Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Olympic Games Paris 2024 - AH Thread [Thread banned posters listed in first post.]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,420 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Surely, and I'd be fairly hopeful that'd it be the case, that young girls would be looking up to Kellie and Rashidat. They are the big ones to get kids interested. We should be pumping money into both sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

What an absolute rag of a yoke

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/othersport/arid-41453959.html

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭gigantic09

Rashidat wouldn't have been there at all if the other girls hadn't qualified for the final first tho 🤷,it's a #£&£@#£ team sport

• Registered Users Posts: 10,109 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

If one of the 12 athletes in the teams in front (or reserves) test + for doping over the next few years the they will get a medal….

Not something you would hope for but it is a strong possibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

If you haven’t see one in recent times you’re in for a bit of a shock!

Staged events for quick times pretty much. It’s also rare to see any Irish athletes at any of them

I think they’re great all the same

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,727 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

come on show the basketball

• Registered Users Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭amacca

I dunno....there may be some merit in them...think theres only about .8 of second between a winning 100m sprint now and one 100 years ago....despite all the equipment, coaching, nutrition etc etc in that time...they probably ran in boots and trousers back then!

• Registered Users Posts: 86,850 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Who from Team Ireland will be on DWTS and Living with Lucy

• Registered Users Posts: 11,420 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Imagine being in your 30s and being involved in 'breaking'. Eminem should rap about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,780 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

I'm not watching that break dancing, turn of the men this time. There must be something better RTE can show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,595 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Surely they've got to give priority to a real sport like breakdancing

• Registered Users Posts: 26,548 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Ya I know "happy to be there" blaa blaa blaa but the excitement of the last few days has been unreal. I've felt literally sick about not one but two athletics finals.

I finally had the chance to scream at the TV watching an Irish cyclist in national kit at a road race. Finally not make up the numbers but go balls to the wall.

And tomorrow I wake up to a slim hope of a woman with no home velodrome maybe win a medal in a velodrome.

Put the record breaking medal haul aside and this has still been an amazing Olympics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

No, by having to be involved in 2 handoffs and with the cross over to the inside lane it means she runs slightly more than the 400 metres so it's an advantage to have her run the second leg out of the 4 as she's the strongest runner of the 4 of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,177 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

"Dominated middle distance running for more than a decade" right....how many Olympic golds did she win? How many world outdoor champs did she win in her career?

I don't disagree with the rest, but to say that is just nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,542 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I love the breakdancing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭appledrop

We are watching the breakdance, we are in knots laughing here it is so ridiculous 😂 and this is the final.

Appreciation Post

For

David Gillick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

For me I’m glad it’s over tomorrow. Football back next week 🥇🤩

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭ledwithhedwith

I wouldn’t have thought a singular olympics medal could give you the tag of dominant for years. Think she was dominant in European circles though.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,177 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Ha still more culture there than most of LA lol...plus I would say a pharmacy! Handy...

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

I haven’t in fairness!, bit of shame really. I used to live in Birmingham and saw many meets at the Alexander Stadium with some of GBs best and occasionally International athletes. This was 30 years back though!! Miss those days!

• Registered Users Posts: 56,486 ✭✭✭✭walshb

and fingers crossed we aren’t doping as well, yeh?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭appledrop

David Gillick was absolutely brilliant, makes so much sense to have someone who has actually been there doing the interviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭RoscommonHero

Felt bad for Sharlene for feeling like it was her fault that we missed out on a medal, she also felt so bad for Rashidat as she didn't want her to miss out again. I was hoping the other girls would have reassured her and consoled her, I'm sure they did, just not on air.

Gillick is getting a lot of kudos for two very simple things

a) having a knowledge of the sport
    b) empathising with the athletes

You would these would be the most basic of pre-requisites for any on-site reported but he looks so good by comparison with the litany of folks on RTE and BBC who fail to tick these two boxes.

I find it odd that the trackside reporter on the BBC is Irish and I don't think it's a good choice at all. She doesn't seem to have a great knowledge nor can she really properly empathize with the British athletes, her questions and queries are usually unbelievably trite. I wonder how she got the gig.

One last thing I will say is that I don't like when athletes and participants are constantly asked about the support, it's like the go-to question when the reporter runs out of things to say. The query almost always reveals absolutely nothing. Your country could have one person in the stadium and the athlete will say "support was great, blah, blah, blah". Total waste of time of a question, I am counting the days down until some no-nonsense athlete responds with "I thought I would have seen a few more flags around the place, support was fairly shite, obviously people spent their cash on Benidorm rather than watching me, hope they regret it now."

• Registered Users Posts: 14,223 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Only saw the RTE interview with the 4x400 girls now. Rhasidat is a joy to listen to, such a role model. Hopefully there are Olympic medals individually and as a team in the future.

Sharlene being so harsh on herself.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,936 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Those kind of comparisons are really pointless. Standards and times improve . Comparing to times 32 years ago!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭klr87

All other things being equal, the lead-out leg is the slowest, and the anchor leg is the quickest. What is harder to assess is just how much "quicker" Adeleke actually was compared to Mawdsley. What is striking is how much faster Anning* is on paper to Mawdsley (i.e., individual 400m times), yet how little there was between them on the last leg.

*about 1.4 seconds

• Registered Users Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭amacca

It was a class olympics imo. Obviously the timezone and the fact I could watch so much of it live and could choose what to watch at any given time with discovery and the coverages on RTE, BBC and Eurosport made a difference.....but everything I watched was brilliant entertainment and the more traditional elements, track & field, swimming really delivered great races almost every day...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Hold My Hand

Advertisement