Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

(Site is a graveyard - How can boards save itself?) Any update?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,051 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Nothing was done because the posts weren't removed.

It seems some have now 4 days later, perhaps under duress, but the main ringleaders posts are still there.

But you are arguing that people should not be reporting others , are you ?

No I'm not

Or are you upset that those you reported have not been removed ?

No.

Im disappointed that blatantly uncivil posts that have been reported are ignored by Moderators.

I liked the lunchmoney one

I received a warning for that after a torrent of abuse, uncivil seemingly, perhaps it is but its on the milder end of the uncivility spectrum.

Is “context” important if I break the rules? If I reply, in kind, to someone attacking me, and my post is reported, I will get a warning. If the, initial, rule breaker is reported, they will get a warning. If not, it’s all on me

They may, its not definitive.

Some posters can post whatever they wish with impunity.

Post edited by MisterAnarchy on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,124 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

This is very difficult isn't it , though when you have reported the post and you don't know if any action is taken and the poster continues on baiting .

This where it would be good to see some sort of mod note in bold or card system again .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

If a post is actionable, it should be actionable, whether it's responded to, or not.

If a reported post must be left unchallenged for fear that it will affect the outcome of a report, then the owner of the actionable post has effectively succeeded in closing down any discussion.

Which is usually what they want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭28064212

How does that display double standards?

• Posters A/B/C/D - posts in a goading manner - not sanctioned
    • Poster X - reacts to goading and snaps - sanctioned

X is sanctioned for snapping, not for goading. Those are two different behaviours. They are being treated differently for different actions.

If you want to demonstrate double standards, you're going to need to show examples of A/B/C/D snapping and not getting sanctioned, or X (or posters from X's grouping) getting sanctioned for just goading.

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

I see what you are saying .

But I repeat I don't think all posts that are uncivil are removed unless they are very offensive. I would think that all very offensive ones or ones that are attacking should be removed or publicly noted by a mod.

I have had similar recently with offensive posts to me, about me not being removed and poster continuing seemingly unabated

It has the effect of removing you from the conversation , which is precisely what the troll wants to do , and the sense of unfairness , although I reported it a few times that it still remained for all to see , as if the mod agreed with the attack , still rankles .

That's not fair or right .

I agree that the rules should be applied across the board and context taken and the goading poster should be actioned in the same way .

Before the above I would have argued that that is what is happening but my faith has been undermined significantly by that particular event .

I liked the mod note that used to say eg " Goldengirl and Mister Anarchy both stop the bickering / fighting or you will receive threadbans , Some posts will be deleted . " in bold , on the thread , and a warning given to both . It is a chilling effect on the whole to and fro , for me anyhow , but at least it was fair .

Don't know why this stopped , is it another Vanilla-ism ?

That latter part of your post was written by another poster btw .

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 14,291 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Im disappointed that blatantly uncivil posts that have been reported are ignored by Moderators.

Do you know how many posts a day are reported from the CA forum alone? The reported posts forum is also not filtered by forum. All reports go into a very long list of reported posts from all over the site. So rather than blatantly uncivil posts being ignored by moderators it is very likely they have been missed by moderators.

If you feel something is blatantly uncivil and has been missed by a moderator you always have the option of sending them a PM to bring it to their attention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,398 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

We're reminded mods are human, well so are all posters.

Some posters can contribute politely but they are continuously quoted, their posts deliberately misinterpreted and, a very common low-level trolling tactic, told their posts are saying something completely different with a sentence or two quoted in isolation to "prove" they said something racist, sexist etc.

A few pages of that and they snap, get reported by all the others engaging in that behaviour and threadbanned. The others carry on the same shtick with others then.

The sanctioned poster is then fobbed off when they point put why they snapped in DPR. All they were trying to do was engage politely and repeatedly clarify their point. That could surely be looked at in DPR and the behaviour stamped out on the relevant thread. I'm not suggesting the behaviour of the poster who was sanctioned should be ignored, just that the instigators should be sanctioned too. That would very swiftly cut out that nonsense because everyone would know they won't get away with it.

But if you do that, are you running the risk of being accused of bothering the moderators, and/or abusing the process?

Basically, it sounds like the report post function is not fit for purpose, and again sounds like another issue with Vanilla as well as a lack of active mods.

I agree that the rules should be applied across the board and context and the goading poster should be actioned in the same way . Like the mod note that used to say eg " Goldengirl and Mister Anarchy both stop the bickering / fighting or you will receive threadbans " in bold , on the thread , and a warning given to both

I did exactly this last night - except I did not apply any warning. Two posters were bickering, completely off topic and tedious for anyone having to wade through the rubbish to try continue discussing the topic. I asked both to take their dispute elsewhere. I then received a very irate, and fairly uncivil PM from one of the two telling me I was totally wrong to include him (?) in warning.

Some people think the rules should only apply to others.

From my reading back of a page and a half of posts there was equal over and back by both of them. So both were asked to stop - not warned, not thread banned, just asked to give it a rest. I'm not interested in who "started it". This is not a playground.

If you deliberately antagonise a poster to get a reaction, then report the post where they react you are the instigator. It's a deliberate tactic and asshole behaviour.

• Advertisement

I was one of them. 😬😳😂

That's an example of good modding, a direct, but polite 'cop on'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,341 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Can it be saved? Is there any desire to do so from the people in charge? Feels like the right-wing loopers have taken over and any kind of discussions are just being astro-turfed by re-reg, sock-puppet and new drive-by accounts. It's an unpleasant place these days.

I would reply civilly if I can but quoting the poster not the reported post

Not sure if this is the right thing to do but it certainly is very hard to wait sometimes over a day or so for an attacking or offensive post to be removed or the poster actioned and I agree , you should have right to reply and not be forced from the conversation .

Sometimes it is best to leave it though and move on to something else ignoring the attacker but reporting it .

The problem is if you get too caught up in that argument you end up pvssing others off who just want to talk on the topic and you yourself will end up with a warning or worse then .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭28064212

I don't disagree. But you're using it as an example of double standards, claiming that mods are favouring the posters on one side of an argument over the other. It doesn't demonstrate that

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

@MisterAnarchy I have deleted your post. I will not discuss actions against any other posters. I gave an example of an action taken last night without identifying anyone specific. As I said, I don't care who started it. Both posters were engaged in off-topic arguing. Both posters were asked (not warned) to stop.

I didn't say it was favouring one side of a discussion, but it is sanctioning a poster who reacts after repeated goading while the instigators are free to continue.

Both side break the 'Don't be a dick' rule, only one is sanctioned. That's the double standard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,448 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I think its obvious how it appears bias and drives people off the thread and forums.

Even if it's not intentionally bias its encouraging a certain style of posting and behaviour by the lack of sanction.

Ok ..so all of this then was over one incident on one thread not multiple as was claimed , being dragged here like some sort of backdoor DRP?

And when you had responded by moderating in the fairest way ?

Sorry to have replied now at all to that . BBoC . I was unaware.

Just for the record why is that mod action not used so much any more on other fora ?

Is it time related or to do with Vanilla ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,448 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I think it's a cop out suggesting just because you don't get feedback about reporting doesn't mean nothing was done.

If problematic posters continue to post unsanctioned that's telling you all you need to know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Are you saying that not all reports get looked at and actioned?

That reports are "missed"?

Can you not see the many, many implications of what you just said?

• Advertisement

Cop on 🙄. You know well that is not what I'm saying.

It is possible that occasionally a report will be missed.

Just because something is reported doesn't mean it needs to be actioned.

Not all reports need to be actioned.

They could have a warning applied. But with this new system it's impossible to know .

That too had its bad sides.

Sometimes triggering a pile on on one sided threads if they smell blood in the water , so to speak !

I don't know but in the end I think this Site will go the way of other SM sites unless moderation is given a higher priority than a few volunteers having a look in now and again.

I have heard elsewhere that far right activists have noted which sites they can target to push their agenda (I am sure that applies to the other extreme too but have not heard anything about that, in fairness ) and am sure Boards has been higher on that list in recent times given the proliferation of extremely right wing threads and new posters with fully formed views on the subject of immigration, asylum , Ukraine and anything else extremely polarising and ripe for manipulation .

I don't frequent the very left wing threads so can:t comment about them .

Isn't telling someone to "cop on" considered uncivil posting?

Not trying to target you in particular BBOC, but I received a threadban once for saying something as mild as that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,648 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I think such timely mod interventions \ commentary on thread is something that was looked for in many earlier posts on the thread. It helps to establish visible standards.

In some cases, one point concerns me, if it implies the poster should continue badgering \ being petty towards the other poster on DM. I have seen such comments on After Hours.

If it's a particular point of discussion, the posters are being civil but it is an endless back and forth, that is different. But not where it is petty bickering.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,184 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

on its own I’d say that’s plenty weird to be warned on usually it’s just said as a punctuation to a larger exchange of ideas, but depending on whatever context who knows, eg. Is it punctuating an argument or is it backseat modding. I don’t believe the former is uncivil and the latter might be an issue. An admin telling others to cop on seems like a different scenario.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,648 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

In similar space I find "Give your head a wobble" or "jog on" to be uncivil.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

I don't see why there should be difference in standards applied…

But on the larger issue, this is again a example of where context strongly applies.

As we repeatedly say we don't comment on individual mod actions but I would find it very unusual for you to be thread banned for "something as mild as that". It is likely the threadban was for an accumulation of posts that disrupted the thread, and that final one was what brought about the threadban.

I don't know the specifics. Context is everything though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I don't need to "cop on", your literal words were "it is very likely they have been missed by moderators".

You said that blatant abuse wasn't actioned likely because it was just missed.

Own your words.

An hour ago I would have assumed reports could never be "missed", they could only be either actioned or unactioned, like tickets to a support desk.

Now I find out that being "missed" is something very plausible. How does that even work then, do we assume that if there are a lot of reports that mods just skip to the most recent ones? Are there thousands of unactioned reports from days where the mods weren't online and didn't go back to check them all?

Cop on indeed, you are one who casually suggested that people should PM mods to look at reports, as if that isn't a failure of the entire bloody point of reports.

• Advertisement

I thought mods didn't look at an accumulation of posts or context? The thread is in DRP if you want to read it.

It was the one and only time I ever disputed anything and what convinced me what a facial process it is.

I've only ever had two thread bans and the other I took on the chin as on reflection it was justified.

Post edited by Ezeoul on

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement