Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Olympic Games Paris 2024 - AH Thread [Thread banned posters listed in first post.]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,794 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Moment of the Games for me aside from Irish stuff was the Pakistani Javelin thrower Arshad Nadeem breaking the Olympic Record. I can’t get the throw out of my head.

Low point like others mentioned above is Noah Lyles’ actions post 200m race.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,780 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Talk about luck for USA with those 2 points. It follows a dodgy decision by the officials in favour of USA.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,153 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Damn good thread folks, nice to share the 16 days with ye.

except for these 2 on the naughty step… what clowns get banned from an Olympics thread.

ciao

• Registered Users Posts: 17,780 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

That was an awful move by France. About 30 seconds left in the match, shot clock running down, 3 points down and didn't even get a proper shot off.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,486 ✭✭✭✭walshb

my god!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,936 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

• Registered Users Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

The women's 4x400m final is definitely the moment for me.

It's rare I'm so emotionally invested in a sporting event.

Beyond that Hocker's win was amazing to see live.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Ah France so close in the basketball. Her foot just on the line makes it a 2 pointer. USA by a single point. USA top the medal table by the skin of their teeth

• Registered Users Posts: 14,222 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Oh that’s why it was only a 2 , I thought France had snatched a draw

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭dasdog

NZ stat is nuts - our's not too shabby either.

• Advertisement

Has to be said NZ and Australia are phenomenal sporting nations. Win in a variety of things too. Netherlands will be very happy with their Olympics as will the hosts France, Britain will be happy with total medals but a lack of Gold this time around, Jamaica had a bit of a disaster this year as well. Uzbekistan an absolute powerhouse in the combat sports but if there's no boxing in LA it's probably the best Olympics they'll ever have.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Luxie

Grandfather I believe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

British secretly won’t be happy. Worst gold medal return in 20 odd years. They really bigged up a lot of their chances. One track gold and one velodrome gold are crap returns

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

These tables really irk me for some reason. For one, which seems obvious to me would be to include each countries GDP in the data set

No individual gold in swimming either. Been a poor return from them in the major sports. Only one bronze in boxing too is a very bad return. In fairness they had a few near misses like Kerr and Smith, they threw away another rowing Gold as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,582 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Agree on the brits. A lot of their medals came in lesser sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,420 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I would concur with that. Never seen a throw like it. Also loved Hocker and Hall winning on the line, especially the latter given the angry face run he made.

Lyles needs a kick up the hole. At least Usain backed up his confidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,252 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

4x400 women’s relay will live in the memory. Great games, detox is gonna be hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Randycove

shame St Lucia isn’t shown, they’re return must be incredible.

Uzbekis are known to bribe boxing judges.

Does anyone know why Jamaica did so poorly?

Was it just a blip or was the Bolt's generation a golden one?

Or have the testers caught up with them?

Or is it a multitude of factors?

• Advertisement

Bolt was confident but had the charisma to make himself likeable. Lyle's just comes across as an arrogant Richard and a very sore loser. Had to make it all about himself and took a moment away from a young man who just won his countries first Gold Medal. Have to say overall brilliant Olympics, France can feel very proud the backdrop for many events was incredible, best Olympics since London for me, nice to get to watch so much of it live as well.

I didn't watch every fight but I watched all SF and Finals, none of their medalist were the recipients of a lucky decision. They all deserved to win their fights.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,220 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The Brits are still dining out on the investment from London 2012, and fair play, they are still getting some return on that, particularly in the facilities and funded training centres of excellence, but it is ebbing away.

London 2012: 29 Gold, 18 Silver, 18 Bronze

Paris 2024: 14 Gold, 22 Silver, 29 Bronze

Same number of medals, considerably less value overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,079 ✭✭✭G1032

1500 Men's Final for me was the highlight of the games from an excitement point of view but I don't think I'll ever forget the reaction of the Italian girl when she won the Gymnastics Beam. Don't think I've ever been as happy for someone I'd never heard of before!! Outside of that, the men's mountain bike race was fantastic. As was Alfred's win in the 100m and the men's 10,000m race was also brilliant. The mixed triathlon relay was truly gripping from start to finish and Keely Hodgkinson's win was amazing. Watching Olympics since '88 and I have enjoyed this year's more than any other. What a magic 2 weeks. If the Irish girls had managed a bronze last night it would have been the icing on the cake.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,957 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

This sounds like good news - talk of increased funding for the elite athletes and for coaching too

• Registered Users Posts: 56,486 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Paris for atmosphere and intensity was one best games ever

I really hope we can build on this, we should really target a few key sports like Rowing, Cycling and Swimming. Would like to see a real push for field events. Looking at the medals it's an area not dominated by genetic factors. Australia, NZ, Japan, Pakistan, India, Sweden, Greece etc all winning medals including Golds. No point targeting sprint events or the 10000m.

Funding LOI academies is a no brainer for me.

We should study other countries like NZ, Australia, GB and see what works for us.

I still think grassroots and schools are the key but high performance is important also.

If you view it as a pyramid, the base of the pyramid is local clubs and primary schools and the tip of the pyramid is the Olympics. Without a strong base, you've nothing.

It probably needs a root and branch review of everything such as PE in primary school, drop out rates in teen years, encouraging adults back into sport, coaching coaches, paying full time coaches and games development officers etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Sigma101

True. All the more reason why stats like these are pretty meaningless for smaller nations. When an exceptional athlete like Alfred comes along the stats get completely skewed.

I see also that the population of the Republic of Ireland is used there although Team Ireland represents a larger population than that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,548 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

The French taking the podium in the men's BMX race and Benjamin Thomas winning the Omnium were my non Irish highlights. The atmosphere for both was just insane. The crowds outside the Sacre Coeur deserve a mention too.

Off the top of my head I can't remember witnessing any really historic moments.

Advertisement