Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion Spring/Summer 2024

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭typhoony

North of Ennis constant lightening and thunder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,210 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Amazing show here in Galway city, to the south the sky is constantly lit up with lightning. Loud rolling thunder.

I'm like a child on Christmas morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 870 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

Some flashes here in NW Donegal, but hardly any thunder? Power was gone for 20 mins but back again. Hopefully they’ll be a few rumbles later, they’re the best part!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Thunder and Lightening in Oranmore at the moment.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

East Galway must be getting some show cos we can see and hear it in south mayo

Epic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Some spectacular displays over south roscommon in the last hour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

I'm in East Galway but it's to the west of me back towards Athenry direction. Major fireworks though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭dmc17

Don't ye be trying to steal Galway's thunder! 🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

Caught some sweet pics out my back garden earlier.. Limerick City

I have some slow mo videos of the forks too but not sure how to upload here..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

North east Galway getting blitzed!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭ratracer

Some stunning displays of lightning in the sky in Kinvara, Co Galway for the last 20-30 mins. It was still so warm and clammy outside, it’s mostly given way to heavy rain now.
    I thought it was class, the dog was less impressed.😂

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Very faint flashing to the south of me in carrick think it's the storm over athlone or Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

One of the rattles of thunder sounded so unique. Sounds weird but it sounded like the film titanic when it’s splitting in two . I never heard thunder like that before. It wasn’t overly loud anything just the actual sound it made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Not seeing much over athlone at the moment, I have a clear view if it from 20km away.

I'd say what your seeing is towards north galway and beyond.

I am seeing lots of flashing around me but they are so far away I don't hear the thunder claps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭vickers209

Is it possible to upload a video any more?

Caught a cool video earlyier but cant seem to upload here way i use to do it,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

West Offaly here. Got a proper light show looking west just over an hour ago..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,912 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Fork lightning all over the place now!!! I have not seen a night storm like this since way back In May 2000. Spectacular stuff!!!

I' d take a crappy summer overall for a night like this anytime!

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Mapaputsi

Had an amazing light show in Oranmore for the last 40 mins or so but seems to have died down now. Met radar is confusing it seems to show different patterns depending on how far you zoom in or out (nothing new there lol) so not sure whether to wait another while or go to bed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

that was the best I’ve ever seen

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

If you have twitter you could post it on that and copy the link to the forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭salamander27

About a half hour ago here in south Galway the whole sky was lit up with flickering lightning, but it was like there was constant bolts firing like a welder behind the clouds for at least 2 mins until there was a massive bolt and it went out. Weirdest thing I've seen in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭BagofWeed

The anti fun weather shield for Cork City held up anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

Holding my fone up to capture the scenes but keep missing them!! FML

Incredible scenes northeast Galway!!

Went bright as day there a sec ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,547 ✭✭✭squonk

I saw that I think from here. The sky was lit up to my east here in north Clare towards east Clare/S Galway. Constant bright flickering light illuminating the clouds. I thought there was a massive fire or electrical fire somewhere and then it went after a minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

On the lightning app when you zoom out over Europe it has 3 current lightning hotspots. France 2700+, Ireland&offshore 1900+ and close to st.Petersburg 1300+ strikes. I think that’s over the previous hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Ros4Sam24

this has been class. I’ve been sitting out the last hour watching the sky light up to the sw frequently. Haven’t had a drop of rain and it’s a balmy 18c

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,433 ✭✭✭✭road_high

any chance of anything further east? Not seen anything in Kilkenny yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭vickers209

Watching portrane fireworks tonight with kids and got them literally!!

https://x.com/vickers209/status/1822768780612600185?t=J0CCWUvw21SOFvhw0eB9ow&s=09

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,194 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

And finally Thunder in Castlebar :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭salamander27

From where I am it seemed like it was over the town of Gort. Glad I'm not the only one who saw it. 😄

Advertisement