Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

M20 - Cork to Limerick [preferred route chosen; in design - phase 3]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

I note that you have already deleted 90% of your original content from posts #8409 and #8410. Regarding the data supporting the road safety arguments, a summary, which was widely reported at the time, was published by the N/M20 project office in 2021. This was based on data produced by the RSA.

https://corklimerick.ie/wp-content/uploads/2021/05/NM20-Cork-to-Limerick-Collision-Analysis-Media-Release.pdf

Reminder, webinar at 7pm today, link is included in the above post

I sent on the following questions:

Hi

I really appreciate the comprehensive update issued on the 24th  June. It answers a lot of questions and it’s great to see the project progressing.

I have a few questions for the Webinar this evening:

The design includes a Freight Hub in Mallow and “A small amount of vehicle parking will also be provided for active travel and park and share.” Why not provide a full Transport Hub in addition to the Freight Hub in Mallow ?

Where does the project’s responsibility end in relation to the Transport hubs – will these be finished to allow full operational use from day 1 (e.g. surfaced, lined, lighting and charging provided, bicycle racking etc) and will the project include responsibility for ensuring that transport providers (i.e. bus services) will be operating from day 1 ? What security features will be provided at the hubs ?

Will the Mallow Relief Road continue as a separate project or will it be incorporated into the M20 project, given that the two meet at Mallow Junction ?

What provision has been made to upgrade the R522 between Buttevant Junction and Buttevant Main Street, and what type of junction is planned where the R522 meets Buttevant Main Street ?

In the absence of a junction to either the immediate north or west of Charleville, what provisions are being made to ensure the free flow of traffic to/from the R515 and Charleville Junction, and to avoid bottlenecking where the R515 meets Charleville Main Street ?

Accepting that the responsibility for setting toll charges rests elsewhere, what is the project team’s view on the level of charging for each of the segments and for an end to end journey, with reference to the current charges on the following roads:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭cjpm

Did anyone see the webinar on Wed evening?

Or maybe @Hibernicis ’s long list of well thought out questions crashed their server!! 😂

I did join the webinar but have been travelling. Will post a summary later today.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Limerick74

• Advertisement

What are they on about ? Why on earth will the M20 development "drive between 8000 to 10000 HGV’s every year into the village" ?

Useless article, picking up a soundbite from a TD and then dropping the point and regurgitating the contents of a generic M/N20 press release.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭cgcsb

These concerns are easy to fix, just pedestrianise the bit of the main street between the post office and the Marian Park estate, easy pease, can be done for a few hundred euro, just put some flower planters out, put in some outdoor furniture. it might attract some actual business instead of just betting shops and petrol station. Maybe a café could open

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,244 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

But but but….

What about the truck depot? The one in the very middle of Patrickswell? This is why we can't have nice things: a horrendously planned village (was there any planning at all?) simultaneously wants loads of traffic and no traffic.

“Also, having a toll will force some potential road users off the motorway onto regional and local roads which is not desirable and counterproductive,”

I wonder did Collins even read/understand the what is being proposed. The proposal for "A modest toll for each of the junctions and that will help minimise toll avoidance, going through villages and places like Charleville” is exactly the opposite to what he is talking about.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

To be fair, they don't call it silly season for nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Pale Red

Mr Collins making comments to appear relevant and "looking out" for constituents. The previous story about 8,000 hgvs going through Patrickwell was apparently based on a business in Crecora which has around 50 trucks a day calling each work day. The working assumption must've been that a significant percentage would be coming from the same direction, would retrace their journey when leaving, and never figure out that their sat nav is bringing them the long way round. I wonder how that would stand up to CBA (including additional danger of having junctions near each other).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,968 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Absolutely everyone will pay the toll for this one given the alternative of the old road, the Ballybeg Bends, Charleville etc. I'd guess this will be the "least toll dodged" scheme in the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭65535

I disagree - I'll be going 'cross country' via Mitchelstown and over via Hospital - Not in any hurry but it's the better route of the existing 2 routes.

As for tolls - it will be multiple tolls - and all of this between the 2 larges cities outside of Dubland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

It won't be multiple tolls. You will pay once, but how much you pay will be based on how much of the road you've used.

This is how all motorways work in Spain, France and Italy.

And once the motorway is there, I'd expect the bypassed towns to redo their streets to be friendlier to locals and visitors, and hostile to through traffic and ratrunners,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,978 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

There should be no tolls at all. This is basic infrastructure enjoyed toll free in every other western country.

You're more wrong than right there. Details here :

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toll_roads_in_Europe

That's for private cars. Drive a truck and you're paying tolls in far more places. Germany levies tolls on vehicles over 7.5 tonnes, even though cars are free.

Right now, we have only one actual road toll in this country (N7/N8). Every other toll is for the use of a bridge or tunnel, something that's normal everywhere in the western world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 239 ✭✭rdhma

Apart from the M7, the M3 and M4 are tolled where there are no significant bridges.

