Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Simon Harris death threat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,281 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I'm incredibly anti censorship and as much as the hate speech bill makes me uncomfortable, do you not think something needs to be done? At the moment online agitators are running absolutely riot, look what's happening in the north and in the UK. We've people making online threats to heads of state within our own country.

Further afield, you've Musk on twitter basically calling for civil war in Europe. Bots and god knows what brainwashing the 'lesser educated' on Facebook to the point of believing insane conspiracy theories.

Again, I am 100% for internet freedom, but I do think some kind of repercussions need to be put in place to stem all this craziness and stupidity. What form that takes though, I could not tell you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,342 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

The taoiseach doesnt deal in quick solutions. He could announce plans to build a new prison. He could approve a pay increase for the gardai. There is any number of things he could do, none of them over night solutions.

You dont need to read between the lines. I thought it was pretty obvious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,844 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

You want the Taoiseach to announce a pay increase immediately for garda. What then might happen to the rest of the public service bodies included in the pay agreement that the garda have then exited?

Again you want an immediate declaration of a prison, with no site selected, no permission requested, no successful tender completed. And which has not even been costed in the most recent budget.

Which seems like an empty promise to me.

So the Taoiseach should make empty promises about prisons and break up the public service pay agreement.

FIH mate that is a mad suggestion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Come now, I would think there have been and will be numerous critical comments on social media concerning politicians. They range across policies to personality and so on. It's part of the modern political landscape and ignored by politicians. I take the time to write to local TDs and you just never get an answer from them if you raise objections to policy they promote. It's just blanked out.

This particular case in hand is surely no different, what differentiates it is that it's being used as a part of a campaign to limit certain types of criticism. We should always look at things in the round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,349 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Are you suggesting that there is no.difference between citisicing government and issuing death threats against the Taoiseach?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,766 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Were an open democracy with a broad spectrum of policial parties and beliefs. It's absolutely outrageous that someone would target him or his family like this.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,342 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

Oh fukkit I give up. One minute people are attacking me for suggesting something should happen and the next people are attacking me for what could happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,043 ✭✭✭circadian

Master of the Universe

Do you usually send death threats to your local TDs and their families?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

Now I'm not ascribing these views to Furze99 specifically but todays right wing loons have some funny views.

One minute they're all about free speech. The next they want to burn libraries and ban books with transgender references.

When you speak with them, don't be expecting any kind of coherent ideology.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭StormForce13

You are, one assumes, dimly aware of how (i) the public service pay negotiation process and (ii) the compilation of the public capital programme both work? If not, wouldn't it have been more sensible of you to have done a tiny bit of research instead of opting to reveal your ignorance to your readership?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,391 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

It IS different.

And no we SHOULDN'T look at things in the round.

If people make threats, there is no telling if they are idle. Look at the Holly Willoughby situation. I don't actually believe that fat loser was any threat to her, really, but he went all in on being an absolute psycho online, and he suffers the consequences.

Same too for that fool who threatened the Sinn Féin leader online recently. Never believed he would be caught, and yet the Guards had him in custody within a day or two. Bet that shook him.

You deal with cowards with maximum prejudice. You call their bluff. You arrest them and put them in front of a Judge immediately.

Do you think those 4 or 5 English rioters from earlier in the week, who have already been sent down for a 5 year stretch knew what hit them? No, they didn't. Their heads are still spinning.

You deal with this stuff with a sledge hammer and you make an example of the fools that imagine the law of the land doesn't apply to them.

If not, you get anarchy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭prunudo

And the same people will say Trump brought it on himself with his rhetoric, yet can't see that our politicians feed discourse here as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,610 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Unmitigated cobblers, not even on a nodding basis with reality.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,610 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Vlad too.

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement

Well isn't that interesting - showing true colours? What do you want - a police state. No thank you. I'm a libertarian.

As regards politicians and people in general, if you can't stand the heat in the kitchen, then get out.

Master of the Universe

So do you think people should be able to issue death threats to politicians and their families with impunity? Where is the line drawing when it comes to 'the heat'?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,430 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Well while we are here why don't you get out from behind the keyboard and step into the kitchen ?

There is an election coming up, if you are an adult you are free to run in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,037 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

That's easy to say in the abstract. When you mention the heat in the kitchen, do you feel it's acceptable that a politican should be harassed while out shopping. How about being subjected to vile abuse while stuck in traffic by a member of the public. How would you feel if someone was doing that to you? Would you deem it acceptable. Would you be weak minded for objecting?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Another prisoner phoning in bomb threats.

The guy who did it to McEntee got two years added to his sentence.

