Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

(Site is a graveyard - How can boards save itself?) Any update?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,201 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,398 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I don't care to look, I just asked a question. Surely you can see how that might have been interpreted when I'm not familiar with the threads in question?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,124 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

No I don't see how you read that and am not happy about it .

That's an unfair accusation and now I am wondering all sorts .

Have you been pming someone who asked you to say this ?

Goodnight .

You've edited your post, I addressed Suvigirl in my post too, not just you.

• Advertisement

Yes I continued writing .

So did I read your post wrong then ?

What exactly are you accusing ME of ??

It was a question, I acknowledged in the post that I may have been wrong and I've accepted your answer.

Yeah right . When was that ?

. So now answer my question ?

And I might accept your apology ..

At the end @Goldengirl.

If this is true that is indeed the dreaded pile up, and a very underhanded method of engagement. I may well be wrong but that's how I interpret these posts.

And this is me asking a question, not accusing you.

How did you ask like-minded posters for help? Was it on thread or did you PM other posters to argue with you?

• Advertisement

So it wasn't . I am not going to produce the post for you but it was on the dangers or the Gript thread, no pms no requests for pile ons .

If I have something to say I come out and say it to your face . And if I report someone I can do it all by myself .

Now I am upset by this and request that you and JP Liz just go and play whatever games you want with someone else .

This is classic and why this site is becoming such a nightmare .

Why would someone decent behave like this to anyone unless they are trolling ?

There's no game, liz and I have played Werewolf together here and on Forum of Games. Her comment was a joke about my posting style and nothing to do with you or your posts.

I read you comment where you said you were struggling in a thread so you asked like-minded, left leaning posters for help. I simply asked how you asked for help. I also come straight out and ask things which I why I asked you directly whilst acknowledging I may be wrong. I've accepted your answer and haven't asked for proof.

It's unfair to accuse me of trolling, I've engaged openly on this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,213 ✭✭✭suvigirl

I never suggested any posts in this thread. I thought this was a feedback thread about Boards?

Seriously? Leggy! More sleep is needed. I have not suggested any posts on this thread be removed, in fact, it is the posts with personal abuse, or hateful racist,sexist, xenophobic stuff that I feel should be deleted. Nothing to do with this thread.

I posted a response beasty made on another thread in feedback, no conspiracy here.

Awake still ...thanks for that !

Bit of a funny one that " when I only asked you a question "too.

Nothing open engagement about out the blue accusing two posters of pm-ing and organising pile ups !

You say you did not mean it like that but that is what you said / how you wrote that .

So really you should acknowledge that and apologise or else I can take it that you don't accept my reply .

Either somebody got under your skin or is dripping poison in your ear because I can't understand how you thought any of that was ok and why you are somehow affronted when no apology appears to be forthcoming from you about this ?

We have never had cross words before and I certainly haven't been reporting you or anyone giving feedback here

I want to draw a line under this now before it ends up closing the thread ( is that the aim of this carryon? )

Btw Lz's interjection wasn't very helpful because it made it seem as if you two were in cahoots , of which I am sure you are well aware .

Edited two spelling mistakes only

Post edited by Goldengirl on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 887 ✭✭✭OscarMIlde

Disingeuous targeted posting in an attempt to shut down or stymie discussion frustrates moderate posters who want to discuss issues or learn about topics and drives them away.

I lurk on the Russian thread, but all too often the threads devolve into fights about motivations rather than actually discussing the minutiae of the conflict. Same with Irish politics threads which immediately become FG/FF vs SF rather than actually discussing policies.

Agenda driven posters arguing for and against a side at any cost are ruining it for everyone else and only moderation asking people to cop on can stop it. We all know it happens, we even have a poster on this thread admitting to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

I'm sure Mike will be very happy with all the "constructive" feedback provided here... 😒🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

I generally have nothing but support for the moderators but when they apply warnings based on their beliefs and not the rules, then it is becoming a problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

Deleted.

