Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are Work Breaks mandatory for a full time contract?

• 08-08-2024 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭

Hi folks I hope you are all keeping well.

I really wanted to get your input on this situation as it's shocking to me. My friend works as a support care worker in some kind of assisted living on a fixed full time contract (39 hours). She was telling me she does not get breaks and is expected to be working for the entirety of her shift. This is shocking to me as there is no designated breaks on her schedule. She worked 2 consecutive 12 hour shifts (Tuesday & Wednesday of this week) each from 10am to 10pm. Just on a separate issue; should that be allowed? Surely 12 hour shifts should be broken up in the days and not be consecutive?

I have no clue in this industry so your input would be much appreciated. Just comparing to my line of work; I work for a Canadian company in Waterford for life insurance on a full time basis and I i get two 15 minute breaks and a 45 minute lunch break and 15 minute personal time. The idea of doing a full 7.8 shift with no breaks sounds outrageous to me and I just do admin stuff; never mind hard physical labor looking after patients in assisted living that I would imagine is physically and mentally demanding.

So my question; is this normal or is the employer chancing their arm?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,467 ✭✭✭cml387

Work breaks are a statutory requirement. Your friend should look up the details in citizens adviice.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment-rights-and-conditions/hours-of-work/work-breaks-and-rest-periods/

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,356 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Well I never had breaks written into my contract, but they always happened although some people did not bother taking them. Has your friend been prevented from taking breaks or is it just a worl culture thing where their colleagues are not taking breaks. There is a difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,011 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Consecutive 12 hour shifts is pretty normal: you're on for 3-4 days, and then off for 3-4 days. Some people like this, because it gives them longer blocks of time off.

Breaks in some assisted-living support work can be different. It's easy enough (with management will) if you're in an institution, with multiple staff who can cover each others breaks.

But if you're sole-charge in a private home or small group-home, then there's no one to cover for you, and it's really disruptive for the clients to have a different support worker come on-site for just 1/2 an hour. Normally it's possible for you take personal care time (meals, toilet stops) during the day alongside the clients. I don't know how they word the employment contracts - because, you are right, breaks are a legal requirement in Ireland - but there must be a way.

fyi, the breaks you get are particularly generous, and a lot more than Irish law requires, which is roughly speaking a paid 15 minute if you work less than 6 hours, and an unpaid 30 minute if you work 6 hours or more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭con___manx1

Minium requirement is a 15 minute then 30 and and a 45 minute last break for a 12 hour shift. 3 breaks in total

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 209 ✭✭Clashmore

I work in a residential unit on 12 hour shifts, we are entitled to 60 minutes, generally broken up into two 30 minutes in an ideal world these are non-interrupted, unfortunately not always the case.

With the two 12hr shifts in a row, there must be a break of 11 hours between shifts. And a 24hr period off work in a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 371 ✭✭Ted222

In answer to your question, it may be normal in some sectors but it’s certainly not legal.

Breaks are obligatory but are rarely paid. It may suit a person therefore to work through and leave earlier than would otherwise be possible if they took the break.

Assuming your friend needs or wants a break, they could insist of the employer making adequate provision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,226 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

How in the name of God can you take personal care time sitting alongside people incapable of looking after themselves?

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Advertisement