Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Restaurant Recommendation Thread - Anyone for seconds?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Duvet Day

I think it has actually improved recently, I always get the sea bass and it just seems much better recently, nicely crisp and I much prefer the slate compared to the bowl ; very reasonably priced all round.

My West Cork recommendation is The Church in Skib, we love it and find it reasonably priced.

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Debub

is The Black Market always so quiet…. went there last Sunday and it was literally deserted - lot less options than Marina Market obviously but decent enough offerings

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

This looks excellent @sporina, thank you for posting; Goldie is on my list to try for that special occasion, as long as I can convince some of my family/friends to join me!

On a very different style of eating, these lamb chops (starter, with added rice and salad) in Ignite Charcoal Grill were really delicious. Apologies for mangling some of them in the second photo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,957 ✭✭✭sporina

O’Callaghans Mitchelstown today for lunch - food and staff wer fab - we ordered desert - I discretely asked one of the waitresses to put a candle on the brownie if she had one - mate's BD next week - 2 staff came out with desert and sang BD to my mate - she was totally surprised and loved it! fair play to them.. we stopped talking then to devour the desert - the brownie was warm - omg it was divine - drool..

But all in all - a fab friendly restaurant - food is top drawer!!! the deserts - OMG - wow. I highly recommend it.

Post edited by sporina on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Quiet enough but everyone was pretty busy with something last Sunday to be fair. It has pie guys though so I find that a big draw to go there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,028 ✭✭✭opus

I was at the Quay Coop for lunch earlier, glad to see it back to the older canteen style set up rather than the table service they experimented with for a while after the CV-19 shutdown.

I haven't had lunch in the Quay Co-op in ages.

Was the food okay? I used to like their old school vegetarian stuff, before they tried to make it a bit trendy. A bit on the bland side sometimes though.

Yakitori duck in Soba Express on Carey's Lane.

The portion size is bigger than it looks in the photo.

Simple but tasty. €16.90

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 240 ✭✭scrotist

Is it possible that you find it very filling because it's 98% bread? That was my experience last time I was there, and never went back. This was a few years ago actually, and I thought it was expensive back then for basically a pizza base with a 0.5mm later of falafel dust scraped onto it.

Like when you have only a half teaspoon of jam left and you try and scrape it across the whole slice of toast one micron thick.

Maybe I should give it another go. It's odd that everybody in the city absolutely loves this place except me. Then again, everybody would die for Lennoxes too and I think it's shyte 😄 I guess it's me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭Iguarantee

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,898 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Lennox’s was great years ago but not for a long time now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,185 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Honestly, I never really rated Lennox's.

Awful, greasy junk. The place does look clean and well run though.

You aren't unique the way you think you are. Several people on this thread, myself included have stated that they don't rate Izz. Same for Lennox's.

I don't live on boards.ie

I Interact with people in real life. Sorry if I didn't read this entire thread before posting.

Ah right, that explains it. You are the only one 👍

That shows the power of a brand, especially with the "other" Lennox's.

I'm going to visit YoYo tomorrow. Chinese store and restaurant on centre park road.

Not sure what to expect, but the menu looks like authentic Chinese at least (a lot of organ meat).

Post edited by igCorcaigh on

As promised, Yo Yo Chinese restaurant.

Braised Beef Brisket & Tendon Pot (€15.80, rice +€2).

This was my first time trying beef tendon, but I did find it a bit too gelatinous and rich for me.

Good flavour, large portion and very friendly service.

We were given a free bottle of water, and offered refills of rice at no extra cost.

I think it's worth saying that this is a tiny cafeteria style restaurant that is attached to a well stocked Chinese supermarket (which is worth a visit in itself), and not somewhere designed to visually impress.

This place should appeal to those who are after the authentic and rustic style of Chinese cuisine, but they also have a takeaway menu for the more familiar fast food style.

Looking forward to going back to try some of their other dishes.

Post edited by igCorcaigh on

food is soo vast - depends on what your into.. Q name your 3 fav places to eat in Cork? not inc. your home lol

Not too sweet?

Syrupy sauces are a big problem for me in those kind of Asian restaurants. Same problem with cheap Japanese restaurants - everything apart from sushi tends to be very sweet!

• Advertisement

Not overly sweet in a syrupy, gloopy way, more of a mix of sweetness and soy sauce, and not too much of the sauce either. Enough to season the rest of the meal. YMMV of course.

