Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

(Site is a graveyard - How can boards save itself?) Any update?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,965 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Undoubtedly.

The last few posts really do show some of the problems this thread is trying to highlight but I'd imagine not in the desired way.

Some people just refuse to actually engage in an actual discussion in a coherent manner and just keep repeating the same faux issues. Then blame others for derailing a discussion they have refused to contribute to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,191 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,398 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

What do you see as a subtle dig?

If it was the paragraph about trolls you'd know what it meant if you suspected the same posters of being trolls. I obviously can't elaborate further and accuse some posters of being trolls, but I'm sure everyone can recognise some in whatever fora/threads they participate in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,854 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

A few years ago, around 2019 iirc, I got a DM on here. It was from a poster who I regularly butted heads with on some of the more contentious CA threads.

Thing is though, the DM wasn't meant for me, it was about me, but was intended to be sent to someone else. It was basically intended to be a message from the poster to someone else on the thread saying how they should respond to my posts so as to p*ss me off. Because I was in the posters head, they added me as the recipient by accident.

I didn't report them, I didn't forward it to a Mod, I took it as a sign my arguments were working that they were so motivated to even think along these lines.

We're adults here, I'd have viewed sending that to a mod or reporting it like running to the teacher to tattle in primary school. If you think that posters are stirring the pot, and it bothers you and yet you join heated discussions on a public forum, I don't know what to tell you. Like, what do you want a Mod to do, tell the posters to 'Be nice to Poster X, they're getting upset'. That would only increase the amount of moderation require significantly, when what I think most people would see as taking a step in the wrong direction with respect to making things better.

Re the meet ups - while it is a lovely idea and was successful in the past I think we're all more aware of the negative side of online behaviour and I'd say many would be reluctant to waive their anonymity now. It might work better for private groups, but any I'm in are very quiet.

• Advertisement

I suppose the NY Times editor will have to do an expose exclusive video for here to meet those standards 😊

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,098 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

It's this paragraph right here:

Whats really galling is a few of these troll type posters, some of the most blatant on Boards are actively posting on this thread and trying to feign constructive input.

Which you seem to support. Judging by your next post.

So tell me, do you not see it as a dig towards posters?

I'm obviously missing some point, so maybe you can tell me the point of adding that paragraph in?

Did it add constructively to the thread? If so, how? I cannot see it myself. I asked the OP, but he doesn't engage, .

Tell me, why can you not elaborate further? You are afraid of calling out trolls? Have you used the report button to allow the admin to judge for themselves?

Because right now, all I'm seeing are trolls that are not adding constructively to this debate in feedback at all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,339 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I've been to one. It was brilliant. I flew in from London, stayed with another mod and had a great time. We had one lined up for March 2020 but that didn't come to pass.

No way would I even consider that now with the site the way it is. I've met a few posters here and there one to one and it's always been fun but a general meetup would not be for me.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

Funny thing is, at the height of boards success, I would say the mods were far from balanced. And very well known for it. This was absolutely a liberal, LGBTQ Friendly, anti-Nazi, Anti fascist site, and it was a lot more popular for it.

There was no "freedom of speech" on boards back then.

If you didn't like it, tough. There were other fora for you. The likes of Stormfront etc.

That's what I think now, it's sad but the world and Internet are different places now.

• Advertisement

It's feedback thread, pointing out that there are trolls on Boards is Feedback, pointing out that those you think are trolls have posted on the thread is feedback.

Wouldn't it be a better site without trolls?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,869 ✭✭✭Shoog

We have all had nasty pile on's. It's part of been on a public forum. We are also grown ups so know these things happen.

What pisses me off is the perpetual victimhood and bitching about mods.

The term trolls is a pretty strong one. It takes more than just one persons accusation that this is the case.

'Trolls' yes, they are not welcome, but just because a few different posters often challenge your posts doesn't make them trolls for doing so.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,339 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I had a fair few pile ones from all sides of the spectrum. Whining about it here is neither feedback nor constructive.

It's been that way for a while but it's definitely getting worse. I think covid accelerated a lot of changes that were ongoing.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

I don't count posters who challenge my posts as trolls, I'm not six.

It's their observable behaviour, I don't interact with some of them but I can see the repeated patterns of behaviour. They could challenge all my posts if they wanted, but I'd just ignore them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,965 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

But again its the entire character of some to make a niche/outlandish claim ie "The World is flat" and then immediately play victim/bias when the majority counter their post. They rarely reference their OP that started it and just start the victim/bias stick and when the thread is in the sewer and locked then complain they were silenced.

