Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I just had a job interview...

• 09-08-2024 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

So,
    Had a job interview with Dunnes recently. Was in 10 minutes early and out in 5 minutes…

They asked me no real questions. Asked where i live, how i get there.

Hardly asked anything work related.

and i was out .

HR Manager sat next to interviewer staring at me with evil intent.

They said they would call me .

Did i get the job?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,330 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Is your bum really fluffy? Similarly to your question, there’s no way to tell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

This is one of your first interviews OP.

I've gone to interviews where it was a borefest for both me and interviewer and job interviews where the interviewer just took the pi $$ out of me

EDIT And yes some of these interviews were advised by social welfare at the time.

You have a bit of growing up to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,865 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Sounds about right for Dunnes. Management get no training so they are clueless when it comes to anything formal like an interview.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Who knows!

They get loads of cvs every week.

They called you for interview so you've obviously made it past the first selection process.

Alot of branches like hiring local enough so staff can be called in on short notice and no excuses for being late etc.

Sounds like they were checking your appearance out and how you handle yourself.

It's a job that doesn't need qualifications, so depending on your work history there may not be many questions to ask.

They are not going to spend an hour asking about your life (cos they really don't care) for a stockroom worker. They may spend a smidge more time on customer facing roles just to ensure you can string a sentence together.

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 2 fluffybum

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭pygmaliondreams

Did OP say it was one of their first interviews? Seems unrelated to the post.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Well you obviously have the basic attributes need to do the job, but I suspect you let yourself in how you presented. When you get to the interview establishing a good rapport with the interviewer is key and clearly that did not happen because they couldn't care less what your work experience was.

And turning up early is never a good idea, because what you are doing is cutting in on the 10 or 15 mins the interviewers have set aside to go to the toilet, get a coffee, return a phone call etc….

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,279 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

I reckon you'll be getting a start date fairly soon and instructions on what to wear. They're lucky to have you fluffybum and l can see you rising through the ranks in no time at all.

Best of luck.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭Allinall

Have to disagree with the last paragraph.

Turning up 10- 15 minutes early is to be recommended. It allows for any delays, and sends a good message to a prospective employer.

The alternative is to arrive early and stand outside like a spare … and count down to the exact time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭McCrack

Being early for any appointment is just as bed as being late.

Just be on time, nothing more, nothing less

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Any recruiter I've ever dealt with in my life has recommended being 10 minutes early for an interview. It allows for a busy receptionist, time to sign in at security, etc etc etc. Plus, any hiring manager/HR team doing back-to-back interviews is an amateur, imo. Amongst many other things, you don't want candidates crossing paths on the way in and out.

To answer the OP: nobody here knows if you got the job, we're not psychic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

How so it's a job in Dunnes they just want someone who's a functioning human and will show up to work every day and do as told. It's not exactly the most complicated job in the world.

All the questions asked were perfectly reasonable they want someone who get to work easily and not someone who'll be late as a result of missing buses etc. Could be concerned for the likes of lone females walking home from work late at night too.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

standing somewhere like a spare trumps PO the person who is about to interview you, but hi it's your one chance to make the good impression… do as you will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,086 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I interviewed candidates for many years and I would never have thought badly of somebody being 10 minutes early. Quite the opposite in fact. If we had a planned toilet break or coffee break we'd still take it. The candidate won't mind as they were early anyway. And who is standing anywhere? Ever hear of seats?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭Allinall

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭SVI40

Sweet mother of God, I've never heard such rubbish. Obviously you've never interviewed anyone. You take a seat in reception, and await your turn. Not stand around like a spare trump, or maybe that is something you do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭greenpilot

What?

I'd say OP is late teens, very early 20's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,032 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

There's a big difference between in-person interviewing for a corporate / professional /technical job and interviewing for a job like Dunnes stores.

Corp / prof / tech - be 10-15 mins early. Expect to sign in, wait in a reception area, and deal with a receptionist who has to message the interviewer that you've arrived.

Retail / cafe - be there 3-5 minutes early. Expect to be interviewed in the customer area of the cafe, in a back room behind the shop (maybe a proper meeting room in a BIG supermarket), or a nearby cafe. And to have to wait around in a public area, where you may well look out of place and make other people uncomfortable, and see other candidates.

Broad brush stuff here, of course. But don't try to apply expectations from one context to others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

And at the end the day all are a job, all have the same aim to pay the bills at the end of the day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Dunnes interviews are very basic (I was a manager with them) like others have said the role doesn't require much experience or skill, they were probably checking to make sure you are physically fit etc.

I actually cursed by accident in my interview and still got the job 😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Kurooi

If it's a simple job they just want to see a pair of hands, you come in sober and dressed, they don't need to go into your life aspirations.

If not, well I've been to job interviews and have on the other side seen some too, where a job is already filled, or of the few candidates invited back one or two made a very strong impression. It sucks but sometimes it's absolutely not your fault and you were written off before you came through the door.

Also it's a numbers game. They will look at 200 candidates, interview 15, take 1.

You have to likewise be comfortable with looking at 200 jobs, interview for 5, take 1.

Advertisement