Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All things Camogie.

123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

You had that in the men's final too, umpires not up to it. For a final you really should have other refs and linesmen as umpires, not the refs buddies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Goal should not have stood. Ball went straight in from her hand. It had a major bearing on the outcome. All credit to Galway for storming back into it after that and really should have had a free in straight infront of the goals when just 2 points down in injury time.

Corks bench pulled it out of the fire for them, but I'd be gutted if I were a galway player or supporter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭tanko

It’s easy winning when you can throw the ball into the net and the referee rides the opposition.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,030 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Thought it actually hit the dfenders hurley, corner back who was on a yellow should have been carded and sent off and a penalty given either way.

Galway couldn't have done anymore.

Galway player clearly barging, free out I thought, but the ref brought it back for a foul all the way to the sideline - a serious Advantage was given in that case for Galway.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,030 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

well done cork

Think you would have won even without the ref

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,274 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Galway were rode on decisions in the last half hour. Absolutely bareback.

Wild pull by Cork, not even a free. Could have changed the game on 50 mins.

They can feel rightly aggrieved.

That point that the Galway keeper stopped had already gone over the bar and should have been given as a point to Cork - but the officials said play on.

Very hard to see the goal, they showed it on slowmo and it was still hard to see in fairness.

The keeper gave away a certain penalty in any event - there can be no denying that.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Classic21

yeah, probably a penalty anyway. Agree it was hard to see in real time.

General Hawkeye question, would it not intervene if the ref or umpires missed the score?

I thought I heard it would during a Tipp match a couple of seasons ago when something similar happened

Not a chance a girl that height can pull a ball back into play from above the crossbarr if it broke the plane of the goal posts.

Also its important to remember that halk eye automatically checks everthing that flies in. If something broke the plane of the goal line then the halk eye official gets an alert anf in turn notifies the match officials

• Advertisement

Don't think so - I think you have to signal for Hawkeye and stop the game, keeper brought the ball back into play and the game continued.

Not sure if that's true, in the Football final, didn't Galway Definitely score a point that was waved wide. From the angle in the stand it definitely looked like a point.

Post edited by ShamoBuc on

I personally know a referee that has done multiple All Ireland hurling finals. He told me this is how it operates. Cant see why the protocol in camogie would be different

Proves the point. Had the ball actually gone over then the hawk eye official would have intervened if the call on field was wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,812 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Correct. You don’t have to signal to want to view hawkeye

• Registered Users Posts: 4,340 ✭✭✭Robson99

Hawkeye is flawed… needs to be seriously looked at…. when was the last time TA came up on it ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,570 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Overall, two poor finals.
    Low scoring, fumbling ball, and AGAIN , poorly attended.

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,812 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

If you’re referring to the Senior final you’re a mile off

That’s about as high scoring a competitive game as you’ll see. Taking into account 60 minute matches and obviously a smaller scoring range compared to the lads, on aggregate I’d say that Senior final was the highest it’s ever been (bar trouncing etc).

Quality was good too

Intermediate and Junior matches were bad

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Deiselurker

I agree. It was one of the best camogie finals I've seen. Some recent finals have been dour, low scoring games and last years one was very one sided. Standard was quite high but unfortunately the refereeing in 2nd half wasn't. Cork's goal shouldn't have been allowed but seemed to be missed by everyone until after the game and 2 blatant fouls on Galway players in injury time not given as frees.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,340 ✭✭✭Robson99

Exactly. Thought it was a very good game with some excellent scores. However the refereeing in second half was Junior B standard which was a shame

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭The Guru 123

Super game and before I criticise the referee (which unfortunately I will have to) I’d like to say how her refereeing style contributed to a free flowing and exciting game but she got the big decisions totally wrong and she refereed the game in a totally wreckless manner.

Back to the match though and it was a super game played with ferocious intensity by both sides. Some great individual performances and the efficiency of the shooting by both sides was fantastic until Galway’s accuracy let them down.

But the refereeing. I hate complaining about referees, I genuinely do. But that was absolutely shambolic refereeing from start to finish. I get that there is a mantra to let the game flow but for a lot of that match there may as well not have been a ref on the pitch. Some of the tackling that was being allowed was totally wreckless and the intensity of these fouls only increased as the game went on when the players picked up that she just wasn’t going to give a free for anything.

The only frees she seemed capable of giving were against players for barging, virtually none of which actually were barging. It’s totally unfair anyway to be super strict on the attacking player and then letting the tacklers basically do whatever they like.

The free not given to Galway’s number 5 for when she was pole axed from both sides near the end was one of the worst decisions I’ve ever seen. It couldn’t have been a more blatant free. There was another shortly after also not given to Galway for a very high pull that was extremely obvious and dangerous.

The goal I wouldn’t blame the ref for, umpire has to spot that. Crazy that he wasn’t capable.

I’ve picked out what I think were the 3 most egregious decisions and they all went against Galway but don’t get me wrong there was plenty more blatant fouls on both sides not given.

To referee the game like that makes for an exciting spectacle but it compromises the integrity of the match by not actually applying the rules and also compromises the safety of the players by allowing such dangerous tackling which only gets worse as a game goes on because the players realise it’s the law of the jungle out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Seadin

I didn't hear you saying that for the opposing team in the U20 semi final or the All Ireland senior final this year but sure only call it when it suits the narrative. If Cork fans were complaining about that goal the last day we be told to stop being sour losers and stop taking away from Galways win. About time we are on the right side of a dodgy ref decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Stationmaster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Seadin

https://camogie.ie/news/camogie-club120-120-years-of-camogie-join-us-join-in/

"Camogie Club120 will take place from August 17th to late September, "

And this was press released on …August 19th ………….. 😏

Left up to clubs if they want to mark the 120th year anniversary … Shur why would the association do the work ?
    … Up to the clubs …

Start the 'celebration' two days prior to releasing it to the public… and then just leaving it to 'late november' …………..

😏

they had the whole year to celebrate , and launch , this , but they wait til mid August !?!?!

Very poor effort.

Should be doing soooo much more for this, instead of a web release two days after it starts?

I emailed the Assoc and enquired if there was any merch. flags , banners, t shirts etc available for clubs that want to organise something for the 120…

The reply was ……… NO (surprise !)

they used all the supply at the All Irl finals ….. ..

wow…

Advertisement