Nosta (lamb grill plate is my favourite thing there), Four Liars and...... Not sure. Maybe Coriander for a decent Indian ( only been to the ballincollig one).

ok.. well I adore Izz cos of the flavours - zaatar, sumac, dukka, tahini, pomegranate etc and adore the texture of their flatbreads and their tabouleh - can't speak for others.. and I defo feel that there is more than enough topping on the falafel mannoshet - the hummus and tahini sauce are v filling

maybe try their chicken dish - might be more substantial for you - has potatoes and aubergine - i'm not a lover of it - feel its a bit greasy

not a restaurant per se, but had probably thee best chips of my life at Joesfarmcrisps Killeagh yday - spent the avo picking sunflowers there - proper chips made from their own potatoes - divine - was almost gonna get a 2nd helping - fab day out too - check it out on social media - fun to had by kids of all ages - you can buy produce and other goods too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,028 ✭✭✭opus

Seemed fine to me but ymmv of course. It's back to some set menu items along with a few specials every day similar to the old days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭notAMember

Is it still cash only there? I got caught out there before, only had cards and other currencies with me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Folks,

What's exactly in the Marina Market? Full of food stalls and other trinkets? Worth visiting of a Saturday evening to pass a couple of hours with nothing else planned?

Mostly food stalls. Well worth a visit. 👍

Just bear in mind that there's nothing else in that local area, and I think the MM closes at 8pm. Worth getting there well before that.

Thanks for the advice.

Literally just walking from the hotel to check it out and get a bit of grub so not expecting to do much else 👍

• Advertisement

I'd recommend not going the quay side way if you're walking; going the Centre Park Road way is further than going along the river, but much more pedestrian friendly.

So cross the river at the bridge from Penrose Quay, then down Albert Road onto Centre Park Rd, as opposed to continuing straight on Kennedy Quay?

Exactly. Otherwise you're walking through the old port with obstacles and an open quay side. Rough area too.

Not a restaurant review, but just a Sudanese coffee in Blue Café. Spiced with cardamom and ginger, perhaps black pepper too. Very warming on this drizzly, grey day.

Lovely owner; I think they do food as well, so I must return to try that.

Dosa Spot (formerly Ignite) on Washington Street seems to be opening.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 90 ✭✭Ruginator

Looks like Perry Street didn't last long in Dripsey. Opened in March and closed already. Next up.....

https://www.yaycork.ie/the-boat-house-coffee-shop-just-announced-another-much-larger-location/

mad - you only reviewed Ignite a few days ago…

The newly opened Dosa Spot, Washington Street.

Crispy masala dosa (€11) with spiced, herby potato filling. The accompanying dips and rasam didn't hold back on the flavour and spice. Delicious!

Also, excellent masala chai (spiced tea) for €4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭Harika

Treated myself twice to Samosas last week.

Once at the Sensasion stall at the Mahon farmer's market and at the Stewstore in Douglas. Both excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,176 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Ooh This reminds me of Kasi cafe in dublin! I must go check it out

Cafe Depeche on Lancaster Quay have moved into their next door space, and the new food menu looks seriously good. I love this cafe.

I haven't tried any of the food yet, but will report back when I do.

doing great work for us @igCorcaigh 😀

So, I tried the French onion soup in Cafe Depeche.

A bit underwhelmed tbh. The onions were not nearly caramelised enough, so it was a grey soup of softened onions which lacked flavour. No beef broth; it could even have been helped with a little salt... The Gruyere on baguette topping was a bit sloppy, and not toasted enough, as it should be.

I didn't give any feedback, maybe I should have, but wasn't prompted for any.

But I will try again. The other soup is a smoked chicken Mexican tortilla soup. Sounds good.

Coconut - Glanmire
    Ordered for delivery and ETA of 30 min given. After 20 min the driver called to the door. Its a 10 min drive to us from there, what indicates how this abomination of food was cooked. Tasteless, microwaved - would not recommend.

I walked by all the time and looked nice, should have read the reviews beforehand…. :(

A takeaway putting food out in 10 minutes doesn't seem unreasonable to me. What takeaway food is cooked from scratch?

Can't say I'm surprised, really. They don't have a great track record with food.

It really annoys me, though, when professional chefs don't know how to make basic, classic dishes or when they appear to not know what cooking terms mean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭notAMember

Thanks for posting, and the review. I find it hard to agree that the menu looks good. The menu would put me off there in how it is written. How they are describing the food is complicated, too hard to understand honestly. Even having read it a few times now, I still don't fully get it. I can't imagine what someone running a translation tool would make of it, and how do you even order it without sounding like an eejit who can't form a sentence.

Take the example of the charcuterie board item called "Shouldn't have done that Ireland" Firstly, what? You say "I'll have a shouldn't have done that please"? And on the board is a red cabbage panna cotta. I can't even grasp what that could be and how a panna cotta works on a charcuterie board? Maybe it's not a charcuterie board but some sort of deconstructed item? Also don't understand calling a menu item "Chicken are Chicken". "Chicken Sandwich" works fine lads, and if there's some in joke or meme for "chicken are chicken", I don't know it. This gives it a feeling of exclusion, not being part of the cool gang who gets it.

If you're a vegetarian, there isn't much for you there either, just one lonely item on the whole menu (poke?) and it's not well marked as either vegetarian or vegan, which it could be. Both the soups there are meat-based, at least french onion soup usually is, and the boards and all the sandwiches have meat. It's easy to do a meat-free board, include some roasted veg, olives and cheese, and not too tricky to do a veg or cheese sandwich either.

So not a well balanced menu imho.

• Advertisement
Advertisement