Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€1 million+ to leave behind

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Ah no Renko is right. If OP sits on his couch, gets rid of his car, grows his own food, doesn't heat his home and avoids travel then his nieces and nephews will have a much nicer world to grow up in. 😂

I presume Renko had never taken an "unnecessary" flight?

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭csirl

Inheritance tax shouldnt be a reason not to leave someone something. Most people would prefer to pay tax on a large inheritance than no tax on a small one! Tax laws change over the years/decades. Let the beneficiaries sort out their own tax affairs - dont worry about it.

My personal view on inheritance is that it should stay in the family. If it were me, I"d leave it to siblings and nephews/neices. I'd also e.g. give each sibling an equal share. Nothing worse than causing bad feeling by leaving unequal amounts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,047 ✭✭✭893bet

I dont think it’s the beneficiary that usually moans about inheritance tax. They are on a win either way.

It’s the disponer. It sickening to work hard and save all your life and then have 33% of it swiped on your death bed.

@OP you are young so while good to have these conversations you could need significant and expensive end of life care so don’t get rid of it too fast.

And definately pick a favourite niece/nephew….. pick wisely though…..they will need to earn it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,834 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

'picking a favourite' is a good way of causing resentment, no? I assume you mean in the legal sense, but at a practical level there's a moral impetus to be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,972 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Well, depending on the decisions made by the disponer, there is a lot of scope for the beneficiary to avoid paying much, if any, tax. The deceased is not taxed at all on it - i.e. it isn't taken from them.

From a philosophical point of view, it is probably the fairest form of taxation. In practice, I would admit that those who are most exposed to it are probably the best place to avoid it though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

it’s not often that you hear that on boards! Renko is right😁😁

he normally disrupts every thread he is on with Green Party propaganda.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭downtheroad

If you're talking about Favourite Nephew Relief, this only applies to business assets, so is very unlikely to apply the OP from the information he provided.

You don't get to just nominate a favourite nephew or niece and leave more cash to them free of inheritance tax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,377 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,377 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Eh, only if you want to actually fail to make a return - especially the envelopes of cash. You work in a regulated environment, don’t you? Maybe recognise that there are other regulated environments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,999 ✭✭✭✭anewme

100%. Especially if you are a PAYE worker, leaving your after tax income.

Single people are treated unfairly in the inheritance tax system, especially those in the PAYE system.

I'd advise the OP to enjoy life and spend as much as they can. The house is enough to leave to relatives.

As for the fair deal, they will take 80% of your pension.

Enjoy life now, while you can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,830 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

However, if you do wish to see Australia then a business class seat is more comfortable, first class might not be needed. You could say that the Revenue will pay one third of this since it reduces funds on which inheritance tax will be paid.

Best to do this when you can. Although owing to some luck I am broadly in a similar situation to the OP, and very interested in travel, at present a back problem (sore, but in no way life threatening) means that I would not choose to go on even a First Class flight to Australia.

Probably best not to spend too much time concerned with tax, leave money to those who deserve it, some tax may still be deducted but a lot will still be received.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭bilbot79

I don't understand why people have such a beef with inheritance tax. The state provided the environment in which your hard work could be converted to cash without being lost to gangs and mafia etc, then when you die it takes a cut to continue paying for same

Intergenerational wealth unfairly rigs the game against those who don't have pedigree, which nobody outside of Rees-Mogg & Co wants.

I agree the current limits are too low but any inheritance above say a million should be well taxed.

Some rich people become so habituated to accumulation that they never even spend. Even in this conversation the spectre of tax is encouraging posters to advise spending it, which is good for economies. Use it or lose it!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,834 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'll flip it around - why should i have to pay tax on money i've worked hard to earn, and not pay tax on money i've received as a matter of the luck of being the child of wealthy parents; money i did nothing to earn?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

If you do plan on donating to an Animal Charity do not give any to the DSPCA, they get enough funding and do less than other rescues.

anyway, to get back to the OP's question - not advice on what (s)he should do, but one option i'd possibly take were it me, based on my current circumstances.

buy a nice holiday home out west; and get as much use out of it as you can - this includes allowing the nieces and nephews you're fond of, good use of it if they want. would probably make you a popular uncle. and the thing is, it can be sold if necessary or left to them in a will for them to make the decision whether to sell it or keep it.

plus, it would avoid the flying/saving the planet conundrum!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,972 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

A million?

That would be the equivalent of an extra 2m earned before tax during your lifetime for most people. i.e. a salary bump of about 45k per year for 45 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Buy a good decent size of disadvantaged land in a part of the country you like, then see how to supplement the existing natural flora & fauna. Manage it back so that nature can thrive there. Then see about gifting it to a charity, local community group or the state when you die. That's a good investment and will leave the place in a little better state than otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

spend 95% on fast cars, fast women and booze - squander the rest !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭mulbot

Maybe because the money you've "created " into society is the first time this will be taxed-the money your wealthy parents created has also been taxed as they've earned it, having g to pay tax on that already taxed money, is nothing short of legal theft

i'd happily disagree.

many people have less of an issue with paying tax on money they've worked hard to earn, than they do with paying tax on money they've been gifted without having to earn it. i don't agree with that line of logic.

to illustrate - Joe has a job paying him €33.5k pa. according to the income tax calculator on the PWC site, he will pay nearly €5k in tax.

Pat inherits exactly ten times that much from a parent, and pays no tax on it.

it'd take Joe 10 years to earn the amount in the gift Pat has just received - ten years of working - and he'd have to pay nearly €50k in tax for the privilege. which of those is theft?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭ArrBee

At the rush of detailing the thread further....

How would you feel about birthday presents being taxed when you receive them?

You haven't done anything to earn it, so it's fair game right?

I think there are various ways the tax system can be changed to make things more fair. Perhaps some form of inheritance tax could be part of that, but in it's current shape most people resent it as a double taxation.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,668 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Just curious why try so hard to avoid inheritance tax so desperately. Why shouldn't some of it contribute to the running of the state, which it's self actually operates as a charity in many ways.

YoYou could buy up bits of land and re-wild it, make it a wildlife sanctuary and donate it to the state to maintain it when you're gone. Name it after yourself and you'll have a placename legacy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭XsApollo

gift the max allowable tax free yearly sum to your nieces and nephews every year.

Open accounts in their name and keep lodging until they come of age.

As for your siblings if you’re not close then no need to leave them anything , just because they are, if you want to do that then maybe do something similar to the above.

if you want to donate, then make a wish Ireland, might sound interesting to you. Kids with life ending illnesses and other issues like that, might be quite rewarding for you to help people like that. A lot of times they aren’t big things either.

Disadvantaged children charity or something similar, especially around Christmas time , there are plenty of things like that, same as above a lot of times it simple things that gives them a little bit of joy.

this is a common suggestion - there are also various eNGOs and charities doing similar; might be worth leaving the land to them (or leasing it to them long term on a peppercorn rent) to gain the benefit of the expertise which might come along with it.

they may be more interested/able to make better use of it, than the state would, for whom it could potentially be a very small amount of land.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭ledwithhedwith

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭mulbot

Don't want to sidetrack the thread, what if Joe saved his 28K for the next 20 years and wanted to give to his child,it'll be taxed again. That's theft

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭buzz11

You could leave an amount of money to all your first cousin's, for example €1,500 each which would give them a nice surprise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,047 ✭✭✭893bet

Go back a generation. Maybe Pats father saved every penny he could and went with out. And joes father earned twoice as much as Pat but pissed everything up against the wall. This is why simple analogies are well too simple.

Most important thing here it to not hate the player but hate the game. OP is right to look for legal means to avoid taxation on inheritance he wants to give. Only a fool wouldnt think that way.

You can see I've offered genuine suggestions as to what to do to with the money. No hating of players here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,539 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

No, it isn't. After all, If Joe spends his savings on having his house redecorated, the decorater is liable to income tax on what Joe pays him, even though Joe pays him with money that is already taxed. In both cases the movement of the money from Joe to the recipient is a new taxable event which has never been taxed before. That event is taxed only once.

It's entirely legitimate for Joe to seek to structure his affairs so as to minimise the amount of inheritance tax that his heirs will be liable to, but it's important not to let the tail wag the dog. At the extreme, Joe can avoid his family having any inheritance tax liability simply by donating his entire estate to charity, but if he does that then the objective of minimising tax is taking priority over the objective of providing for people for whom Joe (presumably) cares. Joe shouldn't do that unless that really does represent his priority.

In general, Joe should first of all think about who he wants to provide for and only then consider how to provide for them in the most tax-efficient manner.

Advertisement