Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2024 DCM Mentored Novices Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 278 ✭✭Lockster

I’m looking at investing in some of the Rundawear boxers but how do you find the fit? I’ve ones from Decathlon at the moment but they’re not seamless and I have to go a size up from my day to day Penny’s boxers. With them being so expensive don’t want to make a mistake on the size. Thanks for your help

• Registered Users Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭slingerz

hard week this week was away on holidays during the week and then had a nightmare night with the kids before the long run. Took in the parkrun at the start of the long run with a buddy who was doing a slow run. There slow is a different slow to mine and I was hurting for the remaining 6K. Every day is a school day I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭SimpleDimple

Hard but good week. I started with a heavy gym session on Monday which had me with doms for my Tuesday easy 3 miles. Wednesday was 6 miles “at pace” and I was flayed after it. It was one of those runs where I was left thinking “Can I do this pace for the full distance?”. Thursday 3 miles easy, and from the preceding 3 days it was all I could do to muddle through it. To be honest those 3 were treadmill runs, I don’t know was it just a warm week, but the humidity in the gym really hit me. I think going forward if possible I’ll do the longer Wednesday run outdoors.

Saturday was 9 miles long and slow, and I felt very strong. I wasn’t watching the clock too strictly and just kept comfortable and came in at around the planned marathon pace with no complaints. I’m very aware that this was a step back week, but it was nice to have a “short” run on Saturday morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Hope you enjoyed your break away. I generally ask that people factor in their holiday into their training plan - so there's not that worry of not hitting mileage in that week and treat it as a down week. It's nice to incorporate a parkrun into a long run, especially for a bit of company if you usually do the long run on your own. It must have been a real battle with the mind in the last couple of miles with tiredness. I've sometimes done a long run with the parkrun at the end and parkrun can work as a welcome distraction and the crowd would bring you along.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,070 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Finally had my first good week in the training plan. By that I mean I followed the plan, completed all the runs and didn't scale back.

Knee pain thankfully has subsided for now, took the plunge on the physio and in fairness he's been excellent so far, correctly diagnosed and has me on the road to recovery.

Really struggled during the week with the heat, felt like there was no air at all and easy runs felt difficult, thankfully this morning's run felt good.

One issue I'm having though and I've had it before, after about 8\9k left leg only is going numb and is quiet painful. I'm definitely not tying the laces too tight.

Going down to the ASICS warehouse in the morning as I think new shoes might do the trick, anyone have any recommendations for a daily trainer?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

Well done. You kept the weekday easy runs easy. I think the long run should be a bit slower than your planned marathon pace unless your training plan states otherwise. But good nonetheless that you felt comfortable. Isn't it funny how 9 miles is now considered a shorter run!!

Week 7 already! 

How are we all doing after week 7 – how did your week go, did you get all your runs done and how did they feel? If you didn’t get all your runs in – any reason why not? Injury? Life got in the way? Also little reminder to keep the pace easy on those long runs, especially as they increase in distance. Let us know how you are finding the training so far – you've completed your first calendar month of training so that must look good on your Strava/Garmin! How is the body feeling? There's some nice weekly mileage showing. 

Week 7 looks like this: 

Plan|Monday|Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday 

HHN1|rest|3m easy|6m easy|3m easy|rest|12m lsr|cross 

Boards|rest,cross or 3m rec|4m easy|1m w/u + 5m pace + 1m c/d|4m easy|rest,cross or 3m rec|14m lsr|3m rec 

12M=19.3km    14M= 22.5km 

Bit of a jump on the HHN1 Plan after the step back last week as the midweek run goes up by a mile and the long run goes up to 12miles. Don’t overthink it, your legs will have it in them after a shorter long run the previous weekend. 

For the Boards plan followers 2 mile shorter long run this week which will be welcome after a milestone 16 mile run the previous week. 

Anyone doing the Frank Duffy 10 miler the following weekend? Anyone else glued to the Olymipcs?! Enjoy the bank holiday weekend – next one you’ll be running a marathon!!  😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,188 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I wouldn't be too worried about feeling like you can't do a given pace on a once off midweek run, we all have days like that!

A few weeks ago I had the exact same thought after a 6 mile at pace session. It was pretty warm and I was fairly spent after it. But it was just not my morning. The following at pace session was fine.

If the "at pace" sessions continues to be a struggle, maybe consider re-evaluating.

And definitely don't worry about muddling through easy runs, easy runs are meant to be easy effort, so you have to adjust to what's needed on the day. Just this week I had two easy sessions and my Wednesday one was nearly 30 seconds a km slower than my Monday one.

