Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Olympic Games Paris 2024 - AH Thread [Thread banned posters listed in first post.]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,964 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

An interesting snippet on soccer is that there is talk of Sarah Keane - the hugely successful president of the OCI - moving over to the FAI, as her term with the OCI ends soon. The rumour mill says she is interested.

Coaching would be a big one for me. Fund them to the max and keep all the good ones in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,221 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Its about time the penny dropped with some politicians that investment=performances=feel good factor=pride=happier populace=votes.

There is no downside to shovelling huge money into sport.

But a little bit of that money should ensure that P.E. is available to all schools, up to Leaving Cert, twice a week before Junior Cert, and that all schools have a group insurance to protect all kids running and jumping in every setting.

Then that every town above above 5,000 people has a 25 metre public pool, that every town over 10,000 has a public running track and indoor and outdoor multisport venue, prioritised for schools and community sports clubs. And eventually that every town over 50,000 has a 50 metre pool, outdoor and indoor tracks and velodrome, and upper end multisports complexes of the kind only seen in the cities and universities thus far.

In Olympic disciplines, our lodestar should be New Zealand.

Their 5.1 million population to our 7.2 million just produced 10 Golds, 7 Silvers and 3 Bronzes. An almost unbelievable return.

And I don't want to hear the GAA argument, the Kiwis play Rugby Union and Cricket to every bit as much a cult level as we play GAA sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

If you count the population in NI then you have to count the medals NI athletes won for GB, so it probably balances out.

GDP is actually a big factor also.

Lots of African countries have never won a medal although I'm sure they've loads of athletes with world class potential. Congo has a population of over 100m but no medals.

Botswana on the other hand has a population of 2.5m and medals a bit but they've a high GDP (for an African country) and are stable and well governed.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

This might interest some of ye. Nothing too shocking but it breaks down some of the differences between the haves and the have nots.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,389 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

The Swedish Pole Vaulter and Naser breaking WR in weightlifting were two outstanding moments for me.

All 7 medals Ireland got were great but for Rhys to get his highest ever score and do it in that pressure environment just gets nod as best for Irish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

More likely Ff/FG/Greens looking at the US/China stats and using the gold per capita to import 1.5 billion people

That'll shift us up the medal table.

Fai would hardly get her. It's FAI after all. They don't get the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Sigma101

I said Team Ireland represents a larger population than the Republic of Ireland. This is a fact and not a political argument. The fact that some NI athletes compete with the British team is irrelevant to the point I was making and doesn't 'balance out' anything.

It's not just GAA though. We play soccer in huge numbers and have a significant number playing rugby. Much like with the church and schools/hospitals it was too easy for previous governments to let them do all the work.

We have been a wealthy country for 30 years now though so old excuses don't hold up anymore and I think people want to see infrastructure to match this sustained wealth.

• Advertisement

You said it in relation to medals per capita.

If we count NI population in calculating our medals per capita, then we should count medals by NI athletes on Team GB.

It's got nothing to do with politics. It's just arithmetic.

And yes it does balance it out.

Agree with some of this but it's a bit over the top regarding facilities.

We don't need that many 50m pools.

Probably one per city would be loads.

I agree about multi sport facilities though.

For example Louth GAA are building a new stadium in Dundalk. They couldn't share with the LOI team!?

Facilities are expensive so we should use them as much as possible. Do Limerick and Galway really need 3 stadiums for 3 different sports? They're empty most of the time.

I still think the key is grassroots, local clubs, primary schools.

I think Adeleke was in school sports and beat all the boys and then was encouraged to join an athletics club aged 11. (I'm open to correction on this).

I bet there's loads of talent out there slipping through the net.

We do have certain advantages like a youngish growing population and also a decent sized immigrant population.

We do have decent sports infrastructure already and good spread of clubs and whatnot also. So it's not like we're starting from scratch but more like we need to get more professional and organized.

GAA and Soccer are definitely not an excuse but definitely they scoop up all the kids and often people don't have time for any other sports, so it does impact it negatively in that way. Basketball and rugby do also but to less of an extent.

I played GAA, soccer and basketball so I wasn't going to do any other sports than those but I guess if I felt I had actual talent in something, I might've switched.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Getting venal old gits and nepotism out of sporting bodies pays dividends.

🙈🙉🙊

I think John Delaney set Irish soccer back decades.

Multi sport stadiums have for the most part turned out to be a mistake. Even shared stadiums for teams of the same sport have usually failed.

Generally it becomes an atmosphere black hole or a financial burden on the smaller team and also affects the revenue generating abilities of all teams.

Limerick doesn't have 3 stadiums either. It has 2 and a field with a little stand. Hurling, rugby and soccer have vastly different requirements in terms of stadia and Limerick FC playing in Thomond Park was hated by the fans.

If we are looking at facilities then those mostly association funded stadia are not the problem. It's the lack of modern running tracks, velodromes and pools are the problem. And the fact there is no equipment or obligation for a PE teacher to try kids out at track & field events.

By the way only the 5 cities in Ireland have a higher than 50,000 population so you are agreeing with the previous poster.

Definitely running tracks aren't good for atmosphere in soccer stadiums but they're still prevalent.

I agree about track and field being non existent in schools or at least it was in my school.

I guess if they could promote the schools athletics championships the same way as GAA and rugby is, it would encourage schools to take it more seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

It has to start from the bottom up, first moves should be to provide better equipment and place a greater importance on PE in schools. Make it possible for kids to get exposure and try lots of different sports. Fund things like coaches going into schools to teach different sports. A lot of kids will only ever try certain sports if they have family involved in it or have a teacher with a particular passion for it.

I was referring to you saying that soccer, rugby and GAA should share. Running tracks are really not that prevalent anymore outside of national stadia.

We don't really need running tracks with big stands or whatever anyway. We just need running tracks full stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

Ahhh I thought I had seen the last of Laura Kenny and that nasally noise that leaves her mouth

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

You're right, my comments are very obnoxious and Derval's analysis is second to none.

Just a pity most people don't give two sh1ts about opinion and just want to watch the events.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

So if you happen to run into a kiwi on your holidays, the chances are they'll have an olympic medal?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭megadodge

As a former relay runner (4x100m) on a team that were obsessive about baton changes, I feel I can give a valid opinion.

The problem you refer to is caused by the fact that the runner giving the baton is no longer going at full pelt, unlike in the 100m equivalent. They are at the end of the 400m, which is an exhausting run and they're just about hanging on. If the receiver was to go when the giver 'hit the mark' (as in the 4x100) the receiver, being fresh and full of oats, would probably burst away and never be caught by the giver.

Then there's also the matter of there being no lanes in effect after the first change. Whoever is leading gets the inside lane and 2nd to their immediate right, etc. This can lead to some argy, bargy and bodily contact.

The Irish changes were fine for a 4x400m.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭archfi

My favourite moments were the USA's Hocker (1500m) and Hall (400m)winning their track finals and NL's Bol winning the mixed relay final. Obviously all of Ireland's successes and near misses.

I thought speed climbing was really great, Taekwondo was boring as fúck, Boxing administration needs to be seriously looked at for once and for all, 'breaking' was utterly embarrassing and whoever managed to swindle that in as an Olympic sport should be shot with balls of their own shíte. I wouldn't mind if tennis, golf and soccer was ditched either. And hockey. 😀

PS I don't want to hear anyone ever whinging about Paris being a dump either - well, if you stick to the old historic Paris anyway, that is beautiful.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭klr87

The point about China prioritising winning medals above all else is very well made. The Chinese absolutely dominate diving, having won 55 golds, including 23 out of a possible 28 in the synchronised events since they were introduced in 2000. China won all 8 diving golds in Paris. If diving events were not limited to two competitors per nation (one pair for each synchronised event), then other countries might as well not bother to turn up. We should probably avoid devoting serious resources to any sport that the Chinese dominate. China won 3 golds and 2 silvers in the 6 women's boxing events in Paris … just saying 🤐

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭Seadin

Similar population to Ireland too and they done away better than us. They could use the excuse that rugby is their main sport like we say Gaa is to ours.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,265 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Apart from the Irish medals, one of the great contests of this games was the mens team table tennis semi final between Japan & Sweden. Played across 5 matches - 1 doubles and 4 singles games, the Swedes looked dead. They lost the doubles and the Japanese No1 beat the Swedish No1 in the first singles. But then this Swedish fella called K2, looking slightly overweight and ranked 62 managed to beat the Jap lad, ranked 16. The Swedish No1 won the next and it was 2-2. So all rested on the last match with the Japanese No1 easily going 2up in the last singles. It looked done & dusted but the Swedish lad came back and played out of his skin to win the next three and the Swedes went through 3-2. Great match of ups & downs.

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭Westernview

You said you use the vpn option to avoid the analysis and yet you feel the need to s**t on the analysts and those that enjoy watching it. Sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭archfi

I love me a French chanson

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Expunge

Theres a bleed from what sounds like Spanish commentary on RTE from the Stad de France.

It has been happening on and off during the games.

It seems to be happening again tonight.

Anyone else notice it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭klr87

Finland won no medals at all … zero … zilch … nada. That's the first time this has ever happened to Finland in either a summer or winter Olympics.

Advertisement