Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf Ireland - the benefits

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭newport2

I've spoken to many people over from the States over the last 20 years, friends, colleagues and people I've ended up playing with. I used to try and tell them you could play really good courses over here for €50 or so (at least years ago you could), but I gave up. In general they consistently disregarded anything below, say €100 (probably more now). A lot of them booked the courses themselves and did to a large extent use the price of green fees as a guideline.

Last time I played Carne (about 8 years ago I think) it was €55 for gui members and €110 for non-gui members. This was the first time I'd seen reduced rates for GUI members for casual golf, so I asked why this was. The pro said something along the lines of "Otherwise we'd get no Yanks here". Rosapenna was €210 for the 3 courses when I played the earlier in the year, €495 for non-gui.

So while I take your point that some may use it as an excuse to justify increasing fees (I don't know), I certainly do know from experience that a lot of people will assume a course is better if the green fees are higher, ignoring others below a certain price. I've done it myself in the past.

Maybe like you say, that the people on commission, ie selling the green fees, influence this by pushing people towards the more expensive courses and not pushing the cheaper ones. But whatever the reason, it seems to work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,812 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

He’s correct - they don’t see price. They see Category 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭benny79

AIG I think it’s been for the last few years

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,199 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

https://www.aig.ie/about-us/our-sponsorships/golf

I've found them to be ok compared to others, but not the cheapest for me this year.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,199 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

The difference between a club surviving and going under can be extremely small these days. You take 50 members out of a lot of clubs and have them sign up to the IG scheme, and you will definitely see clubs go under.

Golf Ireland could have discussed this with the clubs months ago, actually asked them what they thought, and try to work with the clubs to bring in a scheme that would benefit golf, and "grow the game" as they love to talk about without actually forcing clubs under. What they did was tell them it was happening, and tough **** if you don't like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

I seen the recent update to the app was to just put an ad before you can access the information 🙄

Surely they can give you some information like HDID used to, best hole,worst hole, best score etc etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭ShivasIrons

The only factor in the quieter courses getting busier is the increased number of visitors into Ireland, for example from 2014 to 2019 there was a 61% increase in visitors from the US to Ireland. The marquee courses are at capacity, golfers are looking to play, so they play other courses near the tourist route they are on. Increasing prices has nothing to do with it. If the Old Head dropped their price to €100, would it mean less golfers want to play there? If an old established parkland course in the midlands increased their price from €50 to €500, would they get more business? No, they'd lose all the business they had.

As for Golf Ireland, golf clubs in general are run very poorly in Ireland, Golf Ireland delegates come from the clubs, so if clubs are run poorly so is Golf Ireland. Clubs are poor at customer service, member engagement, financial management, lack oversight and accountability, have little vision or forward thinking. Does Golf Ireland, have much vision? Are they working steadily towards the vision? It looks like when the GUI and ILGU amalgamated they took the worst of both and put them together.

Does Golf Ireland increase the participation of the game and funnel members towards clubs?

Bar inter club competitions, do clubs have much interaction with Golf Ireland? Not really. If a club member doesn't play in an inter club competition do they have any interaction with Golf Ireland? None at all

What's the purpose of the high performance squads and elite development? If a golfer isn't making the grade they are forgotten about quickly.

Golf Ireland, needs the clubs and club members, more than they need them.

Could Golf Ireland be great? Of course they could, golf centres to bring people into the game and funnel them to clubs, inter club events where you don't have to a bandit to win, high performance squads where the person is cared about not what they win, seminars, events and exhibitions for Golf Ireland members, Golf Ireland owning golf courses where your membership gives you playing rights etc etc.

We'll be waiting a while before seeing any of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭coillcam

100% on the first sentence. Costs are astronomically higher today compared to three years ago. Most clubs would be pulling in largely the same income and previously breaking even… plus/minus a bit. Memberships and green fees should be increasing to match this too whether we like it or not

I agree that 50 members would sink plenty of clubs. However, you're not going to lose 50 members out of a club unless it has lives on distance membership or there is some sort of shenanigans going on.

GI fumbled the ball here massively on communication no doubt. They already have schemes for growing the game, which many clubs do already participate in. It wouldn't have been too hard to put working groups together amongst clubs/regions that is separate to their own committee rather than just put the hands up and shrug shoulders.

If what GI said is taken as genuine about the R&A enforcing the independent golf program, this should have been the first message to clubs on day dot. A private entity running it could have been a disaster no doubt. GI need to take feedback on the chin. Their main work aside from communications should be to limit damage to distance clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 ExPaddy

Currently there is a lot of price GOUGING of international visitors… It leads to fewer international visitors over time (they're not all old & rich)… and in the next recession they'll be wondering where they are… why the hotels and guesthouses are empty.. Well - maybe because they're in sunny Spain for food & accom at 1/2 the price, and good golf at 1/3 the price. Charging 3 times the GUI rate is obscene. In other countries there is a surcharge - maybe 30%! In rip-off Ireland it's 200%!!!

• Advertisement

the true golfers - ones who play a lot and visit Ireland, Scotland, etc.. by themselves see it. Know some who play a lot in Ireland who join an Irish club as members to just to get GUI… BUT now several price gouging clubs want GUI and Driver License or charge 3 times the GUI rate. That's sickening - I go elsewhere. To play Ireland I may join as overseas and to hell with any course that wants proof of residence - I PAID MY MEMBERSHIP! Stop gouging!!!

I'd echo almost all of this. Ireland becoming an absolute shíthole for Golf

Played Ceann Sibéal Dingle a few weeks ago. It cost €70 per person for a group of about 16. Green Fee for non GUI would've been €170. I'd say if our group wasn't as many as 16 we'd have been asked for €100 per person.

Genuinely it was as bog standard a course as it gets. I'd say a €30/€40 round. Played well though funnily enough. Was kinda disgusted that people pay €170 for it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Its heathland/links at best, they throw links into the title but not all 18 are links IMHO, kinda like Seapoint

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Shank Williams

absolute greed on display in Kerry- likes of dooks and ceann sibeal taking the piss- had to hop on the rip off bandwagon

Thank god for another more northerly county that I won’t name

I think the days of a bargain standard green fee are gone. Most clubs tend to be members owned but take whatever extra income they can get provided member tee times aren't impacted. Outside of opens and the odd golfnow deal, €50/60 seems to be the standard green fee on any decently maintained course. Paying upwards of €100 is not unheard of and that's before you consider GI rates.

@ExPaddy when I played abroad (Spain) last year I couldn't get a green fee under €100 (buggy extra). Nice courses no doubt but not better than what I could get for the same price at home. Plus it was guaranteed to be 5hrs+ in a buggy due to tourists and shambolic rangering. Food/drink/hotel are clearly miles dearer in Ireland that's obvious. Any premium course over there was aligned with the comparable Irish prices…

Ireland plus our neighbours across the water are blessed in terms of golf. We have courses everywhere and can pay an affordable green fee for decent tracks(€50/£50) in so many places. The elite/premium courses will always be in a different bracket and have freedom do do as they please for their green fees.

An element of gouging is present but that's no different than going to temple bar and paying €10 a pint, it's your choice. You can't throw the toys out of the pram just because you can't play the top 20 courses in the country for peanuts. It's the same everywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭blackbox

In my opinion, Golf Ireland has become completely bloated with a huge sense of self importance.

The seem to be always recruiting more staff - I suppose more staff justifies higher wages for the management. They take in huge amounts of money from club members each year.

There sole purpose should be to oversee the handicap system and inter club competitions, much of which work is actually done by volunteers.

They make a big deal of giving money to promote women in golf but this is actually largely government grants that they are distributing. The same for environmental improvements, accessibility, etc.

The idea of trying to recruit new golfers is a good one, but the Independent Golfer scheme has been a farce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,602 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Guess there's worse gouging going on elsewhere to be fair. Guess you shouldn't expect any different from a Trump owned course

• Administrators Posts: 53,955 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Ireland plus our neighbours across the water are blessed in terms of golf.

I have no data to back this up, but arguably Ireland is the best place in the world to play golf.

Relative to the standard of courses we have available our green fees and our membership rates are very reasonable. It is a very accessible sport here, significantly more so than the likes of the US.

Any sporting body or non-profit will a certain point in their journey will align itself with standard industry practice. Be it other orgs abroad or looking at GAA/IRFU/FAI whatever. They are academic courses in sports development, management and so on. They're just following the playbook but that's not a get out of jail card either.

Like anything in life, it takes people, time and money (crucially) to change things. If you think volunteers are going to come in and do full-time jobs in a large sporting body you'll be happy to have the government pay off their mortgages too. I'd suggest reading their annual report and looking at the financials, then comparing it with another sports body. 100% they rely on volunteers all over the country in clubs as does the GAA/IRFU/FAI and without them, we'd have no sports clubs. The government gives them something like €1.5m a year to distribute. If you've no sporting body in place with appropriate structure/governance you'll get a pittance. Someone has to lobby for and administrate the grants. That's the way the system works. Of your golf cost for the year they get €28 per adult and €7 per junior. Pocket money only and I'm discounting grants/sponsorship tie-ins. Independent golfer is not yet launched, they fumbled the comms and are regrouping. Remains to be seen how it plays out tbf.