Isn't it fairly crazy that 9 miles is considered a short run? Soon enough you'll be looking at weekends with half Marathons as your step back weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭SimpleDimple

Thanks to both of you. Yes it’s crazy now that 9 miles is no cause for concern! On the pace thing, I think after I struggled so much on Wednesday to do 6, once I saw how comfortable I was during the run on Saturday I say feic it, let’s see how 9 miles feels at it when I’m in better form. Agreed though that once the miles get bigger I won’t be looking at anything close to that pace

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,188 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

It's probably even a good thing to have a few sessions like that so you can see how it feels.

Maybe people will disagree, but while you definitely get a boost from race day and the crowds, it's not a magic wand if your having one of those days!

Unless you have a specific time you want to hit, having experience of what feels too hard of effort is useful, as you can drop the pace back a bit til you feel more comfortable.

Last year I went out for the first half at the pace I planned to, something on paper I should have easily been able to do (10 mins slower than my half pb from a few weeks before), but even after 5k I knew I wasn't feeling right. I didn't have the experience maybe even the conviction to decide I should slow up. I was done by half way and it made for a very miserable second half.

It seems like you are getting on well so far. I think in a strange way it gets a little easier further into the training, your body is more used to the frequency and in most plans only the LSR increases significantly, most of the other runs might go up by a km or 2, so you get good confidence from feeling decent after a batch of mid week runs you were finding hard before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭comanche_cor

Week gone past:

• Got 2x Strength sessions done
    • Missed mobility
    • Got all runs done as planned.

I started the week tired, took Monday as a rest day and am glad I did. All the intervals / tempos runs went fine, hit all the paces. I enjoyed the miles up and over. Tempo run was all good also. Felt strong on Sat for my easy run and decided to add on a few more easy kms - ran to heart rate rather than pace.

Sunday's long run was a progressive run starting above marathon pace and finishing close to tempo. I found this to be a bit of a mind game for me and started to doubt I could do it after the first 10k - had to focus on running the 'interval' I was in. I found the last 1k hard and cursed the wind (which was probably no more than a light breeze). However, I did manage to hit all the paces and cover the distance. Felt some runner's knee the next day after my long run, so I need to keep an eye on my running form and keep up the S&C. I also decided not to take any gels during this run, I had planned to test it out but decided to give it another week - I felt that I should be able to run 2hrs without gels / water. This was probably a mistake and perhaps I would not have felt the end to be a struggle if I had taken a gel and also would have kept better running form.

I had a busy weekend after that - rest and recovery were not ideal so again feeling tired at the start of this week.

This week:

Plan | Monday | Tuesday | Wednesday | Thursday | Friday | Saturday | Sunday 
    Runna | Rest | Tempos 2k (Total 6.5k) | S&C | Descending Intervals 7.5k | S&C + Mobility | 7K Easy | LR 22k (10k @ MP)

• Registered Users Posts: 33 mossiepark

The past week was good on the training front and I stuck to the following plan;

Runna | Monday 7.5km Easy Run + Mobility Session | Tuesday S&C @ Gym| Wed 10km On Off Kms | Thursday 7.5km Easy | Friday 7km Interval | Saturday Rest | Sunday 17km (Averaged 5.20km pace)

I'm really struggling with the long run. It's not so much the distance or pace but the recovery afterwards. I actually felt like I had to slow myself down Sunday and that I had much more in the tank to push on. I'm conscious of sticking to the plan so I didn't push on but I woke up Monday morning again with awful knee pain (IT Band). My physio is saying it's nothing serious and to continue with more S&C and mobility exercises. I also had a sports massage today and will continue to get more as they are a game changer. I felt great after it. I'm going ease into it this week but a little deflated that when I push up the miles I get these injuries. Fingers crossed they pass.

I really want to get a solid week down as I'm looking forward to the Frank Duffy 10m next week!!

This weeks plan;

Runna |S&C & Mobility Session Missed due to injury | Tuesday 10km Easy - Missed - Sports massage| Wed 10km Tempo | Thursday 5km Easy | Friday 9km Interval | Saturday Rest | Sunday 19km

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 252 ✭✭TheRef

One of the objectives of the novices thread is to share experiencesand learn from each other, and its great you are calling out your ITband issues. I hope you don’t mind me using you as an example, as this post equally applies to all novices, not just those followingthe Runna plans.

I read up a littleon Runna last week and many of the comments on the likes of Reddit suggested the 2 speed sessions a week was causing a lot of folks to pick up injuries. If you look at both the Hal Higdon and Boards novice plans in the first post, you’ll see there is minimal speedwork, limited in the Boards plan to strides and marathon pace. This is because marathon training is about focusing on developing your body to be able to run a very long distance over many hours. Its not just about developing the large muscle groups but aslo strengthening joints,ligaments, tendons, and all minor supporting muscles, and really really importantly, make your body better at using fat as an energy source. All that needs to be trained and developed, and most of that happens with easy running.

Why do I mention this?

Well, first, I don’t know what paces Runna is suggesting to you, but looking at your runs on Strava, I would have guessed you are aiming for a sub 3:25 marathon finish time. Your original post stated a sub 4 hour is the dream.That is a world of difference. Sub 4 is absolutely doable for you with your Clontarf result, but honestly, most your runs are just way too fast and you are at very high risk of getting injured and not making the start line.

Take last weeks longrun which you ran at a pace of 5:20/km. The bedrock of the weekly long run is to run slow – generally about 40 seconds/km slower than planned marathon pace. This run is specically meant to be run easy so your body can develop and adapt to running long. When you run too fast, those adaptations won’t occur as your body won’t be able to recover and develop before your next session and it will only be a matter of time before something goes pop.

I personally strongly advise that you significantly scale back on your paces and look to drop one of the weekly speed sessions. You missed Mondays session due to injury and yesterdays due to a sports massage, so of the 4 sessions you have planned for the week – only one is listed as easy, but looking at your last Thursdays “easy” run, you ran 12 seconds/km faster than the pace you would need to run the marathon to achive sub-4hr. That’s not easy – its fast. In fact, I’d recommend not running faster than planned marathon pace at all for the next couple of weeks and see if that helps with your recovery.

I’ll also just mention a couple of things from a personal perspective – when I was a novice in 2022 – my long runs were originally run at 6:20/km and as I got more comfortable with the distance later in the plan, that pace increased to about 6:05/km. I often felt when running at 6:20/km pace that it was too slow and it was just way too easy. I stuck with it though as the mentors were adament it was the right pace for a 4 hour marathon attempt, and they were absolutely right. I got way stronger as well as faster. Also, this year I am targetting 3:45 and my long runs now are generally 5:50/km.

You are doing fantastic though and showing the consistency and effort. Focus on getting over the injury and I've no doubt you'll be on for your sub 4hr.

This is very interesting. I am also on the Runna plan and have also been wondering about the run mix for the plan. I was reading about it (reference below) and it seems there is a setting to move from 'optimal' to 'balanced' in the training plan.

I tried out switching it and it did not appear to change much for me, reducing the distances of some runs. Experience for others may be different. Personally, I went with the Runna plan as I wanted a long plan to help avoid injury. However, the paces for the long runs do have me a little worried.

Runna is suggesting a 5:25 (per km) marathon pace for me, which I think is beyond me. I will be looking for sub 4 and I expect on the day I will run with the 4hr pacers. I am happy enough to train for the 5:25 pace to have some buffer on the day, but perhaps this is not a great plan.

references:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/running/comments/1cg6pe0/any_runners_here_have_experience_with_the_runna/
    https://support.runna.com/en/articles/8481110-how-to-choose-your-training-mode

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 252 ✭✭TheRef

A couple of things in your post:

On Runna: To be honest, the first time I heard of Runna was in this thread but they do seem to get good reviews (maybe not a huge amount as it seems to be realtively new). The main gripe folks have (leaving aside the cost) seems to be the amount of fast paced running, and it seems the concern is really around the marathon plan rather than the shorter distances. I can't seem to find any example plans that lays out paces for the various runs across all weeks, so its really hard to offer any informed opinions on the actual plan.

So, I would just caution folks using the plan to be super careful with doing two speedwork sessions a week and attempting to do the long run at planned marathon pace or quicker. Not saying it won't work for you, just that its a lot of stress and for first time marathoners.

I see someone mentioned Runna has an RPE setting so check that out if it exists and see if it gives you a bit more confidence in the paces.

Another important item in your post: Training for a particular time but planning on running at a slower pace. I get where you are coming from, but you are much better off training for your goal pace (which itself is based off your current ability). You will enjoy the training so much more, you will be less likely to get injured, and your body will be overall stronger and be more ready for the distance come October. If you are not confident in 5:25 pace, and you are looking for sub 4 (5:41 pace), then ask yourself what you gain from training faster? Remember that if you exceed your current abilities, your body won't be able to recover sufficiently for your next round of sessions. You may feel like you can hit the paces and achieve the distances in training, but you will only know when you get to the 20 mile mark whether you have developed the strength to finish strong rather than walk/hobble the last 10k.

And just one final point I'll make - if you read the novice thread from every year, I don't think you will find anyone recommending novices to run faster, but you will find almost endless posts from the mentors advising novices to slow down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

I'm away and not on a PC so my post is a little short however I fully agree with The Ref . Running slowly is the key for any novice to get through their first marathon, you will feel like you are plodding along for the vast majority of your runs and that is how it should be. The key adaption you are looking for is your body to be able to handle the weekly distance, not a specific pace. If you look on my own strava you will see that I'm currently running a lot with my wife at 6.30 pace, my easy pace would usually be 5.20ish and I'd expect to be under a 3.20 marathon again this year. I'd take it even further than the ref and be at least 60 sec per km slower on my easy or long runs. Going slow will make you get to the start line, going fast will get you injured.

great posts from The Ref and MisterJinx. And I’m sure many more Boards runners could say the same thing. This isn’t aimed at anyone in particular but to all Novices.

You are training for a marathon, not a 5k. Your focus from now til M-day is time on the legs, increasing the mileage, conditioning and minding the body, fueling, hydrating. Your goal is to get to the start line and finish line. The boards plan has strides the odd week, other than that the fastest is marathon pace. There’s no speed work in the HHN1 plan. If your plan has speed sessions and it’s leaving you feeling tired or struggling with the long run, pull back your pace, skip the speed and just run easy.

I’m aiming for 4:30 marathon - my long run is around 6:30min/km pace, sometimes 6:45.

Go forth and run EASY

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭Trampas

Great comments here. I ran my first marathon back in 2012 and still doing them today. Easy should be easy. I do a lot of my runs based on hr but to give you some ideas on paces around easy runs compared to marathon pace. My current marathon pace target is 4:15 min kms. My easy pace is roughly 5:15 min kms. The slow runs are the achilles heel of runners. They just don’t run slow enough. End up getting injured and blame a speed session. Usually my first km or 2 on every run is around 5:30 min kms. No matter what session I’m doing. You’re on a road to injuries and dns if you don’t slow down. You get away with it on runs that be under 10 miles but as the distances go up it really hits as you’re body is working to hard for most of the week and never gets a chance to recover.

@TheRef Thanks so much for the advice and feedback. Reflecting on my training the past few weeks you are entirely right. I think the Runna plan may be better suited to those looking to increase their performance. The way the plan is structured I always find myself chasing times while running and then allowing myself to get carried away thinking "Oh, well I'm feeling good so push on". This is clearly not the approach to take with marathon training and is evident in the injuries I'm picking up along the way.

I started this journey thinking a sub 4hr would be a great result and after Clontarf, Runna is estimating a finish time between 3.26 and 3.33 (….and I guess the training is reflective of this). I won't lie I was also excited at the prospect of a sub 3.30 marathon but I have to be realistic and the current plan definitely doesn't work for me. I took your advice and slowed down today to an average 5.45/5.50 pace and it felt great to run easy, with a lower heart rate as well. I think from what you and others are saying even this pace is too fast!!

I think my next move is to move to the Boards Plan and do as @Sunny Dayz said in her OP "Trust the Plan". I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on this?

I just checked back on your HM, and this again is not to single you out in any way but Just to give you and everyone else a bit of context and to show how wild some of the online / watch predictions can be. Your prediction was 3.2x to 3.3x off a 1.47ish HM, I did a 3.26 first Marathon off a 1.30 HM. Those predictions can be and ARE miles off for a novice. Add 20 to 30 mins easily for your first Marathon. There is so much to the marathon that those predictions don't take into account when it's the first time you do 26 miles. The first one is to get it done and not suffer, the second one can be for time once you know what is involved.

P.s. great choice in going with the boards plan. It's been around for 14 years and has gotten countless runners across the line. It's tried and tested

• Advertisement

Thanks for the response.

Can you explain what you mean by;

Your prediction was 3.2x to 3.3x off a 1.47ish HM?

Oh,so I looked at your post on the clontarf half and it was 1.47.30 so 1.47 ish ! And then for the predictions I just used x's instead of the exact times used. Only reason is that it was easier than remembering the exact prediction time. Mins and seconds are not that critical to the main point being that the calculators can be wildly optimistic for a novice marathon runner (and also, and especially for your first, it really doesn't matter, it's getting there and getting it done that matters)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,211 ✭✭✭crisco10

I think for a Novice looking to decide their target MP, it also needs to be remembered that, provided you finish, you will set a PB. Then you want to ask yourself the question, how much is a 5 or 10 mins on your finish time worth risking not finishing, or not even starting?

And another data point on the run slow advice;

For my 1st DCM, my target pace was 5min/km, but long run pace was 6 min/km. I also did very little speed work, some strides, and Marathon Pace sections towards the end of the LSR later in the cycle. (Which I think is in the Boards plan)

This cycle (10 years later), target pace is 4:15/km but long run pace is 5 min/km. Doing speedwork, but my base is much higher at this stage.

Thanks all for the advice on Runna plans. There has been some great advice above.

I am on the fence with what to do - to switch plans or stick with Runna.

I started off with a 22 week plan as I wanted to have as long a period as possible build up the plan. I am now half way through the Runna plan. I haven't had any injury and just the odd niggle here and there that have settled down. Any fatigue I have felt has been self induced by poor recovery.

I will have a look at the boards plan in more detail at the weekend. At the moment I think that I will continue with Runna until the next deload week and re-evaulate. I am enjoying the tempo and interval work during the week and enjoy the challenge of these. However, its the paces for the long runs that concern me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 783 ✭✭✭marathon2022

It’s natural to feel anxious and wonder if you’re doing enough during the training for your first marathon.I remeber well the the temptation to run too fast, resist. Consistency and patience are key.

If you really feel the need to modify your training then I would recommend you focus on adding slow, easy miles rather than increasing the intensity. For example, if your plan calls for a 1 mile WU, you could extend it to 2 miles at a very easy pace. Similarly, you could extend your very slow CD from 1 mile to 2 miles. If you want to increase the distance of a long run, like running 17 miles instead of 16, that's fine, so long as you run those extra miles at a slow, comfortable pace.

The goal is to build endurance without overloading your body. Consistency over speed

I can speak from experience when I say the Boards Plan will get you to the line in good shape. In 2019 I also dreamed of a sub 4 hour Marathon, I follwed the boards plan with a few extra slow miles and finished in 3:59:22

Its there to had,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭chabsey

Are you aiming for sub 3? That pace will get you in just under the line which I imagine you're well aware of :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭Trampas

Well aware of it. Valencia for me with Dublin as a long easy run. Plan has me down for 35km easy that day so doing Dublin gives me some company and have someone to hand me a bottle of water every so often instead of looping back around or leaving them somewhere

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

A lot of those marathon predictors calculate your time as twice your half marathon time + 8 minutes. That really only applies to people who are well used to the marathon distance. For people's first marathon I have seen a few different recommendations but it is usually recommended to go off twice your half marathon time + 20 minutes/5k race time. If your half time is 1:47, then 3:30 isn't a realistic goal at all. You also have to remember that Clontarf half is flat as a pancake whereas the Dublin marathon has a few hilly bits thrown at you. Given your half time you are definitely capable of a sub 4:00 but I don't think 3:30 is anywhere near realistic. Maybe aim for 3:55 to give yourself a few minutes buffer so you definitely get under 4:00.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Louis 2018

Hi All

Reading the comments from the past few days and said I would throw my 2 cents in.

Ran DCM in 2023 and used the boards plan, absolutely 100% would recommend this for any novice marathon runners. The support in the forum with everyone running the same plan was huge for me. To be running a different programme and dipping in here for advice etc. will bamboozle you and make you doubt yourself every step of the way.

I'm training for 2024 DCM with a paid plan that was bought for me (a lot of consultation with the coach about my previous times), other than that I would have easily used the boards plan again. When I compare my current plan to boards it verifies even more that for your first marathon you should be focusing mainly on getting miles in the legs, don't worry about speed sessions, hill sessions and all of that stuff just get out and run nice and slow and the training will be a lot more enjoyable. Trust the process, good days outweigh bad training days and the main thing is to get yourself to the start line in October. If you want to get fast, then you must run slow. Link to a really good article below (hope that's ok to share)

The support network in here is second to none, from people who have ran 1 marathon to others running multiple marathons for over 15 years - listen to what they are saying!

https://www.on.com/en-ie/stories/how-running-slower-makes-you-faster-marathon-training-tips

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭slingerz

long run done for the week. It was absolutely painful tho particularly for the final 2 miles had to walk the end just didn’t feel great going out the door.

Have had some nerve pain this week so missed the second 3M on Thursday. Wasnt too bad today thankfully

Advertisement