleke can lift herself. She looks so disappointed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Had a few euro on Battocletti to medal at 7/2, of course never enough when you win. Class act.Woeful stuff putting her in bronze for the 5k and then changing their minds again. Decent show by Valby.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Fr D Maugire

Heartbreaking for Rhasidat, especially with Naser coming out of nowhere to be in this form. She ran 49.66 less than a month ago which was her best time this season and improved on that by over a second in Paris, dodgy as anything.

I will say that I don't think Rhasidat has progressed enough this year, Paulino, Kaczmarek, Anning, Holmes and Jaeger all improved on their PBs this year by between .50 up to a second. Rhasidat only improved by .13 and ran faster to win her NCAA title last year than tonight. She barely raced the 400m before the Olympics and I wonder would it have been better to develop her endurance more by running more actual 400m races.

She is young though and is ahead of the likes of Paulino and Kaczmarek in her development at the same age. However it is an event that is getting stronger, but hopefully her time will come.

Will be interesting to see how Hassan does in the marathon on Sunday, assuming she runs. It's a very tough course, but Olympic marathons are never particularly fast anyway so I think she'd be in with a chance of winning it, and I hope she does. If she could walk away from Paris with a marathon gold and two track bronze medals then that would be a phenemonal achievement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,043 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

You would have to fancy them to be in with a strong shout of a medal. Becker, Adeleke, Healy and Mawdsley all seem to be in great shape this week and there is no weak link in this chain.

Some great points in there. Great call out on Jaeger too. She’s actually a year younger than Rhasidat and was a multi-eventer until 18 months ago! If she continues progressing at this rate she could be a thorn in all their sides for years to come.

Hope they're not fatigued.

They've done lots of running in the past week. Maybe they're just warming up!

It would be the cherry on the cake if they medal as they're quite high profile and most people know them a few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,580 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Yes, this.

Hadn't the times to hand, but it did seem to me that she hadn't managed to improve over the last while, while others have. Olympics are all about peaking at the correct time....

Anning has been very impressive during this meet, I hadn't figured into her at all.

Adaleke is a huge talent at 21,but she does need proper handling and coaching to advance to world medals. I hope she does it, and is handled properly. I dunno of she can raise herself again for tomorrow, hopefully she can.

The raw material is there, but the higher up the tree you reach, the harder it is to pick the fruit....

• Advertisement

She seems to finish much stronger in that NCAA race although the times are very similar.

NCAA : 49:20

Olympics: 49:28

Advertisement