Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How are you sharpening your HSS and masonry drill bits

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71 ✭✭T5180

if you can teach yourself to sharpen them by hand on a bench grinder you will save yourself a fortune . its not difficult but it does take lots of practice . if the lip relief at the sides is worn away you will need to grind down past this ,otherwise very little grinding is required.

Masonry drills are far easier but have a carbide insert so a silicon carbide wheel is required, usually these are green.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

There's a knack to it and once you get that, it's a breeze. 2 parts to it - 1st is the cutting edge and 2nd is blending in the face (HSS bits) Here's a still from a vid I made to explain - I've put a good edge on it and the face now needs to be blended - That is a freehand wiping up motion to get rid of that line you can see in the middle of the face

The lines on the tool rest are scribed into it at 59 degrees (half of the 118 degrees mentioned in the op's vid) and that's the angle you rest the bit at to get the edge sharpened - I can do any size down to about 3mm (below that, it's hit n miss)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,494 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Thanks, its 159 dollars in the US

https://www.amazon.com/Drill-Doctor-High-Speed-TiN-coated-Adjustable/dp/B000BKTA00/ref=sr_1_1?crid=18KWCRUGB4Q9I&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.mAOdjBqrVtadfBvXsBxznRwAWUz8kse2FFyqW3ZpB8KCCoUz4BB6aJfxax8Y6f1_-O6R5uOm2kIQyY37jpv2UF6S7-nkXlftsklmhOei_8a3RHtR1Hs-syECPlCRxo8IYDO47_yDckGjsPk1ePLyeK5SYjlDk1i1T49NluGXhWHNjqtNobT-9I-XivzNapIpe9U-as0FDQ4dQvS1x3TWma8TY_BMZS0zvgJu7CO61BAkowEdPAn0CtV133LK2jggBnjbW7zJMKZSc7gfAawvQCkbhD0Nc6B2BxyQR20KQo4.MzAfmSAQUUbZybtBHxd0DYeB-nGhkrqcX8C8sDOPJT8&dib_tag=se&keywords=drill+doctor+dd750x+750x+drill+bit+sharpener&qid=1722858418&sprefix=drill+bit+sharpener+750x+%2Caps%2C186&sr=8-1

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

https://www.lidl.ie/p/drill-bit-sharpener/p10029733 € 19.99 in store from 15.08. - 21.08.

"Simple and safe sharpening of HSS drill bits"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Mr321

Got one the last time they are great. Does up to a 13mm bit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,494 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Picked one up yday, not for me as not up to the required standard: too much radial movement, especially with bigger, longer bits, which makes getting the 180 degrees angle on both sides difficult.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Advertisement