I am not sure how much more than that can be done. We all have access to phones and the Samaritans helpline. You only need one loony.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Ionraice

Whereas I would never condone anyone making death threats, or subjecting anyone to harrassment, I do believe the question needs to be asked:

Why the sudden escalation in verbal abuse/threats?

There is no question in my mind that many people are dissatisfied with the government/politicians in general…

Housing, health, cost of living,education (lack of school places/ types of school, etc.)

The financial crash affected many people very badly, yet, we didn't see this type of reaction.

So, is it possible that, instead of labelling everyone who disagrees with a political parties policies, as "far right", "thugs", or whatever the current nom de jour happens to be, just maybe, politicians need to take a hard look at their policies, and actually listen to what the people they are elected to serve actually want them to do, as opposed to applying labels, and threatening people with hate speech laws?

When politicians resort to labelling those who PEACEFULLY disagree with them, and ignoring genuine concerns, are we perhaps wandering away from the very foundations of democracy, and moving rather rapidly towards autocracy instead?

Again, I do not condone death threats, but, pointing to local election results where, lets be honest, every governing party lost seats, as being indicative of a satisfied electorate, is plainly not entirely accurate.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

And yet the parties of Government have a collective ~48% share in the latest polling putting them on track to be returned for another term in Office (albeit likely the greens being replaced by perhaps Labour or the SD's)

The losses in the local elections were to Independents , very very few of whom were expressing anything significantly far-right.

There are absolutely things that need to be done better regarding immigration, housing and healthcare - But listening to ANYONE involved in any of the ridiculous behaviour in recent times is categorically not the pathway to making them better.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Ionraice

I'd certainly agree that threatening to kill anyone is categorically not the way to go.

But, equally, I don't believe any politician - irrespective of which party they represent, should be labelling the public as "far right" because they have legitimate concerns, and I vehemently disagree with the proposed hate speech bill.

The public mood was displyed very clearly in the results of the referenda. Almost every politician completely misread the room, and, I fear, are likely to do so again, based on the local election results.

The public displayed a previously unthinkable willingness to vote for far right candidates, at least some of whom were best described as lacking in intellect, and more than a few were downright obnoxious, to put it mildly.

Personally, I couldnt bring myself to vote for the local right wing candidate, but, I was fortunate enough to have a decent choice of candidates who were neither right wing, FF, FG, Greens, or SF. (And, yes, my chosen candidates were elected).

Independents - even previously unknown Independents - did very well, as did 100% redress.

Add all those up, and theres a sizeable chunk of the electorate who are clearly unhappy.

Do politicians really believe that doubling down on their policies, against the (in some cases, very clear) wishes of the electorate, while simultaneously applying unflattering labels to those they are meant to represent, is going to result in either increased support, or, at best, allow the status quo to continue?

Because, if so, they're even further removed from the public mood than I suspected..

In this climate, it is reprehensible, but not surprising, that some people feel emboldened/ desperate enough to make threats.

Hopefully, no one will act on those threats, but, if politicians continue on their current path, I am genuinely concerned that widespread anarchy will be the result

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,238 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Why the sudden escalation in verbal abuse/threats?

There hasn’t been any sudden escalation in verbal abuse/threats. Politicians have always been subjected to verbal abuse/threats from scumbags.

When politicians resort to labelling those who PEACEFULLY disagree with them, and ignoring genuine concerns, are we perhaps wandering away from the very foundations of democracy, and moving rather rapidly towards autocracy instead?

Politicians haven’t resorted to labelling anyone who peacefully disagree with them, and they haven’t ignored genuine concerns either. I don’t blame them for ignoring scumbags, or labelling scumbags as such, or thugs, as Helen McEntee correctly describes them. That’s why we’ve managed to uphold democracy in spite of the efforts of scumbags to institute an autocratic regime by attempting to cause chaos in Irish society.

It's replies like this that show up the "I don't condone, but........" posts for exactly what they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,273 ✭✭✭Shoog

Harris is going to regret allowing fascist thugs to run unchecked across the country for the last five years. Knowing how the Garda operate they will have agents inbedded in these groups and will have a very good idea of who is behind the arson and intimidation. They will have let it fester to get some perceived political edge - but it's coming back to bite them.

I hope Harris is scared enough to actually do something about this thuggery now, but it maybe to late and we may have to see a serious assault before they take it seriously and put the resources into cracking down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

I think that the opinion polling and voting statistics are not telling the whole story. I believe that there are greater numbers either not engaging or actively disengaging from the democratic process. In the most recent local and european elections the incumbent parties spoke of their surprise that their vote share held up and how happy they were that they seemed to have received a positive endorsement from the voting public - note: just the voting public.

The problem, as I see it, is that the turnout was very disappointing on both platforms (local and european). If they think that just the number that vote are their main concern, I think they will be missing the point that there are increasing numbers that don't vote and get their news, opinions and direction from anti-social media.

