Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

(Site is a graveyard - How can boards save itself?) Any update?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,194 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

solid point, DeVore and company used to be up all over these topics

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 887 ✭✭✭OscarMIlde

I can understand the reason you took the action you did, if you felt they were genuinely a decent poster. However if there was a clear, well telegraphed rule of zero tolerance/immediate threadbans for abusive PMs would you have received one in the first place? Having to read abusive PMs and then request that other mods deal with it is not only time consuming but demoralising. Cutting down on abuses like this would surely help with mod recruitment and mod retainment.

that still just puts the power on users/trolls who think they are free to take abuse to 11 while others have to be perfect rays of sunshine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

Yep. Benevolent dictatorship was what we had, with clear, inclusive rules that were explained. The mission of boards.ie was clear. To facilitate and form new and existing communities, and to be a welcoming place.

That's changed, and the owners/management should relay to the user base/community what is the point of boards.ie now.

If it's to be solely a discussion forum, but focussed (mainly) on Irish issues, it has lost its USP, in my opinion.

it’s gone from Devores “no free speech on boards” approach to dealing with chancers to some shareholder driven (to use the term very loosely as who the fcuk is on the wheel) model of “engagement is good”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,854 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Thanks for responding as you have done. You're the only poster from the site side who has made the effort to do so.

I do have an issue with the 'Updates are provided when they are available'. If work is being done, discussions being held, give some form of an update. If work isn't being done or discussions being held, explain why this is the case. 4 months is more than long enough to at least develop something that is worth updating on. Even if it is to say 'Here's what we have identified' or similar. Complete radio silence gives completely the wrong message. I see it as either disinterested or dismissive of the userbase, or that absolutely nothin is happening in the background, and neither is a good look.

That being said, your post does read somewhat of a more detailed version of the previous Mod contribution on a Feedback thread of 'If you are banned it is 100% because you are the problem, not us' that we saw 6 months ago.

With respect to the response to warnings etc. I feel that at this point, this is often bourn out of a wider frustration with the moderation process (It is unacceptable, I'm not justifying it, I'm trying to explain it). This is a self-perpetuating cycle that leads to more frustration, more acrimony and more disillusionment on all sides. Part of resolving this IS on the user base. But part of it absolutely IS on the site and the people who Mod also. I grew particularly annoyed after being banned from a thread (and I've probably only receive 3-5 thread bans in my time here but I think all since the changeover). I did the process of engaging via DM, I then went to the CMods for review. Neither CMod ever responded. That sort of thing doesn't help. If people had faith in the Moderation process, the userbase would self police much more effectively then is currently happening.

Speaking personally, I can't advocate support for a process or blanket acceptance of moderator intervention when I see it as ad hoc and hit and miss as it can all too often appear to be. And we've seen nothing to acknowledge this or plans to counter this from the site side. There's always going to be subjectivity, or disagreement with interactions, but I'd feel we could trust the process much more if there was a process that showed that it could be trusted. Even if Boards site came out and said we're going to analyse the process around a couple mod interactions a month, or even 1 every couple months and show what steps were taken, did it follow a process, was it justified, etc then people on all sides could learn. If this was genuinely happening, even if it wasn't published, I think it might help. Does anything like that happen?

Something is needed, anything would be a start, but it needs to be more than 'We're fine, you're not' that we've seen on two threads now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,124 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

No but if the same poster keeps following you around not posting to add to the discussion but to attack or belittle or try to discredit a poster continually , that is a troll for sure .

Some as Leg said get their kicks from that and don't add anything except a foul whiff to a thread .

That is the poster who should get nuked and not the other who is posting away before getting hit with a personal attack and in defending themselves gets warned for dragging off topic or fighting .

Best ignored and reported although credit to you if you can handle it all yourself without mod intervention . Not everyone is capable of that and they have a right to post here without being attacked every time they post .

But does that happen? Posters following others around?

Like, is it not more likely that the 2 posters just end up on the same threads because they are interested in discussing the same topics?

Accusing a poster of 'following you' in this scenario is up there with calling it a pile on when too many people respond to you.

Now, if Poster B appears in a thread and their first and only posts are deriding Poster A, then it's different. But I genuinely don't know if that happens here. I haven't seen it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Ahwell

I get it, but the optics shouldn't really come into it. It's became apparent recently that a poster can rack up an extraordinary number of warnings in a thread without being threadbanned. Why? Is this an optics thing? Trying to appease the posters shouting "mod bias"? If so, it is not going to work. These people will never accept that it's their own behaviour is getting them into bother, not the moderation.

I'm just guessing here, I have no idea what goes on behind the scenes but I just don't get how someone can get so many warnings in a thread and still be allowed to post on it. It just adds to how much of a shitshow some threads are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

It may be only be a perception of another poster following other posters around. But in those cases the poster should definitely report them and if the mod doesn't agree just ignore them. Hitting the ignore button is easy and everyone is capable of doing that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,213 ✭✭✭suvigirl

'Moderation here is open and visible. Posters have the opportunity to dispute warnings and bans.

The user base here I believe have no entitlement to know how, why etc decisions are made. Yet the mods, admins etc are very open and accessible.'

While I appreciate that for the 'offender' moderation may be open, to the poster who reports posts, be they personally abusive or just plain trolling, there is no openness. If you see posters continually behaving in a goading fashion, downright lying or being purely argumentative on a personal level, then you see them continue to post in the same manner, it appears there has been no mod intervention.

I have seen a couple of mods who edit a post & state it has a warning, but I know this is probably very time consuming. It does help to see what posts are sanctioned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,398 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I think a quick PM to users who report a lot of posts that don't require moderation action would be easier than having to edit post that does given the shortage of moderators. Not everything that might annoy or offend me might be against the charter.

While a mod edit gives a clear example of what isn't appropriate, it might not be a realistic expectation in a busy forum.

A warning on thread would show that a particular post was an issue, for whatever reason. I understand the can't do the yellow and red card thing anymore. But some feedback on thread would surely assist posters? I understand it may be too time consuming

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

Something is needed, anything would be a start, but it needs to be more than 'We're fine, you're not' that we've seen on two threads now.

100%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,370 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

"This is a free discussion forum run largely by volunteers. Moderation here is open and visible. Posters have the opportunity to dispute warnings and bans."

Maybe this is how you run things. But it's not the user experience elsewhere. I have some experience as a user/ a customer if you like of what's called Dispute Resolution. I followed guidelines to a T. But as far as I'm concerned there was zero evidence of any review of the actual issue, the moderator involved could not admit a mistake and by way of defence was simply rude, the moderator reviewing this offered no explanation either, nor the Admin, both of the latter by the way should have recused themselves as active posters on political and economic matters and who have disagreed with in the past. It was the complete opposite of openness, the attitude was take it or leave it.

No . Not talking about the two posters discussing the topic. I think you know I didn't say that tell me how.

A poster that posts on a thread solely to make snie remarks about another is goading and trolling .

"Now, if Poster B appears in a thread and their first and only posts are deriding Poster A, then it's different. But I genuinely don't know if that happens here. I haven't seen it."

This .

You don't see it if it doesn't pertain to you maybe but it is obvious to the person being trolled straight away .

It has happened a few days ago with two other posters and only became clear what was happening when a mod intervened .

Might make a few comments to cover their tracks but essentially always gets a dig in , or continues an old argument .. unprovoked.

That is what I am talking about and to name that poster or call it out to defend oneself can get a warning .

You are saying less intervention , but sometimes the only way to get poster like this off your back is to report .

As for ignoring , yes .

But then that post and poster can still carry on with that behaviour unabated . That isn't right either .

Posters who consistently troll a person or deride them need to be stood up to , called out and mods should take on board context if that gets a warning .

I am not promoting being uncivil but its a very fine line when one is up against repeated trolling and frustrating if its not dealt with .

There are posters on boards on all sides who have changed their names to get away from this behaviour .

Saying we are all mature adults who should be able to handle ourselves is fine .

In the real world if somebody was saying sxxx about you you have recourse . In the world of social media you are more reliant on the rules and the enforcers of those rules to protect against trolling stalking and online bullying .

Do we want a site where only the thick skinned or the trolls prevail ?

Edited to correct mistakes .

Post edited by Goldengirl on

Agree with most of this . Except why should the contentious threads not be included in the " fun on Boards" ?

Some people are interested in DIY and TV , but also politics and current affairs .

Should we not expect to be able to post happily everywhere on the site ?

This is what I would like addressed .

Boards needs to threadban and siteban persistent offenders for hate and trolling on any side of the political spectrum .

No whinging on DRP .. three strikes for serious issues and you' re out . Ba.. bye .

It needs a shift (back) in attitude from a lot of people if it's to be anything like it once was. It's not going to happen though. So moderation will need to change to combat that.

And that won't be well received either

Clarity is missing from everything boards wise right now.

The rules of the site are not clear.

Most of the forums individual charters are not clear, or visible.

Who moderates what is not clear.

What boards.ie's mission is, is not clear.

I'm relieved to see you acknowledging we need to shift back. I agree. It was a great, positive place that did an awful lot of good in the "Real World"™ to boot.

As for people not receiving the new moderation well, I believe the phrase, "our house party, our rules" is apt.

The rules just need to be clear.

Honestly, I have no idea how much a site like boards costs to run. There's what, two employees at the moment? Wasn't there 5 or 6 AND a city centre office at the height of it?

The voluntary subscription fees should be brought back.

Merch could be sold. (I had a boards mug once!)

There has to be ways to make money to keep the site going. It's got a huge community behind it, and with work, I think it could be steered away from the iceberg it's on a collision course with.

It needs to be first owned by people that, well to be blunt, give a sh!t about it. It's a long way from a server or two set up under someone's bed that was the very quintessence of a passion project, it just seems to be an acquisition in a corner for some money interest now.

• Advertisement

Thanks BBoC not just for your contributions ,@ Spear too , but for your decent attitide .

I get the distinct impress when you say in the other post ...

"The user base here I believe have no entitlement to know how, why etc decisions are made"

with I believe in italics says that is the party line .

Where is that coming from because that is the nub of it, really ?

Either this is still a community where users are included in its evolution or it is just a clickbait excercise like so many other notable social media sites .

Sites that many posting here do not wish to be a part of , and would hope that boards is not going down that road .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,346 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

I thought the notion of boards turning into stormfront had been consigned to dustbin of history some time ago.

It was mentioned that mods and cmods have been part of the posting community here over the years and that's a positive thing for the most part. You yourself tend to get extremely heated in your engagements on political topics to the point where your own behaviour goes beyond simply being uncivil.

I found myself thread banned from a thread a few months ago for replying to people piling on me on thread, one of which was you, I went to Dispute Resolution to try and resolve it and ended up with you reviewing it for me, I understand there aren't limitless resources to attend to those dispute resolution threads but that was a massive conflict of interest to have someone who was ridiculing me in the thread subsequently reviewing my ban.

I don't believe you should be silenced from speaking your mind but as you are so entrenched in your views it's a big stretch to say you should be in a position to regulate other people's behaviour particularly when you are routinely curt with other posters on thread.

The idea that you feel boards is becoming stormfront is perplexing in the extreme. That statement implies that boards is openly encouraging hate speech and everyone knows that isn't the case and you as a category moderator should have more insight into that obvious truth than anyone.

At this point anyone moderating forums like CA should probably temper their engagement on thread and try to get a handle on clarifying the rules to all present.

I've seen some posts edited by big bag of chips in CA today informing users that a post received a warning which is a really positive step in the right direction. Continuing with that approach should be of benefit to how people interact with each other and hopefully dissuade some of the wild West elements where people feel there is no over sight until a post appears telling everyone a user has received a thread ban.

Post edited by nullzero on

I've seen some posts edited by big bag of chips in CA today informing users that a post received a warning which is a really positive step in the right direction

Should have never left vBulletin that functionality was automated

Couldn't agree more. Either close the CA and Politics parts of the site or change the entire moderation team. Far too many with axes to grind as you instance, trying to run with the hare and then hunt with the hounds. Moderation first & foremost should aim to protect the site from legal jeopardy. Once that base is covered, moderators need to be firstly well informed and up to date with the topics under discussion. After that they need to stick to the basic principles of the site charter, they need to be aware of and leave their own biases out, be polite, even handed and transparent. Finally thread bans should expire after a set period for posters with a set history, say six months or 500 posts or something like that.

I found myself thread banned from a thread a few months ago for replying to people piling on me onto hread, one of which was you

I'm not going to spend tonight going back and forth with you the same as I did last night. But several people responding to you on a discussion board is not 'piling onto you'.

I'm 90% sure you responded to my first post on the thread that was deleted mid-week with something along the lines of 'Right on queue, here come the same voices……..'

If I'm right, and it was you, was that not you responding to a post with reference to the poster and their posting style? Maybe I'm wrong, maybe it wasn't you, but if it was then surely this constant reference to 'piling on to you' just by responding to you is something you should have a think about.

Current affairs and politics are two of the most popular areas of Boards. If you close them, you may as well shut the site. I don't think there are any easy answers apart from mods being posted to monitor contentious threads instead of relying on posts being reported. A swift cop on can do a lot to keep a thread civil and can prevent people being railroaded by cabals which does happen on occasion. I appreciate it may not always be possible, but even if it was known that it sometimes occurs would likely keep some of the sharper trolls in line.

Moderators should be part of the boards community, and be free to post as ordinary posters.

They should be supported by the other posters. We are adults, we don't need 'parenting ' a bit of guidance as to what is/isn't allowed, visible warnings on threads and no tolerance for abuse of mods. There might be more willing to volunteer.

Well there's no point in having them, if as we increasingly see, they are influenced by a cabal of activists who are in broad synchronicity with moderators. When you reach the stage where the ordinary everyday views of middle ground Irish citizens are being suppressed, there's no point. This part of the site then becomes an irrelevant echo chamber, with an occasional flurry from re reg posters or those who make the error of trying to engage.

We're mostly aware of the current government & establishment tactic of painting ordinary Irish citizens as 'right wing' in order to suppress negative commentary and protest against state actions and policies. These parts of boards have become a mirror of this.

Those threads are still standing though, and people are still posting their opinions. There are definitely a few baiting posters but they can be called out or ignored as long as people stay within site rules. I would prefer if mods where actively monitoring a thread as individual posts often seem fine at first glance, but people active in the thread will often recognise it as repeatedly bringing up points already addressed etc. I'd rather deal with shite trolling and be able to post my opinion than have no where to post or read about issues of the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,196 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Out of curiosity @Tell me how what is your definition of piling on

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement