Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit return scheme (recycling) - Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭bog master

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,228 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I haven't, and there are not many places to do it. In the sense of places without machines, but which store returns in the supplied bags for collection by the Re-Turn vehicles. There are no machines listed in the Cooley Peninsula in Co Louth. It struck me that the populations in places like Carlingford and Greenore would be making some noise if it was an issue for them.

Your best bet might be to try to do a manual return at a shop like Tesco or Dunnes to see what happens.

From Re-Turn press release 01 August:

In line with the growing adoption of the Scheme, the Re-turn network of Deposit Return Points has grown by more than 870. There are now over 2,500 Reverse Vending Machines and 323 manual return points nationwide.

Manual returns seemed to be very important to the Minister in his promo spots. I tried in the 1 listed in my rural town and…….

There are a few disillusioned types here all right, but the citizens who don't even know this thread exists are bringing back 3 million containers a day. You are in early with the stats about the people not engaging. Re-Turn want to wait until July next year to assess progress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,342 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The people on the Cooley peninsula ... ever think they might be shopping in Newry?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

As far as Dunnes or a Tesco, 58 miles away. No thanks

A lot of the stuff in Newry can't be sold to EU citizens. There are some shops in Cooley.

"This requirement is in effect from 1 October 2023. These requirements apply to all retail establishments in Northern Ireland. 

Food products that do not have an individual product label and have moved under NIRMS should have shelf-level labels with the words 'Not for EU '"

Why do you bother then? Seems like your audience are citizens who don't even know this thread exists.

Because you aren't convincing anyone here with with smoke and mirrors and deflections.

The illusions are being spun by Re-turn and the Green Party, hiding information on what % of items are actually being collected and recycled.

You were asked earlier on the thread what % did 3 million containers represent?
    No response.
    So to make claims about 'disillusioned types' when you have no answers to relevant questions is without foundation and without merit.

What % of the items collected are being recycled?
    No response.

Re-turn want to wait until July? I'm sure they would, I'm sure they'd like to dodge any real questions about the scheme and have their lapdogs in the media peddle their press releases without engaging their brains to dupe those not paying close attention.

The question about percentages makes no sense. Ten thousand containers bought in March could have come in today, and twenty thousand bought in June could come in tomorrow. Or in six months time. No container can ever be counted as not going to come back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭howiya

Along the lines of your question about how many items have been recycled I'm starting to think this scheme is being sold to us is greenwashing.

As an example the Dunnes Stores machines have "recycle your empty PET containers and cans here" written on them but essentially the machine is just a bin for collecting these. They aren't recycled "here".

• Advertisement

Oh come on-can't be sold to EU citizens? What ye smoking? Lived in Dundalk and have a son there now. They asking for ID or passports in Newry or Jonesborough? WTF

Vague nonsense. "A lot of stuff". A lot of stuff like what and how is that enforced in practice?

There are some shops in Cooley. There are no real supermarkets because they shop in Newry.

Are you seriously going to pretend that NIRMS is going to in practice impact people from the Republic going up to buy cans of coke?

There's posters on the thread who've bought soft drinks there, no issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,635 ✭✭✭✭kippy

But this is patently BS. You and others like you state that there are issues with the scheme and that the scheme will be improved because it's never been done anywhere else on the world before.

Fair enough.

But then you give Re Turn an absolute out when you say they are dead right to wait until next July to see where things are at.

How are they expected or supposed to make changes when they aren't going to review anything till next July?

I work with lots of people who dont know that this thread exists who are equally as disillusioned as many on here. Surely you know a few as well? Granted it's nots a riveting conversation but ask a few people you know from various environments what they think of the scheme?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭batistuta9

heard they're checking proof of residency in Asda now alright

They said it was to avoid confusion with the daily average of sales. Something like 5 million. But that is not equal over the months, with Christmas being a marked outlier. One year will iron out that.

Your answer makes no sense. Smoke and mirrors whenever real questions are asked of Re-turn.

Re-turn have budgeted for 90% of items being returned.
    So how can they ever claim that funding?
    How could they have ever come up with that figure?

How many items are being sold with deposits?

How many items are being returned?

Simple figures.

Of course they can come up with figures and percentages of total ins and outs.

What you are talking about has nothing to do with Re-turn products.

You'll have to do a helluva lot better than "It has something to do with Brexit I think" because it is obvious you don't know what you're talking about but somehow still feel the need to defend Re-turn.

This is how the Re-Turn people explain it. You can make up your own stats in the meantime.

Return rates

The Irish Scheme began on 1 February 2024. Retailers are still phasing out non-logo and non-deposit drinks containers on shelves until the end of the transition period, 31 May 2024. Therefore, Ireland will not have a full year of the scheme in action until 1 June 2025 to assess more accurate return metrics.

The assumption of an equal number of containers sold daily throughout the year, 5 million per day, doesn’t align with the actual sales pattern of drink containers. Peak periods, such as Christmas and the summer months, significantly impact sales. Additionally, this method fails to consider the volume of non-deposit stock sold by retailers during the transition period until 31 May 2024.

• Advertisement

Well said. As I have posted before, I am very pro recycling, doing it since early 80's, very Green but not necessarily of the party, hope to leave mother earth in a better place for my children and grandchildren. This scheme in my opinion does nothing but increase costs for people like me, pisses of people to no end and does little to address the problems, and seems to be set up to absolve politicians of any blame to reach RECYCLING targets NOT collection targets.

We are a small economy/island and may never get the recycling plants we need, but let's not pretend.

Many questions via numerous studies cast doubt on the whole Plastic recycling scenario, where perhaps we should be working on the reduction in plastics manufactured as opposed to the recycling.

I cannot imagine that ReTurn, with the composition of the board ever even discussing using less plastics in their products because it would likely come with increased costs and decreased profits.

My optimism for a greener Ireland is suffering.

Germany tried very hard to get people to adopt re-usable containers. But that met too much resistance, so they went for the machines and the deposit. I think they do about 17 billion a year. The claim is that keeping PET and aliminium out of the general recycling has great advantages when it comes to making new cans and bottles out of the material.

The industry is never going to set up a dedicated re-usable model just for the Irish drinks market. It is vague enough about where our stuff will be processed, but if it is abroad for the time being it will still be in the separated stream. The next item up from the Circular Economy legislation could be a charge on those paper coffee cups and similar. That should make you more optimistic.

You mention it is vague enough where it will be recycled. Load of bs, they harp on about collection rates yet rarely mention recycle rates and where. We incinerate 70% of plastics, what % is PET bottles I have not been able to find out. But it would piss me off if I pay a deposit, clean and sort the bottle, and then return it, to find out it has been put in the fire ffs!

You can make your point without the BS FFS nonsense.

Excuse me, not sure what you are referring to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,789 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

How can it be a price increase if there's no price increase if you follow the deposit return process?

Honestly, this is really basic primary school stuff, you're fighting with a cloud and losing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,743 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Nope, thats wrong. But your first sentence is correct.

If the full price of product (containers + contents) was 6 euro, any increase in the product price above 6 euro is a price increase.

You said it yourself, before the DRS, 6 euro got you the contents + the containers.

If the new DRS price is 6.60 and you do return your containers, your 6 euro now only paid for the contents.

6 euro for contents + containers (Product) > 6 euro for contents only.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Are people getting foked up hauling cans n bottles to these machines yet when ya have a perfectly good green bin 2m from your back door and paying increased cost for said service but can't use it to recycle said such materials due to more costs. Hilarious ,and getting grief in certain return trips. All good aint it. Ingenious plan 🤣for profit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,743 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

There is a price increase. Its been outlined numerous times.

Ask any accountant, they will probably explain it more clearly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,635 ✭✭✭✭kippy

So no changes to the scheme till next July at the earliest?

What about all of that money and time that went into preparing the scheme? Completely pointless by the looks of it. Lets just run a 1 year pilot scheme - which is essentially now what this current period is - do you agree?

I don't know why you are giving them an out - and continue to do so. Surely you can see that they have ZERO chance of getting near 90 percent collection rate by July next year. ZERO.

But no, lets drag it out, continue to p1ss people off, contine to LOSE people who would have used their recycle bin religiously prior to this scheme and continue to stick the head in the sand about how much of a scam this is!

Advertisement