Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Dublin really safe?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭Heckler

Thats a horrible thing to happen but its not indicitive of most peoples experiences. Can happen anywhere from the smallest town or village to a capital city. As someone said earlier keep your wits about you, mind your own business, stay with others if you can you'll be ok. If someone/people decide to do you harm for absolutely no reason and without warning theres very little you can do about it. Only way is to try to mitigate against it.

I'm from Cork. Theres certain areas I won't smoke going past because I know its going to attract people approaching me for a cigarette. See some dodgy **** cross the road, duck into a shop. Shouldn't have to but there ya go. I know Cork and how to get home avoiding certain hot spots. I stick a 20 in my back pocket for a taxi after booze and thats me home of a night. Plenty of nights no taxi to be had so just walked with no bother.

Walking anywhere at night with headphones is a bad idea. See it all the time. Usually with a head stuck in a phone too. Yup of course you should be able to without any fear but thats the world today. A basic situational awareness will do you a lot of favours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,290 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I've been to Prague a few times and it's never happened to me. The closest would be walking up that huge main street a sex worker approached me and threw her arms around me and immediately slipped her hand into my back pocket. I just reached back and took the wallet into my hand and walked away. She was really bad at it.

I live in Dusseldorf now and I've never felt unsafe here. I think I probably feel safer here than any city I've ever been in. In the Altstadt, the old city part, there's a massive police presence. It's the equivalent of templebar and you always see groups of 4 police walking around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Wenceslas square? The place used to be crawling with hookers and drug dealers but it seems to have changed a lot in recent years. I didn't see any of that the last couple of times I was there anyway. It feels a lot safer at night now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,288 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 5,747 ✭✭✭brickster69

"if you get on the wrong train, get off at the nearest station, the longer it takes you to get off, the more expensive the return trip will be."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,221 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Just shows you. Its not just the culchies like myself that think it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭newmember2

From the article…

"90% support for the criminal District Court to operate on a 24/7 basis"

What's that gonna do, get them back out on the street faster?

How would any reasonable person expect people to feel safe when violent criminals are getting suspended sentences consistently. All our prisons are bursting at the seams, but not a mention of a new prison being built to be found anywhere…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,290 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

It was probably about 6 years ago. And yes, that's where I was thinking of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭I.R.Y.E.D

An Irish person would know the Dublin version given the thread topic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,833 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

See, that's where you're confused. Dublin is full of people from all over Ireland, it's not just Dubliners that live in the capital. Millions from all over have made their homes in Dublin. Even people like you have managed to make it their home.

The headline says people don't feel safe in the city centre but if you read it it says "70% of 1500 people have witnessed drug-dealing in public and 65% of them have seen anti-social behaviour in the city centre". It says nothing about feeling safe and the stats show that they are safe and that Dublin is a safe city.

The interesting thing is they've echoed my sentiments about extra policing and policing public transport. Basically, they want city money to be spent in the city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,742 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

• Registered Users Posts: 19 OneoOne1

As a proud Irishman who loves Ireland and Dublin, it is with deep concern and a genuine desire for improvement that I raise the question of our current cultural state. In recent years, Dublin has become increasingly uninviting and worrisome to navigate. This is not an attack on our nation but rather a call for introspection and positive change.

Having traveled extensively across Europe and the world, I can confidently state that the levels of social disobedience seen in Dublin are uncommon elsewhere. The prevalence of drug use, public urination, drunken behavior, and acts of aggression, which have become routine in our capital, is rarely witnessed in other cities.

A recent trip to Zurich left me feeling disheartened when comparing the differences between Dublin and this Swiss city. The cleanliness of Zurich was striking. I saw no homeless individuals or beggars. While it may be argued that comparing Dublin to one of the wealthiest cities globally is unfair, my observations extend beyond Zurich.

During visits to Serbia and Romania, countries often perceived as poorer and less desirable, I observed a stark contrast. In Serbia, there were no homeless individuals or antisocial behavior. Public spaces were utilized by families with children late into the night, and everyone adhered to traffic signals. I even saw a busker on a main street taking a break, leaving his guitar and money unattended while he got a coffee. Such acts of trust and civility were heartwarming and markedly different from Dublin.

At a music festival in Serbia, thousands of attendees walked to the venue, most without drinking, behaving in a civilized manner. This was not due to a heavy police presence; in fact, police visibility was minimal.

In Romania, I was struck by the beauty and family-friendly nature of the cities I visited. Again, I witnessed no antisocial behavior, begging, or public intoxication. One night, the city hosted an opera in the town square, and everyone behaved with remarkable civility.

These experiences lead me to question why Dublin, and Ireland more broadly, struggles with such issues. This is not about policing; it is about cultural values and social norms. We need to reflect on why we tolerate and, in some cases, perpetuate behaviors that detract from the quality of life in our cities.

It is crucial to have an open and honest conversation about our culture and the steps needed for improvement. We must strive to create a cleaner, safer, and more respectful environment for ourselves and future generations. It is time to take pride in our cities not just for their history and charm, but for the quality of life they offer to all residents and visitors.

Post edited by HildaOgdenx on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,842 ✭✭✭donegal_man

"In Romania, I was struck by the beauty and family-friendly nature of the cities I visited. Again, I witnessed no antisocial behavior, begging, or public intoxication…"

You obviously travelled outside Bucharest then. A city I've visited quite a lot over the last few years and where the level of crime makes Dublin look like an urban utopia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭L Grey

Those places you described sound dry asf.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,049 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Thread merged

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,970 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Christ talk about taking the absolute number 1 and comparing it to Dublin … Any city in Switzerland is cleaner, safer and wealthier than anywhere else in Europe really… Though I have walked through some very dark areas of Basel and lived to tell the tale…

Some very gritty areas in the New Belgrade areas too, and the holding areas beside the Police station near the river where the police hold migrants…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,515 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

This guy had a gun on him at a retail premises in Terenure last Friday.

The Gardai have since arrested and charged him this week over the incident.

And we thought the suburbs were safe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭yagan

I lived in the K before, I never had delusions about dublin burbs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,882 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Dublin is "an unadulterated kip"

the city was ”being taken over by pound shops” while “nobody is shouting stop”. The radio outburst came as business owners in Dun Laoghaire called in to complain about Business Improvement District initiative (BID) fees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,458 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Kip was an old term for a brothel.

Maybe Joe is riting anudder buke?

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,384 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Would you be happier if she did her injecting up a back lane, out of sight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

This is a valid point. There is a city within the city which is much safer and a completley different experience than the north inner city and certain other parts of Dublin.

But i do also wonder if that is part of the reason things dont improve elsewhere in the city. If those with influence live within the golden triangle, how concerned are they about what goes on elsewhere in Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,611 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

In relative terms I guess , point is enough good schools to avoid a racial jungle, you can raise your kids with likeminded people, and with normal common sense one can reduce risk in terms of personal safety. Could it be better ,Yes I'd in favor of 3 strikes and you are out but hey ho, you dont get everything you want in life so learn to work around it.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,611 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

people can always mess up anywhere and you need free association too, you need to have some way of separating "good people form "bad people" , the default is to use high house prices as a barrier to entry but no reason that crime etc cant be engineered out of more areas but there would be opposition from all directions

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

…point is enough good schools to avoid a racial jungle…"

Ha yeh, shur it's all the immigrant families causing all the trouble.

Have you looked into the effectiveness of the 3 strikes laws, or did it just sound cool at the south Dublin dinner party debate?

Statistics from the California Department of Corrections show that the law disproportionately affects minority populations. Over 45 percent of inmates serving life sentences under the Three Strikes law are African American. The Three Strikes law is also applied disproportionately against mentally ill and physically disabled defendants. California’s State Auditor estimates that the Three Strikes law adds over $19 billion to the state’s prison budget. Criminologists agree that life sentences for non-violent repeat offenders does nothing to improve public safety.

Do you ever wonder why other people aren't 'like minded' when you structure society around the kind of segregation that you outline above?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,436 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I wonder if even half of them will make it out alive?

Advertisement