The death threats come from the disaffected populace, not those that have voted for you. As a country, we need to address the increasing perception that politics isn't worth it and live streamed direct public protest action is the way to go.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Is this the famous "Silent Majority" again?

If they don't vote then nothing will change, screaming on the streets and then not voting changes absolutely nothing if change is indeed what they seek.

In a democracy the ballot box is how you achieve change, not by sending bomb threats and trying to burn down buildings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Who do you vote for exactly? No viable opposition party.

• Advertisement

If you don't vote then you don't get to change things.

What exactly do you get with Street protests and riots?

Marches etc. ONLY work if they are backed up at the ballot box

Think of the pensioners a few years ago. They marched to show the support levels they had, but the threat was their vote, not setting stuff on fire.

They got what they wanted.

These guys will not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

My point is…. they have disengaged from the democratic process. That aspect can not be ignored by those who believe in the process. We can not continue to count the cast votes in isolation and ignore what may be an increasing level of dissent. As 'the troubles' in the North have taught us, solutions have to be inclusive, otherwise we could have a long road of a dysfunctional and possibly violent society ahead. This state was born out of violent uprising and civil war.

I agree that change must come through the ballot box, but we may not like the direction of that change if we ignore the issues that are causing the disengagement. Extremism is on the rise, here and elsewhere in the world - street protest, violence and death threats are a factor of that process. There has to be a greater level of acceptance of the issue and a willingness to address it, apart from simply telling people who now believe that democracy is direct action powered, to get out and vote. Maybe if they think that their views are being considered, they might not ever engage with the ballot box, but they might stop rioting and sending death threats.

Let's suppose a politician is out shopping and two constituents approach them separately:

1. one offers their support for policies that this politician pursues or their work etc
    2. the second is critical of policies that this politician pursues or their work etc

Is one better than the other? Should the politician welcome the golden glow of affirmation from the first, whilst decrying the second as unwanted harassment??

This is at the nub of it. Harris is famously the TikTok Taoiseach - you live by the sword, you die by the sword.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭jo187

IInteresting Assumption that they are one social welfare

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,037 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Any well adjusted adult should be able to take constructive criticism.

With this in mind I am sure politicians are used to receiving criticism while out canvassing.

What isn't acceptable is being bad mannered and generally abusive and someone actually being harassed ,which some politicians have complained about experiencing.

This cannot be excused on the basis that they are in the public eye therefore fair game for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,619 ✭✭✭✭elperello

If they are out shopping you just say hello and leave them alone.

Everyone is entitled to some downtime.

But the democratic process is the one we have in place.

You vote for candidates who then form a government to represent on behalf of the outcome of the election.

The thing about candidates and parties is that they have to hold views on a range of issues, and thus it's rare that any one party or candidate will have policies that an individual fully agrees with.

A voter has to decide which candidate or party most closely alligns with their views.

Do you suggest a different form of democracy ?

One that includes parties or candidates that very few vote for ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,094 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Do we think if this guy is found guilty, he'll be made an example of, to try to nip all these ott protests in the bud?

Like the guys in the UK last week, handed 2.5yrs for throwing some punches at the cops.

Politicians deal with critical people daily, I have seen many politicians dealing with all types of people.

What they should never have to deal with are threats to themselves and/or their families, or harassment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

No they got what they wanted because of the threat of the withdrawal of their vote and through PEACEFUL protest .

The two together get results .

. If they had just sat at home giving out it would not have achieved the desired result .

Personally I believe any assaults on any emergency services/frontline personnel, should carry a mandatory prison sentence.

Deleted

That's exactly my point. The peaceful marches were a way of showing the level of their support.

But the weapon used was the threat of what they would do at the ballot box.

A peaceful protest not underpinned by the threat of the use of voting power won't get any real traction, violent protests will get none at all

To vote for who. If you were not voting sinn fein ,the greens, ff or fg. Who would you vote for???? Explain? Im really curious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

You can vote for whichever parties you choose.

• Advertisement

Oh goodie. The same as always with same results. Lets see the blowholes called sinn fein. The social experiment party called the greens. Or the 2 cheaks of the same arse looking after big business called ff and fg. The options are so juicy and delicious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Which party would you like to see as an option?

A party that concerns itself with the country and its people. Not absorbed into its own ideals or outside influence would be a start. Any suggestions outside our current lot?

Definitely the only thing iv agreed with you on suv girl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭SupaCat95

The army are not the Guards and the Guards are not the army. The army have no understanding of the law. They might look the similar jobs to you but are completely different. Saying that it is true retired soldiers can make great coppers in the UK and the states, its been found.

You never want to see soldiers out of barracks.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement