Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The future of RTE after Tubsgate.

1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭RoTelly

I'd argue it is more a political opinion, the ESB Network could not add another fee to an ever increasing essential services bill. The government would be in a situation were there would be 2 public service fees added to your Electricity bill on top of a standing charge (introduced when people started to try to save money on their bill). This is on top of the government trying to figure out a plan for the future of An Post. Many forget that An Post and the Post Offices are important to communities/politically, according to the government and politicians.

You don't need insurance. If I didn't have a car I would not be required to get any insurance. I don't have house insurance (though I should), I have health insurance with the company I work for and I regret getting it, I don't have life assurance and so on. So those fee only relate to 2 insurances that I have, and if I stopped driving and if I stopped my health insurance I would not be paying those fees.

If people don't want to have streaming services, broadband and mobile that is up to them but it is highly unlikely in the modern age that they will do without any. But if you do see a drop off in the use of, lets say, broadband as consumers move to 5G then the regulators ComReg and CnaM review how the fee is collected on those bills. (And would review that €270m figure, something that shouldn't be at the hands of government).

The problem saying it is only €10 a month (€120) is that it will just start to grow. As you point out most people are paying more for broadband etc than they pay for the licence so why not tax them on these non-essential service rather than on an essential one?

And unfortunately regardless of which bill you attach the "Telecommunications Culture Charge" to you still have the problem of RTÉ who seem to think, outside of governance and other issues, they've done a pretty good job. The mismanagement of RTÉ will not be rectified under RTÉ's management.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

It wouldn't it would just be replace by RTÉ "Your Public Service Media". Those ads are not included in RTÉ ad minutes as they are taken out by RTÉ. An issue I have that RTÉ have an ad running on behalf of the licence fee collection agency (An Post) under the guise of promo "brought to by the Government of Ireland".

And then of course you have the issue of "The Toy Show the Musical" ads that RTÉ seem to consider "promos", yet I was told the "RTÉ Guide" paid for their ads as they are commercial !

______

Yesterday

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,939 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The funding of RTE is one issue that is a political decision, and not really part of the future of RTE, except the size of the funding.

Aside from that, RTE is currently planning to slash and burn to get its costs to fit its budget. They should be trying to make their offering acceptable to the viewing public such that they actually watch and appreciate and are happy to pay for it.

Viewers like sport, and watch news reports. So why not a proper news channel, and a decent sports channel?

@Sam Russell RTÉ have had years to get the public on side, they’ve never once courted the public. They are not thinking about how to provide a service.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,342 ✭✭✭Tow

There is no sign of RTE Slashing and Burning to cut costs. They gave out hundreds of tin whistles this week! To says nothing of the 130 quid boxed of macaroons. All the staff in Paris, even if just to 'play records'. This is just the very tip of the iceberg. The real cost is the number of staff. Did the government economists advise it was cheaper to bail them out from the Social Welfare budget, keeping everyone employed vs pay the extra dole money?

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

I think the slash and burn is occurring in areas were they should not slash and burn.

______

Yesterday

MOD You were explicitly warned not to go there and you did so anyway.

Post edited by Mickeroo on

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,139 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Any sign of the hundreds of lay offs?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

48 hour ban RoTelly, you were warned (in another thread). Post also deleted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement