Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Olympic Games Paris 2024 - AH Thread [Thread banned posters listed in first post.]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭hahashake

Yes, you would think so. At time of posting they hadn't won the omnium cycling gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,589 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Close to certain but it's a French team they face in the final medal game of the Olympics so you'd just never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Field east

I watched the full race and I just felt that the baton receiver on two of the exchanges was not going ‘near full pelt’ when receiving the baton. If my memory serves me right they were ‘half looking back’ to make sure that things were going ok rather than having the receiving hand back and looking straight forward while nearly full pelt. I felt that there was the equivalent of a slight hesitation in two of the baton exchanges. I wonder if it is on utube or equivalent.
    Please do not think that I am trying to blame anyone here, - all 4 performed out of their skin and to the VERY BEST of their abilities on the day- I am just curious on a VERY TECHNICAL matter

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭hahashake

Duplicate

Post edited by hahashake at

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭Melodeon

Never thought I'd see a haka in a velodrome!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

2072? I'll probably be dead by then.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Timmy Time! USA vs France for gold should be a good finish to this.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 34,385 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

New Zealand with 20 medals. That's absolutely immense.

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭Westernview

Most of the rest of us too including Byrne. Pure genius setting a deadline for after you're dead. Removes the need for a lot of hard work and responsibility.

Incredible, and well spread out too. 5 track cycling, 4 rowing, 4 canoe, 2 athletics, 2 sailing and one each in golf, rugby sevens and triathlon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,079 ✭✭✭G1032

Didn't know this until I saw your post. Ridiculous. Ya, rules are rules etc, but 4s outside the allowed window for appeal. That's a hollow medal for Romania. It's no way to win a medal.

I really hope the USA win the medal table. If it was anybody else besides China as their competition I would be shouting for France.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

Ugh, already feeling the post olympics misery. They could do with spreading it out over a month or longer rather than squeezing it all into 2 weeks… The thought of heading into the autumn with absolutely nothing on. Hopefully the US election will take my mind off it.

For any RTE fundamentalists, it's time to ditch them. Their coverage was awful compared to the iPlayer. Thankfully my work laptop has a UK VPN built into it but would definitely buy a month of VPN in future. 2 streams from 7am to 11pm, a really good player that you can watch back over anything, skip forward/back 20 seconds. No stone unturned, very little analysis/ad breaks. Don't know how I'm going to get the screen burn of Derval O'Rourke's skull off my television from having RTE on..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

It's on Eurosport channel on YouTube.

Don't go near the RTE player. It's a disaster. You'll be watching ads for an eternity.

I'm not knowledgeable enough to opinionate. Maybe someone else can input.

It's difficult to be critical when they ran so well. GB and NL ran NRs and we were just behind them. France in 5th ran a NR also.

France and GB are traditionally strong in 400m.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,486 ✭✭✭✭walshb

anyone else really excited for 2072?

People that like RTE and it's coverage aren't 'fundamentalists' just because you don't want to watch it. Your reference to Derval is very disrespectful. She represented her country with class which is more than can be said for your comment.

Thats the thirteenth Olympics I remember, I remember seeing parts of it in '74 but I didn't really understand things. 1976 I remember clearly with Nadia Comaneci probably being the star of the games.

Lasse Viren winning the 5000 and 10000 were the standouts for me in the Athletics because my dad loved him.

I hope I get to see another seven, I'd be happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

I think it's clear from my comment that I also watch RTE. Was communicating to those who are fans of Olympics but don't watch anything outside of RTE, that there are far better options, unfortunately…

As for the Derval comment - this is After Hours boards, not Whirlpool Maternity forums. She's been overanalysing athletics for over a decade now. It's time for RTE to freshen up the stagnant formula

• Registered Users Posts: 7,582 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Ah i dont know. The PL season starts next week so that will take the sting out if it. The majority of olympic sports wont be watched for another 4 years.

Back in the day they had Tony O'Donoghue and Jimmy Magee as the commentators, no one talking bull. Bill O'Herlihy was the main man in the studio and he was brilliant and the experts on each area were all good.

How times have changed. I only watched RTE when there were Irish competitors on who weren't on other channels. The only good ones in the studio that I seen were the boxing guys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

I knew what to expect in advance and stuck to EUROSPORT. From what I did see and read about their coverage I was vindicated. Between crap pundits, commentators & incessant ad breaks, it’s a wonder that anyone would think they were a success

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭weadick

Bill is really missed. Don't forget Jerry Kiernan in athletics and Gary O'Toole in the swimming. Both excellent analysts.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,780 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

I didn't watch the competition, but I was reading an article last night about the photos of the Olympics that will be remembered. It was of Biles hugging Chiles after she won her first individual Olympic medal.

That's devastating for her.

Another photo that featured was of Britain's Bryony Page after winning gold for the women's trampoline final in gymnastics.

I couldn't help thinking of Macaulay Culkin in Home Alone when he applied after shave to his face. She even looks a little like him.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,548 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

US basketball coach has the look of a "Jesus guns babies" type Republican politician about her.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

From an Irish Perspective Rhys winning gold the highlight for me. Of all our athletes after what happened to him in Tokyo I was really hoping he'd at least perform to his level and get a medal at least. Amazing mental strength to get Gold. Outside of Irish moments, Pinnock reversing a 40 second deficit after getting a puncture to win Gold, Hocker shocking everyone with an OR to win the 1500, Duplantis breaking the WR with his last attempt and the finish in the Women's marathon probably the moments of the Olympics for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,486 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Moments of games: Marchand winning two golds in two hours at 200 fly and breast and that 1500 metres track final for men!!

And of course, has to be pathetic moment of the games: Lyles coming out like superman and leaving like a cripple in the 200

• Registered Users Posts: 26,548 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

USA surely have the refs bribed in the basketball.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

or the refs are looking for top jobs in the states

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

There's loads to be fair, Alford winning the 100m her countries first medal, the closest finish ever in the men's 100m, the men's 400m final, The Cuban winning his 5th Gold at 41 years old, Bol last leg in the mixed relay final

• Advertisement

Making obnoxious comments about Dervla has nothing to do with after hours forums. It's an ignorant comment any time of the day. She won't be ditched anytime soon thankfully as she offers a lot more insight into athletics than her childish critics.

Advertisement