Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

We’ve Only Just Begun 2024

• 18-07-2024 11:55am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭

https://www.whelanslive.com/event/weve-only-just-begun-2024/

The last festival I went to was either Lisdoonvarna or Castlebar when I was 17 or 18, and at this stage of my life, the thought of using a plastic toilet for the weekend fills me with absolute dread so I have avoided them.

However, a 3 day festival that’s a 20 minute bus ride from home, where all the bands are just starting off and the tickets cost €15 was music to my ears.

Anyone else going?

Starting this thread to garner interest and hopefully provide a diary of the bands playing.

Bring it on!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,792 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Yep, looks great, fantastic value. Might dive in myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 RangerToby

Deffo check out Shark School and Thanks Mom.

Caught Shark School at BTP in June - Promising bit of grungy punk

Thanks Mom where at Forest Fest and equally a promising rock angst and cracking female vocals but the Drummer makes this band with brilliant fill and beat variations in all their tracks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

And we’re off! An 8pm start. 12:30 finish I believe.

Decarteret

5-piece from Cork, late-teens, funk/r&b, very proficient. Very confident lead singer, lovely voice. 

Great start……

Maria Kelly

As soon as she said she sings sad songs, the whole audience just moved forward. 🤯

We’ll see……

Despite being so laid back, she has the audience in the palm of her hand. Folksy/blues.

1st toilet break: 4 minutes there and back

• Advertisement

Why don’t older people go to small gigs?

Quick (that took ages) dash upstairs to see….

Emma Noodles

Hmmmmm.

Back downstairs quick….

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,792 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Heroic reportage, Gloomtastic. Keep it going!

Amy Michelle

Such a clean sound. Singer/lead guitar, second guitar and a bloke squatting on the floor playing a box. To come across this effortless takes talent. Lead singer’s voice is amazing despite her saying she was losing it. My favourite so far. 

Quicker dash back upstairs cos I think I know where I’m going now. Only caught the last number from

Ezra Williams

• Advertisement

Niamh Bury

Country/folk/trad singer who writes some really good tunes with some nice original riffs. 

Downstairs finished about 11:15. Home to bed, work in the morning…..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 268 ✭✭CoffeeImpala

This was a very stripped back set-up from when I've seen her before and as you've said she was very good as a result. I wasn't sure if it was the act I'd seen before until she switched from the acoustic to the lilac electric.

I also don't seem to have a note of having seen her at EP22 despite clearly remembering having a conversation with Mucker while watching the performance. I had to go find the post to be sure I wasn't losing it. Now that the track and other commercial pop bits have been dropped she sounds much more like what I was expecting back then. I doubt tonight's set-up is their usual one.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/119588726/#Comment_119588726

To fill in the gaps for upstairs:

Dream Boy - These were very good. Let's call it indie rock of some description. I was little distracted making arrangements for next weekend but would definitely catch again.

Emma Noodles - Not quite there yet but maybe has potential. I wouldn't be paying to see them just yet.

Ezra Williams - There was a lot of chat between songs that took a while to die down once the song started. Wasn't as good as I would have expected given the potential evident in the Smoothboi Ezra days. Playing with a bigger band in Fishtown on Friday at 7.

Violet - Vocals, Drums, and keys/synth. Reasonably entertaining pop with a strong vocal.

Great night’s sleep. Did it rain? It may have done…..😋

8pm start, on the button.

Dose

Hmmm. The keyboard player had an interesting voice.

Forgot to take pic. It’s Friday! 😎

Next…….

Rachel Mae Hannon

They should lower the instruments so her voice can shine. They’re drowning her.

Yep, still happening…..

€10 in Whelan’s for two bottles of 0.0 lager.

Bands are on and off in 15 minutes. Exactly as a concert should be. House controls all the sound system/engineers and drums. Bands just bring their instruments.

set list

Cela …….

Just getting better and better, killer guitar playing. 

• Advertisement

That was worth the €15 alone. Lead was fantastic and totally owned it but the guitarist was fantasticer, those sounds!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,088 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Loving the reviews Gloomy, they'll inform my commute soundtrack next week

Did you catch Shark School? I like what I've heard so far

Cruel Sister

At last a bit of Noise! 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 268 ✭✭CoffeeImpala

That'd be Sara from Pillow Queens playing keys/synth in front of an audience for the first time because the usual musician was on honeymoon. I arrived a little late as they were starting a slow song which didn't really sit well with me. Thankfully for the rest of the set Lizzie's "Bitch Falcon" vocal really shone through. Significantly improved on the last time I saw them.

Rachel Mae Hannon seems to be going for a different interpretation of her music every time I've seen her perform. Tonight's lounge singer style was not for me.

Thanks Mom, Shark School, and Cruel Sister were all really good.

Celaviedmai was quite energetic but I wasn't paying a whole lot of attention. I arrived down halfway through their set because I watched Stella and the Dreaming, who's music was (as described by someone behind me) "so beautiful", until the end. I then left quite quickly to get back upstairs for Shark School.

Spooklet to finish . I'd previously seen her perform at another multi stage event and left very quickly to catch anything else. With no other options I sat down and let the bassy track wash over me. Probably not an act I'd choose to see again but I was enjoying the music by the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Granite Head

Thanks for the reviews Gloomtastic!. What were the crowd numbers like? Hopefully it is a success for all involved.

2024 Gigs and Events: Jarlath Regan, Depeche Mode, Roisin Murphy, Pip Blom, Nouvelle Vogue, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, Murder Capital, Pixies, The Stranglers, Liam Gallagher & John Squires, The Jesus & Mary Chain, DJ Shadow, Cam Cole, Fight Like Apes, The Hives, Somebody's Child, Kacey Musgraves, Sprints, Nadine Shah, Jane Weaver, Bob Log lll, Jimmy Carr, Richard Hawley, Beyond The Pale, LCD Sound System, Patti Smith, Night & Day Festival, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, The Beat, Muirean Bradley, All Together Now, Electric Picnic, Bonny Prince Billy, Phospherescant, Ride, Dirt Birds, Melts Arab Strap, Tommy Tiernan, The Last Dinner Party, St. Vincent, John Grant, Iron & Wine x2, Therapy, Ezra Collective, Nick Cave, Peter Hook & The Light, Idles, Khruangbin, Lightning Seeds, Vampire Weekend, Fontaines DC, Confidence Man, Amble

Downstairs was quiet on Thursday but nicely packed last night. Upstairs was packed on Thursday so imagine it was even busier last night but I stayed downstairs all night.

https://open.spotify.com/artist/4c61VuJuumv26ISGZ4VzcO?si=8eaoJubfS-KwkRc1zKwgGQ

Thanks. Here you go for starters. You can’t make out that guitarist from the tracks but he was amazing live.
    Shark School were upstairs so missed them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,632 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Strange name for a festival sounds like it was taken from Slade's Xmas hit. 😀

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

I think it’s a great name, even though some of them have been going for years.

Just realised this morning when watching a promo for it on YouTube that all the leads are female/non-binary. 🤯

• Advertisement

Kick-off in 4 minutes

Advertisement