Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,896 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

So you have no official figures on the costs, just fancied a rant about it then?

Oh so it will be above €200million in the makey-uppy world then? Maybe the €2million per day being paid to accommodate illegals could go towards paying for your mythical costs relating to attacks etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭DaithiMa

Oh I definitely think the scumbags that are going down the arson route are a tiny minority. No doubt about it. That wasn't my point though, as you well know. You repeatedly insinuate that only a 'tiny, tiny minority' have any concerns about our immigration policies.

I would say, as the poll suggests, that at least 72% of normal minded people think O'Gorman and the government and the EU have made an absolute mess of immigration in the last decade. We'd have been let vote on (and fully debate) the migration pact if the government thought the electorate would vote the way they wanted.

I've never said Ireland is full, although plenty of hotels are full up and down the country right now but not with tourists. Oh to be a hotelier at the moment...

As for your loaded questions on affluent areas, yes I do think they should be taking their fair share. It's never going to happen though. Much easier to send them to disadvantaged or rural areas because it's much easier to paint these communities as backwards racists if they do disagree with the numbers being foisted on them with zero consultation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,458 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

The fundamental issue is that demand for asylum services is always going to outstrip supply.

The logical solution to an excess of demand is to impose a limit. Instead we're doing the opposite, throwing more money at the problem which will only encourage more demand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,917 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Explain how you would implement your limit Francie. Not just a vague concept of having one, but the logistics of it and how you would apply it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

increasing the number of safe countries would be a start

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

If that wasn't your point, that was what you responded to.

I never said only a tiny, tiny amount have concerns about our immigration policies. I have concerns myself. I don't think there's anything but a tiny minority support the violence, or the spewing hatred about 'bogus' asylum seekers etc.

From what I've seen of this poll, and I'm looking at the Newstalk reporting, it doesn't suggest what you think it does at all. That's pure speculation.

As for affluent areas, I think it's quite reasonable that affluent areas take asylum seekers too, but if going the private market route I would think cost is a then factor.

But you answered this question to tell me that this was the coherent demand of the protestors, is this all their demanding? So all these sites will still take IPA accommodation once affluent areas do too?

I made it quite clear that was an estimate on my part.

Now maybe you can answer who you think will be paying for the arson attacks, intimidation of workers, violent riots etc? And how much do you think this will cost?

That has zero relevance to a simplistic limit. You either have a limit or you don't.

”you’re from x country, that’s a safe country and you’re unable to claim asylum” is putting a limit. Are you suggesting nothing can be done and we just have to suck it up?

• Advertisement

You can still claim asylum even if you are from a safe country of origin. Provided you can submit serious grounds that the country is not safe in terms of your circumstances. This is well known. Harder to prove perhaps but the processing times are the real problem.

That's not how 'safe' countries work. A 'safe' country just means you're processed more quickly and you have to go further in proving the threat against you.

apologies @Cluedo Monopoly and @MegamanBoo , I stand corrected. In that case I still say the safe countries list should be increased and faster processing times of those from a safe country

Yeah we'd all love faster processing times but who exactly in this god awful government will provide that anytime soon??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

RDS grounds in D4 would perfect location for refugee site.

I think you misunderstand the meaning of the word "limit".

Rather than confusing the issue, just explain what you want. Pretending it is something else will not help your argument. You can of course be pedantic if you want and argue that "zero" is technically a limit. The mirror of your "argument" would be someone arguing that "there should be a maximum allowance of people allowed to come in from country X" ….. and when asked what that maximum should be they admit "a million billion people".

As someone else explained above, you cannot realistically aim for a zero limit anyway under international obligations. So people will still have to be processed.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Gussie Scrotch

It can be done.

https://economymiddleeast.com/news/sweden-breaks-50-year-trend-transforms-from-welcoming-haven-to-net-emigration/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,706 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

There already is an asylum centre in D4. There isnt one in a lot of other Dublin postcodes though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,534 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

apart from baiting why? the gov doesnt do CPO for this I think, and sure give the RDS a call and tell them you know how to make them more money lol

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭InAtFullBack

Every "refugees welcome" flag carrying advocate should be housing the migrants on their own street or in their own house.

It's well and dandy, trendy even (to some) to be offering up everyone else's taxes to pay for migrants when poll after poll shows the public don't wan't more mass-migration.

When the streets of the 'refugees welcome' brigade are full, when their houses are full - send in more migrants. Maybe when Foxrock and Ballsbridge have 800,000 migrants between them will the penny finally drop that we cannot sustain the numbers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭jackboy

I'm not sure how faster processing times will make a significant difference. Regardless of the application results we are never going to deport more than tiny numbers. When they are in the country it is already too late to do anything.

Some opinions aren't really thought through. Particularly this one of calling for the housing of loads more immigrants in expensive areas. If you get what you wish for, at what point do you think the penny will drop when some chancer is getting off a boat and having a 7 figure apartment bought for his use in an area that the majority of people would never be able to afford.

A disused paint factory in Coolock versus a penthouse 1-bed in Foxrock, sign me up for the latter please if I'm looking for somewhere to claim asylum. The lads over in France will only let me in a tent and then to accommodation in a poor neighbourhood if I'm lucky. Foxrock baby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,896 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

You can rant away about it, but as you don't have any idea what the costs are or who's paying for it then i'd be more concerned with the millions of Euro being spent each day to house, feed and medically treat all the new migrants.

Denmark doesn't look too content to me, they seem to be trying for some kind of last minute sign up to the migration pact.

https://cphpost.dk/2024-05-21/news/politics/denmark-leads-15-member-states-in-call-to-outsource-eu-migrant-policy/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭nachouser

It's all been shared before, but no-one cares to engage.

Naw, apartments and penthouses in Foxrock costing seven-figures are well worth every dime in this instance. I'd also advocate CPO'ing some of the big gardens around those areas too - especially the ones with tennis courts and the odd pool out back. Such a waste of good land that could be used instead to provide facilities to our own ethnic minority traveller community.

How many caravans and hiaces could fit in a standard tennis court?

Perhaps the unused factory in Coolock could be restarted as another employer for that area in turn generating taxes to CPO Foxrock tennis courts.

A win-win I call that: The Coolock locals get gainful employment once more, and the 'refugees welcome' brigade out in Foxrock get the diversity they so crave.

You see, you're not really thinking things through. You are being driven by bitterness and begrudgery. On one hand, you appear to be against money and resources being spent on asylum seekers, and on the other hand you'd prefer the State to provide accommodation to them at 7-figues a pop. It's a bit schizophrenic.

• Advertisement

Well, if you've been following the news lately you'll have read that this government is going ahead with Coolock, Dundrum, etc… at all costs - just as they did in Roscrea and NewtownMountKennedy

So, it's happening at all costs regardless.

One common theme with Coolock, Dundrum, Roscrea and Newtownmountkennedy has been the majority of locals in these areas objecting to the placement of migrants in the area.

On the other-hand I see counter-objectors who wave 'refugees welcome' banners and call the Coolock locals tropes such as racist and far-right, with the vast majority of these counter-objectors coming from quite affluent areas such as Foxrock, et all.

Now, wouldn't common sense guide you to arrive at a conclusion that any government shouldn't be placing migrants in areas where they're not overly welcome - you know, communities that are apparently 'far-right', 'racist', and all that lark. Wouldn't it make much more sense to place migrants in areas where banners of 'refugees welcome' adorn the bedroom walls of salubrious upper-middle class homes in leafy suburban Dublin?

After all, who's counting the 'at all costs' when it comes to other people's money - this government certainly don't. Just up the 'ante' and for once, fook over the D4 crowd.

Advertisement