Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ATR 72 crash, Cascavel and São Paulo, 9th August 2024

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,577 ✭✭✭bassy

<Snip> completely unacceptable comment.

Post edited by Big Bag of Chips on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Noxegon

[DELETED WITHOUT PREJUDICE]

I'd personally prefer to wait for a report before I decide that it was a mechanical issue. There are many, many possible causes for an aircraft going into a flat spin like this.

Post edited by Tenger on

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

MOD POST

MULTIPLE UNACCEPTABLE AND INAPPROPRIATE POSTS DELETED.

ANY MORE BIZARE RANTS WILL BE SIMILARLY TREATED AND FORUM BAN WILL BE GIFTED.

MOD POST

Post edited by Tenger on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭cantalach

Could a mod change the thread title to ‘Brazil plane crash’ or something more descriptive?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

as I started the thread I’ve added ‘Brazilian’.

Sorry if my original title wasn’t descriptive enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,999 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Interesting tweet about the accident

https://x.com/scottiebateman/status/1822246416594747674

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Phil.x

Don't air lingus use these types of aircraft? I

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭2011abc

Yes ,they are extremely common worldwide

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

Do these Planes have a faulty design as loads of issues have been reported with them when icy weather conditions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

Can you provide details of the "loads of issues"? There have been a handful of ice-related accidents with the ATR series in the forty years since the basic type first flew, and almost 1,800 have been delivered to date.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,616 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

would this aircraft have been fitted with anti / de-ice boots ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 201 ✭✭breadmond

Yes ATRs have deicing boots, the whole fleet was retrofitted with more effective boots after an icing related crash in the US. That said the ATR isn't certified for severe icing conditions and the boots can be overwhelmed by large ice accretions. The sigmet from the time of the incident definitely suggests ice as a root cause but we won't know for sure until the investigation is done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tow

The wing design of this type of aircraft is highly efficient, the downside is that it quickly loses aerodynamic efficiency if ice builds builds up. This is nothing new.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Deatr

To my knowledge and having flown 3 types including the ATR, no aircraft is certified to operate in severe icing conditions. Happy to be corrected though!

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Slightly Kwackers

I read of the icing issue, I used to fly on the Cork Birmingham route a lot.

I think one came down in Canada, I was not aware of icing issues in these parts.

The only other thing I recall was an Aer Lingus ATR that had a hydraulic cylinder fitted the wrong way in Ireland. I think it was part of an assembly to restrict the control surface travel when at speed and the manufacturers method of identifying the means of installation was found to be lacking. This was found without any incident arising and the plane returned to land.

By all accounts a safe plane. A tad noisy, but I always looked forward to my trips.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

Are a handful of crashes not enough? There have been plenty of reports of ice related issues over the years but pilots recovered the plane.

Yes, there have been ice-related accidents and you are right that the ATR does not do well in ice if the stuation is not recognised and responded to quickly. We don't yet know what chain of events led to this accident and, even if it was ice-related, you can be sure that there were other factors involved as well. If you look at online lists of ice-related air crashes, a few involve the ATR series but you will find other types, both prop and jet, also. By my reckoning, there are 800 or more ATR-72s and a couple of hundred ATR-42s in service worldwide, in all sorts of climates, and the type remains in production, so I think it is a bit of a leap to suggest that it is a faulty design. Anyway, let's hope that the investigation gets to the heart of what happened and makes any safety recommendations deemed necessary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,761 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

How is it acceptable to have a plane that suffers from ice related issues when it flies at a height, which another poster said, will be in temps of -13c?

The issue is whether conditions are conducive to the formation of ice, not a specific temperature. Otherwise, you wouldn't be seeing these aircraft in service in Canada, Alaska, Scandinavia or Russia to name but a few regions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

I'll preface my comment by saying we don't know if ice was a factor in this crash, time will tell.

That said, I think it would be beneficial to the more casual visitors on this thread to explain the difference between anti-icing and de-icing.

Most, if not all modern jet passenger aircraft use an anti-icing system to keep the wing leading edges and the engine nacelles free of ice build up. It's critical that these particular surfaces are kept free of ice build up because ice disturbs the aerodynamic flow significantly. Disturbed airflow into an engine can cause the compressor to stall. Disturbed airflow over the wing can cause the wing to stall. Anti-ice systems typically take hot air from the engine compressor and send it where it's needed through a system of ducts. This prevents ice from forming.

The ATR uses a mechanical de-icing system. Rubber boots along the wing leading edge are inflated at set intervals to mechanically break away ice that has begun to form. So the system is designed to allow a small amount of ice to build before removing it (hence de-icing) and this cycle continues whilst icing conditions prevail. In severe icing conditions it's possible that ice forms so quickly that the boots are unable to break it off and are simply inflating and deflating under a layer of ice. It's important to note that anti-icing systems as described above are also not immune to severe icing and pilots of all aircraft types will be trained to avoid known areas of severe icing and, if they encounter such an area unwittingly, to get out of it immediately by turning around or descending to warmer air. It is also worth mentioning that both anti-icing systems and de-icing systems are not on at all times, they need to be switched on by the pilots. On the airbus, engine anti-ice is switched on when there is visible moisture outside and the temperature is between +10 and -40. Wing anti-ice is switched on when icing is visible on a probe outside the windshield (or any other surface including the wing which may be visible from the cockpit side window).

I don't know why the ATR was designed with a de-icing system rather than an anti-icing system. I would be inclined to say that anti-icing is the superior solution to the problem. However, no matter what system is installed on the aircraft, if the pilots don't recognise the severe icing threat quickly enough or take appropriate actions to get out of the situation, the end result will be the same.

Again, we don't know if icing is a factor in this particular accident. RIP to all the lost souls.

• Advertisement

As a rule, modern turboprops use the rubber deicing boot method - the DHC-6/7/8, SAAB 340 and 2000, and the Beech 1900 series all use this type of system, so the ATR is not at all out of line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Seems like the same frame had a tail strike a few months previously:

https://avherald.com/h?article=51c4be1b&opt=0

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

Interesting and informative discussin here:

Advertisement