Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vice President Kamala Harris vs Donald Trump 2024

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,929 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,167 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Yes. Squirms between "I was raised by my stepmom" and his remarks Kamala is a childless cat lady (she's a stepmomala)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

A lot of states in the US, including MN, do not have full-time state level representatives.There are a lot of merits to this, IMO, such as politicians who live and work in their communities, and prioritizing only important stuff in the time they are together. Officially the MN legislature meets for about six months every odd numbered year in January, though normally they show up for a few months the even numbered years as well. MN's legislature has been out of session for months and will not reconvene until January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,656 ✭✭✭✭Water John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭thatsdaft

Up and to the right

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Harris is leading in the polls and you are saying that the under 40's are under represented in those polls. If that's true then the polls are under reporting the true extent of a Harris lead because U40's vote strongly Democrat.

Long ways to go. would like to see that stretch out.

Exactly. That was the point I was making, and which I clarified to the newest addition to my ignore list.

I don't think she's evens with Trump. I think we are looking at a landslide for Harris.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

The Walz thing has legs, it's actually been a topic for decades, it seems.

Ty has an interesting video up. Due to the complexity of the problem, there isn't really a TLDW version, especially for civilians. I still disagree with some of his conclusions (If Walz should be negatively blamed for dropping out of the Guard), but I have changed my mind on some other issues (that his colleagues felt that he should be, and that he should not be claiming to CSM rank). I do not know which position has the majority opinion in the military community.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,575 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

the version i heard was that he went to his boss's boss and asked to retire but knowing that deployment orders had been issued so the guy he actually reported to would have unlikely agreed, does that sum it up?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,045 ✭✭✭Christy42

They weight the polls if they can't get a representative sample of some groups. So if they can only get a few 20-40 year olds they won't eub in more 60+ year olds. They will just make the responses they do get count for more. Whether they do this perfectly to match up voting patterns is up for debate. Similarly if Trump supporting 20-40 year olds are more likely to answer the phone.

However they do account for the basics in cases like this is what I am saying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,865 ✭✭✭Shoog

Interesting.

It's certainly not a good look for Waltz, sort of smoothing over the rough edges of your CV.

Not sure it will have much impact with the voters though, maybe with the veterans. However I don't think Vance can be using his military career as a vantage point to attack Waltz.

Post edited by Shoog on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,548 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 548 ✭✭✭RickBlaine

Trump is old enough to be Walz's father.

Hour long podcast interview from the other week with Walz ICYMI

Walz is a hella refreshing guy, here talking about not just his policy but putting him in the shoes of his neighbors who he would describe as Trump/Walz voters, people who wanted the outsider and the entertainment etc., making it clear it's not they who are weird but Trump is a weird guy who never laughs etc., and giving an autopsy to the Democratic party about why it has struggled against Trumpism and fallen into the spirals it has through acknowledging the party's shortcomings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Virgil°

Just to point out the hypocrisy of the media and those that "both sides" 🙄 or actually support Trump. In his recent interview with reporters at Mar-a-Lago, Trump was asked if he would instruct the FDA to revoke access to mifepristone the abortion drug. It was a simple yes or no. But his answer was:

"Sure, you could, you could do things that … would supplement, absolutely, And those things are pretty open and humane. But you have to be able to have a vote, and all I want to do is give everyone a vote. The votes are taking place right now as we speak".

Not only is that not an answer. It's barely even English. This is the exact thing that caused the blowback that led to Bidens eventual stepping down. But no such call from Republicans or his supporters? And no reporters following up and shredding him for this absolutely fever dream of a reply. He also seemed to be have an awful lot of trouble hearing the reporters who couldn't have been more than 15 feet away from him. So not only is he seemingly going deaf he's also approaching the same levels of senility as Biden.

Obviously hypocrisy is no issue for Trumps hardcore fans. But any both sides or undecideds really have no excuse anymore.

https://www.vox.com/politics/366495/trump-medication-abortion-mifepristone

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,615 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

JD Vance accuses Democrats of 'schoolyard bullying' for calling him weird.

https://edition.cnn.com/2024/08/10/politics/video/jd-vance-weird-tim-walz-kamala-harris-bash-sotu-digvid

I have to give JD credit: keeping a straight face while accussing your opponents of 'schoolyard bullying' when your running mate is Donald Trump is definitely not something I'd ever be able to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,865 ✭✭✭Shoog

Nothing unexpected there, but shows a clear intent to act in an underhand and secretive manner.

Hammer home Project 2025 - it will sure as hell sink Trump.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

I reckon campaigns are lost or won on lesser issues than this one - a lot of low paid workers in America and traditionally Democrat voters but reckon many have been knobled by Trumpisms in recent years - yes the whole system needs overhaul but thats one for term 2 when you don’t have an election to lose anymore - she just needs to be careful around what she’s promising and how she’s promising it - I feel it’s walking into a Republican trap myself - maybe “less is more” is the way to go here

It's the playbook: demand impeccable standards of everyone else and none for themselves. Conservatism 101's definition (aka. Wilhoit's Law) applied to behavioral norms and standards of behavior: 'I'm allowed to bully you but you're not allowed to bully me'

• Advertisement

Sad, weird old man: him and ex-convict Dinesh D'something believe her crowd was photoshop lol

The vast majority of these videos — 23 in all, totaling more than 14 hours of content — were provided to ProPublica and Documented by a person who had access to them.

Seems some people did exactly what Project 2025 was hoping to do, but in the inverse, and to Project 2025 itself: sign up for their organization and wreck it from the inside, in this case with leaks.

Even if they were marginally successful rolling out Project 2025 I don't believe there would be an easy time for them trying to figure out who were the type of people they were actually hoping to hire on for the project, and what people were coy enough to say the right things to their ludicrous loyalty tests etc. but who have no intention of making the project successful, and indeed may seek to sabotage it for the unamerican fascist filth that it is.

He's got a real preoccupation with size, this guy. He's like a walking chapter out of Freud's Casebook.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,502 ✭✭✭valoren

Just wait until some start saying the crowds are AI generated.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Help me understand this stuff.

My current understanding is the following.

Regarding the deployment, Walz would have had to submit his retirement request several months in advance of his actual retirement date. He retired in May '05 so probably submitted the request in maybe February or perhaps even earlier. His group didn't get their initial orders until July of '05 and didn't actually deploy until Sept/Oct.

That doesn't seem like "avoiding" anything, certainly not specifically. I guess most military at that time would have had a notion that they might get called up, but Walz couldn't have had specific knowledge when he submitted his papers.

As for the rank thing, again my understaning is that in the National Guard they would have promoted someone to a given rank even though they might not have every box ticked in terms of certifications etc. , on the understanding that they'd get things sorted in short order.

Despite being in the role of CSM for a while, because Walz had not completed all those outstanding certs his pension was set at his last "complete" level which was the rank below.

That does not mean that he wasn't a CSM or that CSM wasn't his last official rank prior to retirement.

Again this seems like something of a manufactured issue.

Am I wrong?

I'm curious how much AI crap they've been cooking up to release in October.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

It's a terrible look for Walz.But I doubt it will make any difference with voters as I think people have made up their minds already but it does show him up quite badly as a person.

Trying to claim you fought in a war when you haven't is a completely scummy thing to do and shows that the apparently normal guy routine with him isn't quite true and he's just as sleazy and cynical as every other politician.

Since Trump is an empty policy vessel, this by default is his policy. Project 2025 operatives will flood back into any administration of his, having come originally from his first admin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

I watched some of the Vance CNN interview and he really comes off as unlikeable. He reminds me of DeSantis/Homelander very disingenuous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭swampgas

I have to wonder if Trump is struggling to get back out on stage at public events. The big open platform has been where he has appeared most at home, but coming within millimeters of oblivion from out of nowhere, with no warning, must have affected him. I imagine he isn't very well equipped mentally to deal with it, and I very much doubt he will take any advice either.

It will be interesting to see just how much (if at all) his behaviour is affected over the rest of the campaign.

Advertisement