That used to be true. I play in both places. Plenty of very good cheap golf in US. Same in Portugal - Spain. I'm there in the off season. They do rollups where can play a typical 80 euro course for 25-30 Euro (No resident BS required - same for everybody - they live off tourism). They have high priced courses like Monte-Rei that are Empty!

What Ireland never gets is - the Golf Club may benefit by having one foreigner out there on a cool October day, paying 250-300 Euro for a nice links course; but he only buys one flight on aer lingus, needs one hotel room, one rental car and one dinner in the clubhouse or wherever. If they had 4 paying 125 Euro - well that might help the economy; and they MIGHT return

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,955 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Or they could get 4 playing 250-300 euro.

Are any of our clubs that charge high rates to Americans struggling to fill time sheets? I haven't heard of any of these clubs going under or having to drop prices.

I get it's frustrating for you as I suspect you're Irish and you understand that people who live here pay a lot less, but it's also true to say that it's abundantly clear that the American visitors don't care that we pay a lot less as they are quite happy paying the rates they are being charged.

The Spanish golf tourism market and the Irish golf tourism market are chalk and cheese, they cannot be compared. The fact the price ranges are different is irrelevant.

Spain attracts golfers from the UK and Ireland over for long weekends on the beer to play golf in the sun. The big clubs in Ireland are marketing themselves at Americans with deep pockets, over for golf holidays, wanting to play well known courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭bustercherry

So now top golf courses should now be losing money or under selling their product to benefit the economy. Markup on food is virtually non-existent and you wouldn't make back of drink either in the clubhouse. So you are effectively advocating a course discount a line by 50% to try increase the profits of Aerlingus or Hotel groups? Christ I've heard it all now.

Maybe we've it wrong, we should be asking the airlines and hotels for 50% discounts because we can't afford the green fees on the courses we want to play, and not the other way round. 🤣

The people who pay the rates i.e. yanks, couldn't care less if it's discounted when factoring in their decision to return. Plus 50% discount of 300 euro green fee is still out of the price bracket the average Irish golfer wants to pay (going by on here), so in reality these "top top top courses" would be gaining fcuk all by offering this type of discounts regularly.

When the rip off reaches a certain point, you get few coming back. All they want to say is "I played Ballybunion..". So you'll see a decline eventually; and reputations are hard to build and easy to destroy… You think they'll care about the 'average Irish golfer' once they've maximized their international profits? LOL - play those courses now cause you're next…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭bobster453

Ah yes the Ryanair philosophy..bums on seats(now theres a play on words..double entendre big time)..or whatever the golfing equivalent would be.Putters on greens maybe?

Whatever..the fact remains better to have half a loaf than no bread at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭moycullen14

Those are impressive figures! It's night and day compared to your average club in this country. You'd wonder if the members (the actual owners, after all) ever get p**sed off with the situation? Some of these clubs must be generating more money than they know what to do with. Spending €5M on a new clubouse to benefit americans who'll spend more money that will be used to enhance an already iconic course…. What's the end-game or is there one?

When will we get the first €1000 green fee in this country? Anyway, good luck to them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭bobster453

There is one course I heard of..Hogs Head I think..where there are only 2 Irish members..well known names.The rest are wealthy yanks.

Course has something like 25 full time green staff..closes October to April..yet staff are busy making sure it is perfect when members jet in.

They aint too worried about green fees I reckon.

Lucky b%#&ards😁😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

The €1000 greenfee is here already in Adare. You must stay overnight to get a teetime now so between the room, golf and caddie you are gone over the €1k mark

The top links courses seem to be following a similar trajectory - one that means Irish residents will eventually be priced out…

Portmarnock Old course, Lahinch, Ballybunion… I believe the price is the same for any visitor, IF they can get a slot.

Rosapenna St Pats, Enniscrone, Co Sligo, Tralee, European club.. etc.. on the same path. All look at BBunion and say if they can get that, we can get more..

1. Double the price for intl visitors. The 'Tour Operators' book slots asap before they even have their US bookings.
    2. Club sees demand - keep upping the price for INtl, to 3 x GI price (present situation for many)
    3. Still unlimited demand? Then why let Paddy out for 1/3 the price??
    4. Make 350 Eur for ALL
    5. If privately owned (European), maximize cash flow (same $$ for all) years before selling out for multiple of cash flow. Private Equity buys ⇒ Hog's head model…

• Advertisement

Anyone ever been asked to show a driver license along with GI Card? Or do they only ask if obviously not Irish?

Advertisement