Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

(Site is a graveyard - How can boards save itself?) Any update?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,196 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

TBF this is a Feedback thread in the Feedback form, nothing to do with Immigration

I know it's a strong opinionated subject but please, I'd like to see this thread kept open for site Feedback

Sorry if this is seen as back seat modding but too many threads linked to Immigration get closed so no need to derail off track this thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,051 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Another excellent point.

The whole meaning of the word Moderate is avoiding extremes of behavior or expression.

A good moderator should try to stay objective, and keep their opinions and feelings out of the discussion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

Apologies, but I would completely disagree with you. It was in reply to something I posted and completely makes sense to be on this thread in relation to my post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,213 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Actually, it was a response to a post about the far right rhetoric on boards, which it is part of.

Its feedback in relation to the type of speech and posts that are being allowed on the forum. Criminalising of people is drip drip drip far right rhetoric. just more of the xenophobic and racist posts that we are seeing more and more of.

If you have an issue with a post you fell is 'off topic ' I think the procedure has been mentioned here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,369 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Indeed, which would be fine if alternative threads were open & active. But usually they are shut down quick - 'we don't need another thread… blah, blah'. So once the cabal has taken over a thread it just becomes a chat between themselves. The subject becomes no go for any serious debate. One way of reducing a moderators workload I guess but a major minus point for Boards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,346 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Nothing you're saying about far right rhetoric can be substantiated though.

You perceive anything you disagree with as far right, you have accused people of pushing far right rhetoric repeatedly and in 99.9% of cases it's completely untrue and all you appear to be setting out to do is discredit the person you make that accusation against.

Boards is not a welcoming habitat for far right opinions, from the majority of users being left of centre to far left and the same with the moderation/admin team, anyone who actually set up an account here spewing real hateful rhetoric would be banned in double quick time and everyone here knows it.

What you, and others who share your opinions are angling for is an echo chamber where only the opinions you want to read are posted and anyone who deviates from that being site banned.

Your assertions and the response you are hoping to engender run contrary to the purpose of a discussion board, you don't want discussion, you want agreement from all present, and I'd suggest if that's what you want, go start a blog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,854 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Nothing you're saying about far right rhetoric can be substantiated though.

Come on now.

A thread was started here 2 days ago, immediately included posts implying islam is a problem to such an extent that that thread was closed and deleted. I read some of those posts before the thread disappeared at it was the exact same type of statements that we're seeing people being questioned by police in the UK right now.

°°°°°

"the thread was closed and deleted".

Come on now, how does that tally with far right rhetoric being allowed on the site?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭nachouser

Let's be honest, the site isn't a graveyard. There are hundreds of threads which happily tick along every day.

The problem or the discussion is about polarisation, which is happening across the world in general. Some will say boards is full of left wing posters, some will say it's full of right wing posters. The truth is somewhere in the middle where boards ticks along with it's many, many other forums and this argument will go back and forth ad finitum.

Mods will get stuff wrong, or not be online 24/7. Suck it up.

What you, and others who share your opinions are angling for is an echo chamber where only the opinions you want to read are posted and anyone who deviates from that being site banned.

I told you there'd be one.

And yeah. The internet is a great big place with lots of room for everyone. Not everyone needs to here at boards.ie.

This place was once a lot more tolerant and liberal than it is now, and it was better and more popular than it is now, and a large part of that (apart from the old website being 1,000x better) is the fighting that constantly goes on because the rules have changed, aren't publicised and aren't as strictly enforced as they should be.

Another part of that is moderator numbers. Without clear guidance from the top as to what is allowed and what isn't in the form of charters in every fora, and actually having a group identity of what boards.ie is and what it stands for, you're not going to get those mods.

I volunteered as a mod for many years and was super proud of it, because of the boards.ie community. It happened that the community rules and ethos lined up with mine (most of the time) so it was easy for me to "police" the site, because I cared about the site as a whole.

Like I previously said, this doesn't lead to an echo chamber. There were many, many disagreements, but the level of vitriol between users was not there like it is now. And it can't be "substantiated", but we know it's there. We can sense it, and we can feel it.

• Advertisement

Absolutely wrong. There is no issue with discussions on a discussion board, unless they are actually racist, xenophobic, sexist etc. Those should be shut down and deleted from a thread. The longer those type of posts are on thread, the more it appears that it's a perfectly acceptable opinion to have, and it is not.

It has nothing to do with my opinions or people disagreeing with me. I have been accused of being far right myself on some threads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,275 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

Can we add

• No ableism
    • No ageism

to that list please?

The rhetoric isn't that it is being allowed on the site, it is that it is more and more a viewpoint which is the MO for starting threads. It's a sign of how the site has trended in that direction in recent years and we all have various opinions as to why that is the case.

And not every thread is nuked as this one was, there are several that last much longer. I would argue that the speed at which this one went in the direction they did is actual evidence of the growing predominance of such viewpoints around certain forums.

A lot of this is true.

But what we've lost along the way is the large volume of largely non-polarising and entertaining threads that helped to make this feel like a positive environment. It may have been a negatively perfect storm, the changeover to Vanilla happened as polarisation in society was ratcheted up several notches and that changeover drove away uses, mods, tools and processes. That meant that when users came back to see what was left, it was a less entertaining place and so that empty space has been filled, to a fair degree, with views of a particular mindset.

I think the secret is to turn it off at 1amevery night, and bring back The Cuckoos Nest...

°°°°°

But none of those things are tolerated here.

Boards is an extremely left leaning website. It allows opposing views to be expressed but not to the point where unadulterated hate is tolerated.

Can you link to a thread that is filled with hateful xenophobic racist content right now?

°°°°°

Can you cite a thread of this type that is currently open on boards then? I'm assuming it should be an easy task.

Can you link to a thread that is filled with hateful xenophobic racist content right now?

You mean like the one that was closed and deleted within the last 48 hrs after only being active for a few hours?

°°°°°

The fact that it was closed and deleted after a few hours doesn't support your assertion that far right rhetoric is an issue on boards. Can you not see that?

• Advertisement

No one said unadulterated hate is tolerated? There are more and more posts, pushing racist, islamophobic, sexist ideas. Drip feeding them and Boards should be shutting those posters down, before they get out of hand.

I don't need to point out threads, everyone knows which ones they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

How is boards extremely left wing? It's a discussion forum where you see alot of right wing posters posting in current affairs and politics. You can see that in the amount of immigration and Islam related threads that are running concurently that were pointed out by a poster in this thread a while back.

°°°°°

Why can't you just link to one then?

I don't believe a word of what you're saying. Boards isn't a hotbed of far right rhetoric and you're not able to back up your assertion that it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,947 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Sometimes it’s hidden behind a lot of nuance.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

°°°°°

Do you understand the concept of burden of proof?

Absolutely not.

The thread was started and filled up very quickly with heavily thanked posts that were problematic, in my view. As I said, it read very similar to what we saw last week being shouted by various protestors and commentators in the UK.

The thread would have only had a handful of posts and likely wouldn't have been deleted if it wasn't a problem. Neither was the case.

You're suggestion is like saying that crime isn't an issue as long as the people are being arrested afterwards.

Do you understand how hard it is to search for something on boards?

Im not particularly bothered whether you believe what I'm posting. This is a feedback thread and hopefully some of what is posted on here, will be taken on board by the powers that be.

I will just point out that the constant barage of overly heated and personal points by some posters ( not saying you) doesn't help the site at all. It's draining. It's no craic.

°°°°°

In your view they were problematic.

You literally think everything you don't like is far right. You aren't a non partisan observer TMH.

You didn't like the thread and it's now gone but you would prefer if the people you disagree with just weren't allowed in at all.

How do you feel that can be achieved?

• Advertisement
    °°°°°

I understand that if I make a claim I can expect to be asked to substantiate it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement