Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Marrooned

another one missed due to the early start

I was at the Boro v Village match in St. John’s park yesterday, the Boro started at lightning pace and with 20 mins. Gone were 9 pts. Ahead thanks to 2 goals by Bill Sheehan. Then Buckley developed a hamstring problem and was replaced after that the Boro lost there way and led at halftime by 6 pts. The Village came back well in the second half and got within a point but the Boro came back and stretched it out to 3 pts. And won by 2pts. In the end I thought the ref was shocking and gave the village some soft frees which I thought should have been frees in . Anyway a win is a win. The Boro also lost Niall Rowe and Timmy Clifford’s flight from America was delayed so he didn’t make it either. Harry got man of the match.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭droppingball

Another good victory for Thomastown over the bridge, Thomastown the slightly hungrier team. Diarmuid Galway very good in goal and his puck outs and distribution were pin point whilst Jonjo Farrell and Luke Connellan hurled well out the field. Another strong showing from John Donnelly who ran the show again. Ciaran Brennan the best for the Bridge with around 1-3 or 1-4.

Tullaroan looked good also with a few players missing. They seem to have good fire power up front and have the zip back that they had two years ago. They have a nice balance to their team.

Lisdowney and Danesfort look the strongest in the intermediate. Des Dunne and Daire O Neill were strong in the backs and Anthony Ireland Wall and Paddy Hickey provided the scores, good won for them without Richie Hogan and Paul Murphy. Dunamaggin didn't look interested, they never raised a gallop at all. Even Andy Hickey, Denis Walsh and Joe Fitz didn't stand out.

I would imagine Thomastown, Tullaroan and O loughlins will be most satisfied in senior with Glenmore and Comer looking over their shoulder.

Intermediate it will be lisdowney and danesfort the happiest with concerns for Dunamaggin and Blacks and Whites

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭Village87

Senior looks the weakest it has been for a long time imo. OLG seem to be the strongest with other teams crucified with immigration and injuries. Tullaroan will realise they have a great chance to do something with others in trouble.

Intermediate it looks between 4/5 teams that can win it. Danesfort, Lisdowney, Tullogher, Gowran maybe Dunnamaggin if they can lift it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Hurlingtothebone

Dunnamaggin missing 8 players from team that played in intermediate semi final last year through injury and travelling. Difficult for them this year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭randd1

"Senior looks the weakest it has been for a long time imo"

I agree. Is it the talent, lack of skill or the way the game is being played though?

Honestly, hurling is still very exciting at times and well capable of delivering 60/70 minutes of top entertainment, but it's become a very stop/start sport with between 50/60 puckouts/sidelines and 30 frees (whether shots for goal or free outs) between the two sides a game. Throw in copious amounts of throwing which, while it keeps the ball moving, is cheating and we all know and see it and kind of shrug our shoulders at it.

I just think a lot of the contest is gone out of hurling, it's playing around teams rather than going to man on man, so many shots are got off easy enough these days. It's exciting, but feels at times more like a game of chess with sticks rather than full blooded contest, even if it has moments of real quality.

Personally, I think the throw is a cancer on the game of hurling. One thing is it's less about the individual and more about the system/possession game, and increasingly the possession game is built around the run and throw, which for me it means hurling seeing less and less of man to man contests, so lads aren't needing to use quick wrists and the hurl or their instincts as much as risk is taken out of much the game. I think the skill levels in general may be better when shown due to increased coaching underage, but certainly not applied anywhere near as much or as regular within games to the level they were even 10 years ago, and I think it's breeding a type of robotic players as opposed to the maverick or instinctive (like a HF turning backwards and throwing the ball to a midfielder to pot shot from 70 yards because it's the safe/coached thing to do, instead of pulling a bit of skill out of nothing turning the defender and popping it over himself or creating a goal chance).

Whatever about the rest of the country, I think think we need to pull a rabbit out of the hat in the county.

Personally, I'd love to see us make better use of the split season, and create a *ruthless county league independent of the championships, and have rules such as one that bans the hand-pass from the same hand forcing players to focus on quick hands and use of the stick, and hopefully force coaches to come up with different tactics than aping the current possession game to combat the stagnant coaching in the county.

*Format - 10 team divisions, round robin format. 3 up/3 down. Bottom 2 relegated, 3rd/4th bottom in relegations playoff. Top 4 of top division into League SF's. Top 2 of lower divisions into league final, 3rd/4th into promotion playoff.

Who are the 8? i know of Micheal Cody but didnt know it was 8

Gone travelling or working away

Michael Cody Andrew O Dwyer Luke Fitzpatrick Conor Hoban

Injured

Victor Costello Darren Fitzpatrick Andrew Fitzpatrick Shaun O Keeffe Adam Fitzpatrick hopefully some of them towards the end of the league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,570 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Shocks to be bottom.. ?

Very poor… Or is there anyone worse?

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭kentu

Blacks and Whites have been beaten comprehensively twice in their group. They've lost a few good backs so I think they would do very well to stay up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭jamesbond2022

Danesfort and lisdowney definetly favourites for intermediate wouldnt rule out gowran or tullougher going up either

Hard to know with relegation which ever team picks up the least injuries I think will stay up

From what I’ve seen so far o loughlins are clear favourites to win senior

Probaly comer and vegas will do well to avoid the drop

It is only the start of the league so a lot can change in a few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 40 lob it in

I agree with alot of this.I don't think throwing the ball is as prevalent at club level as it is at county although it is creeping in a bit.The throw ball in hurling only stated to become an issue in 2018 onwards because of Limerick,the three worst counties for throwing the ball are Limerick,Cork and Waterford and it's absolutely no coincidence that Donal Og ,Shane Dowling and Derek Mc grath are using their platforms on tv and in the media to encourage referees to ignore throw balls because the players" are just to skilful for them to see ,there's no skill in throwing a ball anybody can do that ,the skill was executing the hand pass properly.

Referees at intercounty level have ignored the throw ball for years now and it's descended into an absolute mess,if you were to be real technical about it the rule says that the ball must be released and struck with a CLEAR striking action therefore in my opinion the onus is on the player to show the referee he has clearly released the ball and struck it with the hand.If it's not CLEAR then a referee would be well within their rights to blow a free according to the rule.

Throwing the ball and steps takes the man to man and tackling out of the game which is exactly what Donal Og and his ilk want ,they want a non contact tippy tappy 38 points to 39 points game with no physicality or defending because that suits Cork style of hurling ,before the All Ireland final he was encouraging the referee to allow quick puckouts (not allowed by rule) because in the semi final this worked a treat for Cork as Limerick had no time to set and the referee on the day incorrectly allowed Cork the quick puckouts.Hurling at the highest level is decending into basketball with sticks.

The throw ball cannot be policed and the referees are not bothered with it since Thomas Walsh was called out for penalising 3 incorrect throws in the AI semi between Limerick and Cork. They looked blatant throws watching live but the slow motion clearly showed separation. Refs have all but given up on it since then, they are impossible to call.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭kksaints

I saw at least two frees for throw balls at the Junior B match in Inistioge last night. One was fairly clear, the other more questionable. So refs at a certain level are still calling for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭randd1

"but the slow motion clearly showed separation"

And that's what people will remember. Not why, or the speed it actually happened, or the lack of clear striking action in real time, or the hundreds of blatant throws. They'll remember the slow-mo and say "the refs are at fault".

I remember the VT done on The Sunday Game after the semi-finals, and to be perfectly honest I said to myself afterwards that RTE have no interest in balance or debate, and they're just pushing the let it throw agenda because the panellists are known enthusiasts of the possession/running game around which the throw depends.

First off, if you need to slow the movement down to a fraction of normal speed and zoom in, then it was not a clear striking action which is what the rules call for, so a ref not only has the right to call a free, he has the responsibility as a ref to do so.

Secondly, it didn't once show any of the 100 or so blatant throws that occurred over the same two games, not even for contrast to the argument they were making or to try and offer context as to why a referee might have cause to call a free for throwing the ball.

And third, if it's at the point that refs can't tell the difference between a pass and a throw due to a lack of striking action, it's because the lines have become so blurred between the two due to segments such as on The Sunday Game, that refs are under pressure to ignore the blatant persistent cheating that is the throw in order to let it flow in the off chance there might be a millimetre of separation rather than be raked over the coals on national TV.

At this stage, I'm convinced the support given to pundits agendas by RTE on The Sunday Game does more damage to the sport than good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Agree with all of that randd1. I don’t agree with the poster above who said the throw ball is impossible to call. As you said if the ref can’t see clear separation it’s a throw, it doesn’t matter what the slow replay shows afterwards. If they were blown every time the players wouldn’t be long about making sure clear separation was obvious. Donal Og and the Sunday game are disgraceful on this.

Thats it exactly….

If its not clear - its a foul. Simple….

Leave donal og and his super dooper slow mo dispute the minutiae afterwards on his tablet….

• Registered Users Posts: 40 lob it in

Rte love the cheerleading,Marty Morrissey having an orgasim as some gym bunny from Limerick hits a sponge ball over the bar from 150 yards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Sponge ball, what?

Whatever about the throw, the ball hasn't changed in composition or weight in many years (except the year or so when they had the rubber core, which was about 2003). You might take issue with the hurl itself but that's a different matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭hogans heroes

CAmogie have clamped down on it this year and it's working

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭jamesbond2022

Think it helps that camogie is a much slower game and easier to spot

Not so much in Club camogie though (lower standard of refs?)
    Certain city team are almost professional at it ……

what’s that, throwing the ball or a lower standard of ref.

Sorry …

I meant the refs at club camogie arent picking up/seeing the throws in Club camogie ..
    It is certainly happening.
    The intercounty girls seem to have 'quicker' hands for the hand pass/throw than the club girls, it is noticeable when both on the pitch together.

Post edited by greenspurs on

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭droppingball

Was there a masters fixture list for the club championship with dates for each round published this year? Can't seem to find one?

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭jimmythesulk

Disappointed to see their is no Kilkenny Masters hurling team taking part in this year's All Ireland Masters hurling championship, the first year it has been run since 2009. Even Kerry and Kildare have entered a team.

ye I remember it years ago but it was only a bit of craic, nothing more.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭kksaints

• Advertisement

Advertisement