Ironically, offering nothing constructive myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,938 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

I thought with seeing a few pages that their might have been an interesting development.

The last few pages are basically what most threads descend into, posters bickering at each other and ruining a thread.

Juvenile behaviour that must drive mods insane.

If you want to have a pop at posters take it to pm and if you feel aggrieved then pm a mod.

The annoying part is all that happens is threads get shut down over this behaviour, where dealing with the handful of people ruining threads would be the best thing.

To add, I have been guilty of such behavior and would have no problem being reprimanded if I do so in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,854 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Yeah, but it's subjective when they're doing that.

That is the issue, one person claiming it, or even 1 side of the discussion doesn't make it so. It absolutely should be avoided, but it needs a good Dispute Resolution Process to either identify that that was the case, or to clear the Mod involved and carry on.

I've spoken a lot on these 2 feedback threads about my issues with moderation. And I've said that one of the things that really showed me that there's an issue is precisely that the Dispute Resolution Process failed to operate at all in a particular case for me.

What rules? Where are they? Hard to know if rules are being broken if you can't find them.

All mod actions are subject to appeal. If you appeal and a cmod does nothing, it was within the rules and not just a mods beliefs.

If a mod actions is appealed and the appeals are often overturned, the modship is removed.

This process is very clear.

If you want to have a pop at posters take it to pm and if you feel aggrieved then pm a mod.

New nomination for worst piece of advice on this thread.

Do not take any complaints about me to pm.

I will report you for unsolicited PM's, and possible abusive behaviour. Best out in the open where admin, mods and the community can see for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Slightly Kwackers

I see this is typical of a thread on this medium where the subject matter is adhered to firmly and never morphs in any interesting way, just goes on and on eventually regurgitating the same stuff with the same users.

We used to have killfiles in Usenet and dynamic threads that would keep going over years with little bearing on the original subject line, the users were perhaps entrenched in their views, but they would at least get sick of batting the same ball to and fro and change the game to suit the trajectory.

As far as this thread title goes, we used to have a "DNR" order in the UK health service.

It was often the kindest approach.

I interpreted your posts as possible collusion and asked for clarification. I did state that I may be wrong. Turns out I was and I've accepted the response from you and Suvigirl.

I'm not in collusion with anyone, I am capable of thinking and posting for myself.

We have crossed swords before on a Covid thread where you were adamant that employers would forevermore insist that employees stay at home if they have a cold or flu.

There was no malice on my part, I just wanted to understand your posts.

I'm not affronted, but I think it's clear I'm not a troll. I have repeatedly responded openly to others on this thread regardless of whether we agree or disagree.

I'm drawing a line under this now because it's ruining the thread and, no, it is not my intention to have it closed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,938 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Yes not ideal, I was going to suggest people act like adults but that's unlikely.

I couldn't think of any other way people could continue arguing without everyone else having to scroll through the drama.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,370 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

What do you mean by the 'same side of the debate as you are on'? What side am I on?

For the record, the only party I was ever a member of are the Greens and my vote would generally go to Green/ Labour/ like minded independents. I'm the very definition of left of centre and generally liberal views. That doesn't mean though that I am not greatly concerned about the rapid changes in Irish society nor am I going to swallow every woke agenda that pops up. And I speak up on these issues as a concerned citizen.

Someone of my ilk, a centrist should be able to debate points of view on an Irish site like boards, without having to continually think 'will this align with moderator xyz's views on the matter'? That's the issue with parts of this site, it's far too censorious. I wouldn't be a great fan of Musk but his broad instincts on these matters is correct. Let the people speak and if that means you or others or I have to read a few uncomfortable viewpoints, well you or I or others don't have to ascribe to them.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 54,021 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Nobody is stopping you debating anything Furze, your problem is you don't actually debate, you just soapbox. This is why you keep ending up in bother.

It's not censorious to nip your soapboxing in the bud, the moderators have to clamp down on it as it ruins threads for all other posters who are actually debating a subject on merit.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement