Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People who constantly curse

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,268 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,233 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

The thread shows that cursing can be a sign of intelligence and the attaintment of a high level of language education. But I would need to see your evidence about those people who self police their profanity. And how that is linked to their repressed nature in other areas of life. Could you find the source where you read about that, and link it here?

There's cursing and there's cursing. Also swearing, profanity, expletives, bad language, obscenities, foul mouths, and blasphemy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭Shoog

I would genuinely love to - but it was a passing article/paper from a few years ago so without a hook to search on its very unlikely I can re-find it.

This is sort of the thrust of it;

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/swearing-study-intelligent-intelligence-university-of-rochester-a7916516.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

I think a lot of Irish people swear unconsciously - I used to be one of them.

Until I started working with more people from other countries and noticed very quickly that they don't do it. And are a bit shocked when the Irish do! So I made a conscious effort to try and retrain myself and clean it up a bit. Now, I'm no angel, and do still swear a bit, but not anything like I used to. But it took a conscious effort on my part.

I happened to catch an episode of "Kin" on TV the other night, and the level of the swearing in it was really awful. But I have encountered people who do talk like that. I turned it off, as I kept flinching at the cursing. It really does sound horrible.

• Advertisement

The evidence says that swearing is a natural part of language and everyone does it - the real difference between people is how they control their language. In a life or death situation everyone swears.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Reminds me of those smokers who would complain if their children / relatives starting smoking. Dickheads.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Suit of Wolves

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭thereiver

I don't like people who curse. I also don't like people who post on forums who use the words fffing c word ,is it really necessary .I thinks it's understandable to curse if you are really stressed out eg say you get a parking ticket after going into a shop for 5 minutes.

I think it's incredibly rude to curse at someone at work you are there 5 days a week there's no excuse to curse at a coworker it's just rude and ignorant and you should at least try to be polite to people at work

If you don't know it causes offence then you are simply ignorant

I think using the c word on a forum is an insult to women did we not learn anything since the 90s it's ironic to use bad language on a thread about people cursing

I don't mind either way, and I think I curse a bit to much. Funny thing is when I curse casually people tend to mirror me and up their curse rate to match.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Kurwa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,718 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Some c*nts obviously live very privileged lives if this sht is all they have to fuking worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Norrie Rugger Head

So we can call people Dicks, knobs, cocks, dickhead, or Langer but can't say (unt?

Nah, that's misandry so

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 104 ✭✭baxterooneydoody

I work for an American woman from time to time and it took a long time for her to understand our use of the word cnut, it's the ultimate insult to call someone that in America. She brought it up one day about our overuse of it thinking we were actually insulting each other or talking about someone we didn't like but I told her how it can be used as an expression of endearment as well as an expression of hatred

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

I was brought up to believe that cursing is gutter language, only used by those who were uneducated in good manners. In fact I actually reached well into my 60's before I even heard some of the words many are referring to here. I once worked with someone who cursed all the time, and she didn't seem to have many other words to create a whole sentence. I personally don't mind if anyone uses the odd swear word in my presence but I do object to being blasted with nothing else except swearing. Throughout my life the men in my family never cursed in front of women. I find now that men and women of all ages will swear everywhere and anywhere. If parents prevent their children from cursing, but curse themselves, this is sending conflicting messages. It's not appropriate all the time.

The way you were brought up sounds like a load of sht to be honest.

A load of stuck fuks walking around thinking they are better than everyone else and instilling this snobbery in their children because they didn't curse around women like the "gutter people" did.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Daisy78

It’s one of the things I hate about this country. Even occasional swearing I find a turn off. It’s particularly embarrassing when you are in the company of people who are not from here. I cannot understand why anyone would think it is in any way endearing or intelligent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,867 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

I've never heard anyone suggest swearing is endearing or intelligent. It's just a habit and part of language. Who decided in the first place that certain words are offensive? I personally don't swear at work for example because I can't but on my days off i can speak how I want with my friends as being able to speak freely is part of my time away from work. None of my friends are insulted by how I speak because they speak the same way. It's nobodys business how I speak unlees they're listening on my conversation which to me is rude. It's just words.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,841 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I hate the C word with a passion and never use it. Geebag, however, is one of the best, most descriptive insults ever.

I actually don't find Irish people are big users of the C bomb. That person's American boss lady has clearly never spent any time with Australians if she thinks we use it a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,865 ✭✭✭Greyfox

The fact is as an adverb the f word can be a really fantastic word that's better than the alternative. Like others have said though it's all about how it's used. A work colleague calling you a f***ing ar**hole is disgusting and deserves to be punished. But if a man is harassing a woman and she tells the man to f**k off that of course is more than fair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,605 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

It’s not meant to be endearing or intelligent it’s just part of our vernacular. We are not the only country who curses.

Back when I was living in France, working in the office at a large worldwide multinational intergovernmental organisation and ‘putain’ and ‘merde’ were commonly expressed during the working day.

One of the most guilty was an approximately 27 year old female, very attractive, intelligent, kind, thoughtful , sound as fûck, a bit dramatic, impeccably dressed and very expressive…she was heard exclaiming at times… “ ohh mon dieu, putain de merde….! “…compared to most others she ..well she had the mouth of a sailor, yet a heart of gold… she was brilliant. 😅

my parents hate cursing, but I think are a little conditioned now by its prevalence in modern society…..it just wasn’t the done thing at home growing up in good catholic Ireland in the 50’s/60’s… certainly not ‘fúck’ anyway….

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Norrie Rugger Head

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

None of the stuff I am reading here is Cursing. It is just Bad Language.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,378 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I'm not offended by the word cúnt, I rather like it in fact. The hard T sound at the end makes it a perfect word to convey annoyance. It's remarkably adaptable too.

Stub your toe? - that cůnting table

Someone acting aggressively? - cùntish behaviour

It's also quiet normal for people to stay each other by calling someone a cūnt. It's very rarely used with the intention of actually insulting pr offending anyone. Same as bollix/bollocks, they're not used as an offront to men. Actually, "ya cűnting bollocks" is only said to friends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,424 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Cúnt can even be used as a verb. Here we have Nick Love and Danny Dyer addressing, with lots of swearing, criticism of their film Outlaw. At 3:20 we learn that "Taxi Driver got Cúnted" 😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,209 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

I (female) don't get the outrage over the c word.

I grew up in rural Ireland and it's a farmer's favourite curse word. They don't use it as any sort of degradation to women. It's just another swear word.

I also hate the double standards of people who say that that particular word is a slight on women but will happily call men wánkêrs, tössers, d¹ck heads!

And while I'm on my rant..the double standards about making personal jokes about male private parts but female private parts are sacrosanct for jokes.

Eg- I've seen men who have had vasectomies being subjected to jokey comments by both male and female yet can you imagine the same jokes directed at a woman after a hysterectomy?

Or the ogling and free banter around male genitalia (think of the recent athletes in tight shorts and the bulge comments)

There would be media uproar if there were posts online about Simone Biles' camel toe for example.

So yea, for me the c word is just another swear word with no connotations.

To thine own self be true

You misinterpreted my post. It was not about anyone being better than anyone else. It was about good manners. I wasn't brought up in a wealthy, university educated family, quite the opposite, but we were taught good manners which are available to everyone if they chose it. Obviously you do not. I accept we live in different worlds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,334 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Sometimes the C word is the only appropriate word

Why is it good manners to not curse specifically around women ?

Are they fragile little petals who's brains will explode or something.

You "were brought up to believe cursing was gutter language" so I call bullsht on ye not thinking ye were better than everyone else. You talk of people "uneducated in good manners". Maybe stop calling good and bad manners but instead different manners. Many people who curse are very mannerly people.

• Advertisement

Advertisement