You are right. I forgot M3, but I thought there was some sort of viduct on the M4 toll.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,164 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

The vast majority of western countries charge tolls for using motorways. Some of the ones that don’t like Germany and Austria have started charging HGVs and cars may be next.

You definitely should have to pay tolls considering motorways can be thought of as a premium product in the transport sphere that you don’t need to use as the old road is a free alternative. The toll is to cover the high long-term maintenance cost of the roads. Maintenance is low right now because our motorways are all very new but this will greatly increase in future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,244 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭serfboard

And I discovered, at the cost of a hefty fine, that Slovenia does too. As do Bulgaria, Czechia, Hungary, Moldova, Romania, Slovakia and Switzerland.

For those not familiar with the term, a Vignette is:

a form of road pricing imposed on vehicles, usually in addition to the compulsory road tax, based on a period of time the vehicle may use the road, instead of road tolls that are based on distance travelled.

Vignettes used to be small stickers attached to the screen, but many countries are replacing them with electronic ones now.

For anyone planning a European trip...

https://www.tolls.eu/european-countries

... a friend was pulled over by Czech police for not having a vignette. When they explained that they hadn't realised it was needed (not true, they were chancing their arm), the cops told them to buy one at the next service area ... then followed them there to made sure they did. But, in fairness, the cops could have issued a fine, so a good result...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,164 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

I got stung for a fine leaving Austria without a vignette. On the spot, I think it was €150.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,918 ✭✭✭SeanW

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-41463547.html

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Limerick74

I note FF in particular are trying suck up to the rural vote by pinning this delay on the Greens, but M20 as designed is as close as you can get to a flagship road project for the Green Party: EV infrastructure, usage-based tolling, tight public transport integration and active travel supports - it includes pretty much all of the things they’ve been asking to have done with the motorway network for years.

I think there’s internal opposition to funding this precisely because it has those Green-friendly features: some may think the extra features are a waste of money, and there are lots of TDs who will see any tolled road as a vote loser, regardless of what voters actually think.

• Advertisement

I guarantee this road won't be tolled in the end. Too divisive. It shouldn't be tolled. We have so much money coming in we have to stuff it in wealth funds.

Tolling is a money grab. Nothing more, nothing less. Look at the East Link in Dublin. A small bridge paid off 50 times over and the toll remains to screw as much money out of people as possible. It doesn't exist for any other reason.

Once the tolls go in they will never be removed in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,148 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Tolls do not exist to "pay off" build costs of roads.

How is it divisive. Why shouldn't users pay to use it given how expensive it is. We have to pay for train tickets, much more in fact.

Yeah they exist to screw money out of people like the Green Party.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,028 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Eamon Ryan has delayed every road project that he could. With the Limer6Cork motorway he first of all was pushing the Easter option to like up with the Cork Dublin motorway. That was never a realistic runner to put a motorway through an area with a very low population density on a longer route compared the present design.

Then every other green add on had to be put on to it which has .ade the road extremely expensive.

The road will and should be tolled. I am not sure a distance used toll is a great idea it easier and cheaper to put a toll probably around Buttervent to catch⁹ through traffic mainly. It's a disgrace that the Dublin Waterford road is not tolled.

Yes tolls are a form of tax, that is not a reason for them not to exist.

As much as I dislike the GP tolls were there ever before them

Slava Ukrainii

It’s well known that tolls are to cover the maintenance of the road, not its build cost.

• Advertisement

Lord Mayor Dan Boyle was on Ivan Yates & Matt Cooper's live podcast at the Opera House last week and he mentioned this would be a phased construction with south of Buttevant - north of Croom coming first.

Is this the first time this has been publicly acknowledged? It was a reasonable assumption before now that this would be a phased build (even back in 2008-10 it was to be two separate contracts splitting at Velvetstown near Buttevant)

Surely we are past the phase of 20kms here and there. Just do the whole thing.

I be surprised it's about 80 KM of motorway. It's not long enough to split. I say it another Green tactic to delay the project

Slava Ukrainii

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

I'd ask the question as to how a local councilor can say with any certainty what TII plan to do with a project that hasn't even gone to ABP?

The local councillor in question is a senior member of the same political party as the current Minister for Transport, and in any case planning has nothing to do with how the contract will be split up for tendering. Splitting an 80km project into two 40km stretches shouldn’t be a surprise, as there’s a history of keeping contracts in the “hundreds of millions” price-range to allow for more competitive tendering: not many companies would be willing to take on the whole €1billion job.

But setting “Buttevant” as the start-point of a partial build would leave one of the most dangerous section of the N20 (Boherash Cross to Buttevant) in place: the only potential tie-in point is about 3 km north of Buttevant where the new build joins the alignment of the old road.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

By the time this road gets through planning it's highly unlikely that the Greens will have any part in governing the country. The current MfT is a matter of months away from no longer being a TD. They will have zero say on how the project actually gets delivered.

But no Minister has much say on how projects are delivered anyway. Ministers do the politics bit: they guide the general policies of the department and make high-level decisions about how budgets are spent. They certainly do not get into the details of how projects are tendered - that’s the job of the permanent staff at the department; people who have the necessary training and the experience in planning and oversight of large infrastructure projects (plus, any minster who interferes in procurement risks being accused of corruption).

Based on previous road projects, I can almost guarantee that this work will be tendered as at least two projects - it may even be three. Ryan’s role is only to decide about which of these can start first, and how soon the others follow afterward.

What I’m saying, basically, is that anyone saying it was Eamon Ryan’s idea that the project is split into two parts is very very likely to be wrong. And while it might be his wish to postpone one of those parts - it also might be that he is forced to postpone part of the project against his will by budgetary constraints: he could be completely gung-ho to get his vision of an active-travel equipped motorway built, but there could simply be no money do it all at once.

The next Minister, assuming they’re not an idiot (sadly, not an impossible outcome), would also be taking advice from the professionals on this; maybe that minister will decide to do all parts together, maybe they’ll decide to do none of it at all, or maybe they’ll scrap the plan and request a redesign. But I bet you it’ll still be multiple projects.

The project received approval from Transport Infrastructure Ireland (TII) to progress to Phase 3 (Design and Environmental Evaluation) of the TII Project Management Guidelines and received an allocation of €900k in the 2024 TII Grant Allocations.
    This allocation is subject to the following condition set by the Minister for Transport under Section 24 of the Roads Act (1993) – “

Funding is allocated to progress the Tobercurry and Charlestown Bypass elements of scheme

.”

This from the N17 project team. I’m not saying Eamon Ryan is interfering in the M20 project proposals but the above is an example of the input he’s had in the last year or two that has been echoed by TII at Oireachtas Committees in the last year. The idea that he’s at arms length from the roads programme is a bit fanciful at this stage

In saying that, the M20 has been meddle free at this stage. It’s one of a few projects that has progressed without any sort of hurdles to jump. I seriously doubt any decision to progress this as a two part project is anything to do with Eamon Ryan either, it’s more likely to do with the scale of the whole project being too much for one contract. It’s a fairly reasonable position to take on TII’s part imo. 80km of motorway with all the bells and whistles in the current construction climate is a huge, huge project

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,059 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

There is also no economy of scale effect over such distances. Quarries supplying one end of the project aren't going to want to haul materials 60+km up the existing N20, that would negate any hunger they might have for supplying the nearer sections. The same labour and plant can't be working on both ends simultaneously either. Splitting it makes sense for everyone.

A lot of stone on roads is quarried from within the structure itself. For instance any stone off and high sectio. will be moved up and down the road, same as any other fill that can be used.

Splitting the contract can see tendering shared out by companies. It happens all the time with small public contracts where three tenders are needed

Slava Ukrainii

That assumes that there are significant quantities of stone excavated, which isn't necessarily the case. Also, extensive testing is required for any stone to be used in the road buildup (pyrite, etc.), can't just throw in any stone that happens to be there. Quarries will have a testing regime and quality control procedures already, establishing that for some random bit of stone excavated isn't worth the hassle unless you have a significant quantity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭cjpm

You are wrong there. It’s no big deal testing what’s dug out and depending on its results it’s classified and used accordingly. There will be a materials lab set up on site.

Local quarries would quickly become exhausted if they were supplying materials to a big road scheme.

If 1 million cubic metres of fill material was required for a scheme it would mean excavating 50 acres of land to a depth of 5m. To put the scale of these jobs in context.

Also at design phase the finished road levels are done with cut/fill balance in mind.

What did I say that was wrong?

Significant quantities of usable stone can't be assumed. Given the route is through prime agricultural land, volumes of stone excavated are likely to be at the lower end of the scale.

As you say, cut/fill is considered at design stage. The initial route study area was huge which allowed scope to select a route with favourable ground conditions and requiring minimal cut/fill. The terrain along the route generally is quite flat.

What stone is there would have to be tested to determine what it can be used for. If the route doesn't have much stone, and the stone that is there is poor, then you won't yield much from within the site.

Several quarries would be supplying to the M20 regardless of it being one or several contracts. Haul distances alone would mean you'd need a huge fleet of trucks as the number of daily runs to far away parts would be low.

To do a kilometer of road 30m wide to a dept of 600mm requires a thousand ton of stone. That is why road design makes allowances for cut/fill at tge planning of tge project. Yes stone will have to be drawn in but in general they will minimise that. Any stone found along the road design will be used in some form or other

Slava Ukrainii

Cut and fill earthworks often don't involve any stone at all, its mostly soil. The recent Ballyvourney to Macroom required going through areas with a lot of rock but that project was an exception. The nature of this island means that soft ground is more likely to be an issue and large volumes of stone has to be imported.

There is a strict specification for stone in road buildup and this comes mostly from established quarries. Any stone excavated from within the site will generally be used for making up levels elsewhere, filling in localised soft spots or embankments.

• Advertisement
Advertisement