Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skylark - Portmarnock

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭SimpleDimple

I’m pretty sure there is. Recent house for sale in St Marnocks Bay listed that there was one and it’s the same development

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭bilbot79

Really. I bought in the estate and don't pay one.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭SimpleDimple

lol fair enough I can’t argue with that :-) I could have sworn I saw an ad and it listed a management fee, but you have first hand experience so I’d listen to you

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭KLF

In most cases, until a development is fully finished and the management company is up and running then the developer is acting as the management company, in some cases they don't make an effort to collect a management fee until it's handed it over to said management company. If you check your purchasing contract you can see if there is a yearly management fee.

Had a look at contract there and no mention of a management fee. Never came up locally with the neighbours either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 chicharito12

before signing the contracts I asked the estate agents agent if there was a management fee and they said there wasn't!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Wonder188

Hi everyone,

Thank you all for the valuable insights! We are considering taking the plunge and purchasing one of the last houses in phase two. However, we're a bit hesitant as we're not very familiar with the Portmarnock area and originally had our sights set on the south of Dublin. We've walked around the area but are unsure about how we feel regarding it.

So, our first question is: How do you like living in Skylark and the surrounding area? What are the hidden costs associated with the houses, apart from the flooring that we'll need to replace? How are the houses generally?

The price tag is quite steep, so we're slightly worried that we might not like it or that the property value could drop, especially with the airport close by and the proximity to the DART track (noise if any).

Looking forward to hearing your insights and advice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭easygoing39

Could you hear the trains while you were stood in the estate???? Same question regarding the plane's overhead?? Why do you think the value will drop when the country is in the middle of a housing crisis?? Very hard to take your questions seriously really.

That was only part of our concern and the questions we raised. When we visited, we didn't hear the planes while inside the house, but we did notice them outdoors. Regarding the DART track, we were quite a distance away, so it was hard to judge. From what we gather, the new houses being sold are closer to the tracks than the existing ones…

We're just trying to gather as much information as possible before making a decision :) I dont think its silly to ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 MArk2486

Portmarnock and the surrounding area is one of the main reasons for buying in Skylark in my view - the place is very well connected, beautiful and has lots of great amenities. The flip side of being well connected is the Train line and the Airport, both of which are really handy but of course come with noise, but really it's not a dealbreaker - nowhere is perfect. If noise sensitivity is an issue, probably best to look elsewhere, especially with the price point.

Hidden costs? Well they are new builds, so you need to buy all furniture, flooring, blinds and washer/dryers etc. Generally they are really well made and cheap to run, warm all year round. A lot of them have large high pitched attics that can be converted too.

Pricing - the price point has increased since the last few phases, so that's a good thing. Most areas on train lines etc will hold their value.

Hope that helps - feel free to PM me here if you want anything else

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭antimatterx

I don't live in Portmarnock but looking at buying. Fwiw, I live in the flight path and beside a train track. Yes you hear it, but you don't notice it if that makes sense.

Thanks @MArk2486 :) Might PM !

No, we get that :) We know we will be fine … at least with the planes! The dart tracks, we need to understand better how close we will be and hear it to put mind at peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 veronikanick

We also were told that there is no management fee and it wasn’t mentioned in the contract ☺️

Our house is close to railway (regarding the map) and we are worrying a bit about it, but I joke that it couldn’t be worse than a plane noise so … lol

The only thing I’m concerned about is the completion date, hope they will be ready to move in at least in the end of the winter 🥲

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Portmarnock22

What road are you on and can let you know, we are recent enough so could potentially help if near by.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Portmarnock22

Congrats :)

Had a look where it is, its not too far from us (where we don't hear the train at all) however you are closer so not 100% certain

Cool! Thanks for help :)

Anyway, I decided that if we don't hear the plane noise at show house so it will be impossible to hear the train noise, hope I'm right 😅

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,422 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Demand for housing has been a godsend for those developers. Small houses on small footprints with big price tags. These phases are quite a reduced footprint when compared to the earlier phases that preceded them.

Cool! We actually didn't have the possibility to choose a location of the house, we liked the planning and it wasn't a lot of options (everything was booked very fast). But I definitely see the advantages of this road.

• Advertisement

When I'm in the playground with my little one I don't find the train louder than the plane overhead so I wouldnt say this should really be an issue.

Portmarnock is a lovely area to live. I'm always happy about it and have no regrets. Every where in Dublin is on the high side now and faces the same risk of price drops.

Hidden costs Id say maybe some fees for annual heat pump servicing, the floors, a water tap out the back and someday will look at replacing the patio with something better quality. Creche fees are high here too.

Some things in Centra are way too expensive but the wine and beer is always a good price 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Centra is always a rip off, there's a lidl in walking distance though which is handy, and a Dunnes on the other end of Portmarnock.

Tbh with all the developments, a third supermarket wouldn't go a miss. I think that's the case for most developments on the north side, if there's no more supermarkets built, there will be alot more empty shelves.

Baldoyle has had huge development in recent years and there are plans for alot more, there is only one lidl. Howth is getting another 700 units and doesn't have a supermarket.

The dart as well will get even more congested.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 battiato

Is there a plan to open more commercial places around St Marnocks? Right now it is only Centra and the Pharmacy, but I believe it was suppose to be more around the building.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Tazium

Here’s a little view of the current progress through the build.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 chicharito12

Thanks this is cool to see. Has anyone who bought for the phase planned to be ready in Q1 '25 got any indication whether that is likely to be early or late Q1?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 ChicoCannon

I am in one of the previous Skylark phases and we do not have a management fee, never had. It was something I asked about very early on as I believe The Links across the road does. Maybe there is something in the apartments, but not in the existing houses in Skylark.

Thanks for confirming!. We asked also the agents and told us the same, no management fee, council will take care.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭Pipmae

This is amazing thank you. I'm buying in a future phase and it's great to see the progress.

We bought on that phase, no indication really. The developer's solicitor just said that they are planning to deliver those on Q1 25 but that can get delayed (more like a legal clause than any prediction really).

• Advertisement

Also: I've recently received that a new (and last) phase is launching soon. Does anyone have details of it?

Advertisement