Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit return scheme (recycling) - Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Incorrect. The price of the product on shelf includes the cost of the packaging.

This is primary school stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,228 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

There was an increase in the price of the containers, from zero Cents to 15 Cents or 25 Cents. No price increase was applied to the liquid in the containers in connection to DRS. The exceptional thing about DRS is that it allows the customer to get back the 15 or 25 Cents. Because the vendors want to get the containers returned. Unfortunately they do not operate this system for the liquid. That is yours to keep.

The DRS people have rules making the vendors show the 15 and 25 Cents as separate charges on all shelf displays and on all receipts. So it is clear to shoppers that they are paying for two separate products, the container and the liquid inside. But again they have to provide facilities for customers to claim back their 15 or 25 Cents. Once that is done, the customer is back the price increase in the container expenditure becomes Zero again.

A shorter explanation would be to say it is a refundable Deposit not a Price Increase. But you cannot understand that concept, so I hope the longer version gets through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,310 ✭✭✭✭elperello

While you're at it can you explain where the 15/25 cent comes from to reimburse the customer when they return the container in your proposed scheme ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭bog master

It is a price increase, albeit one that can be negated by following the process. One purchased product and container prior to DRS. NOW, one is in essence renting the container and can receive the money charged for the container. If I buy a bottle of water and wish to retain the bottle to refill or use at home or whatever I am paying for that.

And prior to the DRS scheme, did you, or did you not, get to keep the *container?

*container is part of the product price

Yes or No?

If a 4 pack of coke costs 6 euro before DRS, 6 euro is the price of the PRODUCT.

Product = container/packaging + content

If, after DRS, the price of the product is 6 euro 60 cent, the PRODUCT price has increased by 60 cent.

6 euro now only covers the cost of the contents, but no longer the cost of the product.

• Advertisement

Retailers and producers make up the majority of the board of directors! Whatever decisions are made are going to be in their best interests. I would ask why is there not a consumer advocate on the board????

The Polluters are paying for the system, so I expect they had a big input in making the rules. Dunnes Stores have made an extra rule in their shops, vouchers cannot be used when buying textiles. I remember when Lottery scratch cards came out first prizes could only be claimed where the card was bought. I expect the scheme will develop in the way that other schemes abroad did.

https://www.dunnesstoresgrocery.com/sm/delivery/rsid/258/drs-terms-and-conditions

As you mentioned earlier today, you have been going round and round with this nonsense for months. I can play the game if you want.

The public is also paying for the scheme. With the type of scheme being implemented (supposedly) by so many countries why do we need for the scheme to "develop" in time?

Refer back to schemes started in Australia in the last few years. They have done various changes post launch. And the schemes in Germany and Norway going for decades would not have offered refunds by electronic fund transfer at the start. Our scheme can make changes in future.

• Advertisement

No game to play, just simple mathmatics.

As I have said before, i dont oppose the scheme in principal, but it could have been more honest with people about the pricing increase, or, preferably, built the cost of the deposit into the original product price, which was the fair thing to do.

Your 4 pack of DRS coke is still 6 euro, but your final cost is only 5.40, once you return the part of the product that costs 60 cent and is (and always was) included in your purchase price.

And simple English. Do you understand the concept of a refundable deposit?

So, why are not ReTurn monitoring developments in other countries and implementing them with this dearth of information from other countries? They have not even considered certain aspects contained in the Repak submission to the Department in 2020.

I understand it, yes.

I can't explain the price increase any more clearly though, sorry.

Maybe somone else can have a go.

The Mininster said he wanted to launch the scheme in time, citing the repeated delays in other countries. He may have had the nations of the United Kingdom in mind. We are on a EU agreed schedule, and are ahead of other members like Portugal and Poland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,342 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Absurd comparison.

How would you expect schemes from decades ago with tech from that period could have supported electronic payments when first introduced?

Can you explain how that would have worked? Well?

And if you cant explain it will be prood it is utterly disingenous nonsense.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

That has nothing to do with aspects noted in the submission in 2020 that he ignored and thus far has failed to even comment on, other than kerbside collectors claiming they are at a loss due to mainly loss of aluminium in recycle bins. That loss was highlighted and a primary school pupil can understand loss of an income stream= higher price or reduction in service.

Then the industry can use their primary school sums to explain it to the politicians who say they need the evidence. Apparently they use very complicated mathematics to disguise their charges.

Let's not give our politicians to much credit for understanding finance now 😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,635 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Again, this is pure nonsense. DRS has seen significant increases on the base prices of drinks since the scheme came on. Lucozade Zero went from 2.00 to 2.20. I used to buy a few bottles a week. Finished that now. Others have pointed out that multipacks have increased per unit cost since the scheme came in.

My own bin company increased prices in the last 8 weeks. Tens of thousands of people use this company.

All this PR spin and nonsense 'engagement with X and y' 'report any issues to return' only figures being published completely out of context is your money gone into a marketing and PR budget that I daresay would have greatly improved use of existing facilities were it put towards educating people!

Spent an hour today trying to find a working machine. Three shops tried, no go. Brought the bags back home. Significant diesel burned.

I can.

Your proposal is short by 60 cent.

Who is going to pay that 60 cent so that you can get it ?

God loves a trier so they say.So once again,,, Has anyone completed a manual return yet????????????????????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,040 ✭✭✭jj880

@Boggles what you think now?

Soda water has come down in price slightly so that means nothing else has increased in price to fund up front costs of RVMs. They dont need electricity either. They run on green party promises.

No-one needs to know anything about total unclaimed deposits. None of our business.

CEO Foley says all we need are public bin surrounds so we can give our deposit to someone else if we want to. Lovely.

Apart from that Re-Turn is all good /thread 🤣

Have to keep up these unclaimed deposits, after all it pays the ReTurn wages! Would be nice to know how much of these record breaking collectibles have actually been recycled?

Product cost 6 euro. Cans cost 60 cent. Pay 6 euro for product, return the cans and therefore your deposit and you have paid 5.40 for the content, not the product.

Just as you did before the scheme.

Thats my last go, if you dont get it, you dont get it, sorry.

I understand your point, but previously you purchased contents and container. You could use the container as you wished. Now, you must purchase the container (if you wish to keep it) so you are now paying for contents plus .15 or .25 for the container, that is a price increase if keeping the container, NOT a price increase if you sort, clean and return it.

I can't understand with all the research into this scheme, public consultation, trips to other countries to see how they did it, why we have ended up in a starting position where it appears as if nothing has been learned from schemes prior to this one. People are disillusioned with the scheme in it's current guise and most people are only engaging because they have to, but the people who never engaged with recycling in the first place aren't doing it with this scheme either, not surprisingly.

You haven't explained where the 60 cent will come from to pay you when you return the cans.

It's not that I don't get it, the truth is nobody can get it.

• Advertisement

But why wasn't this set up right from the start? Can that be answered?

Advertisement