Depends on what you class as trolls.

I would class people that don't engage as trolls.

I would class people that snipe as trolls.

I would class people that flame bait as trolls.

I would class people that video dump as trolls.

I would class people that don't actually put forward suggestions on a feedback thread, but use it to air petty grievances instead as trolls.

It's a site wide issue. No direction from the top. No definitions of what's allowed. And no rules publicised.

Look at the politics charter, for example.

8 years old and if you follow the link for further information on board rules, it brings you here:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/faq.php?faq=bie_faq

Which of course, is empty.

Or look at the CA/IMHO charter...

You can't, there either isn't one, or it's just not stickied.

That's crazy. The changeover was what, 2 or 3 years ago? I get that there's a ton of goodwill volunteer moderation that goes into the place (I was a mod here for about 18 years) but come on, when the changeover happened, one of the issues that should have been looked at was making sure the rules of the place were stickied in every fora, with fora specific charters coming later down the line.

Exactly.

We've seen a massive rise in speech that was previously identifiable as fascists in recent years. The US, the UK, Europe, Ireland all have several examples of this being the case. At many different levels of society, internet, media, political and recently more and more, in public. Douglas Murrays comments in recent days are no different to Enoch Powell's rivers of blood speech from the late-60's.

We've had examples here of the prevalence of threads focused on right wing topics on the site, is it really believable then that given that and the wider society shift that people with such views are not here also and if so, should that speech not be called out? Is that what people are arguing, that we ignore this reality and absolve the participants? I completely disagree.

We all know the site is awful, I doubt at this stage it will ever be sorted.

This thread was started to get an update on the previous thread where plenty of feedback was given by a lot of users.

• Advertisement

I don't know why every post here is brought back to left vs right wing. None of mine are related to politics or the CA forum.

There's more to Boards than posters arguing the toss over their political ideologies. This isn't specifically aimed at you, it's just been brought up a lot in this thread.

Politics inspires strong feelings. Then again, so does Soccer and we don't have football fans here accusing mods of supporting one team or another.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭nachouser

We just need for technology to catch up so we can clone a few more mods like Seth Brundle and have them sort out the site. The Politics forum does not f*ck about:-)

The thread isn't all bickering about mods though either. You're a mod so you'll naturally be more aware of any that do.

Because this was in a central part of a post in the discussion.

My two cents on modding in CA there is no balance you have CMods posting elsewhere calling Trump supporters Nazis and rape supporters and yet the same individual is there to review any bans?

Seems to me it comes down to the old argument of, "Do we bring them into the light to argue with them, and to show the world how awful they and their opinions are?"

Which is what I used to think, until they stopped engaging. They dump and run. Or lie. And it's frustrating. It's a one sided conversation.

Right now, I believe that fascism is on fire and boards has a duty not to give it any more oxygen. Let them find their own spaces.

And what I mean by that, I believe the rules of posting need to be made firmer and clearer than they are.

As a private company, there is no such thing as freedom of speech on boards.ie

With that in mind, our general rules are (with definitions in each link)

No Trolling

No Flame-baiting

No Racism (of ALL types including asylum seekers, travellers etc)

No Sexism (misogynism OR misandry)

No Homophobia

No Transphobia

We have a guiding rule, "Don't be a dick". Don't make life hard for our volunteer moderators by being a dick, you will be banned

This is a living charter and will be updated as needs to be to ensure boards.ie is a fun, pleasurable, inclusive site to visit.

If you don't want to play by those rules, fine, off you pop, the web is a very large arena, im sure you'll find your place somewhere.

I'm sure someone is biting at the bit to say, "So, we just turn boards into an echo chamber?"

No! We just get rid of the racists, misogynists, transphobes and homophobes, and make it more welcoming to normal people.

I'm sure we used to 🤣

I definitely remember people going to the help desk to complain they got banned because "That Liverpool supporting mod banned me for being a United supporter".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,213 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Just to add, the constant calling people 'illegal immigrants ' when they are perfectly legally claiming asylum, is just more of the drip drip of far right rhetoric being allowed on boards. It appears to be perfectly ok to criminalise foreigners.

• Advertisement

It's important to note that while robust discussion should always be allowed, some people are here to just spread hate and nothing more. Telltale signs are incessant dumping of links to fascists, Nazis and fake news sources, dogwhistles and the constant refrain to the concept of the "mainstream" as a pejorative.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement