Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best Electricity Plan for new EV Owners

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 danb_2010

Just to check is this for both the Certa and BWG affinity plans with Flogas or just BWG? Looking at the offer pages, the BWG (which ends in March 2025) references the microgen rate of 20c, whereas the Certa page doesn’t make any reference at all to microgen rates. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭garyskeepers

I read somewhere this has to be a 241 Peugeot? Am i right there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

sorry if been asked before but is there a site that you can just upload historical smart meter usuage and it will determine best plans based on your actual elctrictity needs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,147 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

wow - this is very cool and very useful thank you!

General question. At the moment, would you prefer to be on a discounted variable rate (12 month) as opposed to fixed rate (12 month) contract given the downward pressure on electricity prices in recent times?

Additionally, for those of you on standard day-night tariffs with solar, what would appeal to you more:

(1) Fixed rate 20c microgen, with 25.48c day rate and 12.35 night rate vs. (2) Variable rate 24c microgen, 26.72c day rate and 12.81c night rate (and 30EUR less in standing charges)? I think the higher microgen rate might swing it for me given 7.9kWp solar size with 10kwh battery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,046 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

For me the fixed rate worked out well, while prices went down they didn't go down so much that I lost anything by going onto fixed rates

Having said that, in the example you gave they're close enough to be in the noise. You'll probably have to work it out with your expected generation to get a better idea

One option is to work out a worst case on the variable rate that raises the price by €50 per year. Once it goes above that you're better off paying the break contract fee and switching provider to a fixed rate

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,673 ✭✭✭✭fits

has any energia customer managed to get the 37% discount on renewal without going through the whole switching charade?
    just ran energy pal figures and the plan we are on is the best (which is unsurprising as I’m brilliant. 🤣)

Open to correction on this, but I think you will need to initiate a switch and wait for the retention team to contact you to get anything close. They will typically offer around 34%.

• Advertisement

for goodness’ sake. What a waste of everyone’s time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Zurbaran

With energia and the contract will soon be up.

Best seems to be BG if I really use the ev slot and avoid the peak. Standing charge is high though. Not sure how much I use but I do 20,000km a year and nearly all of that is power from home.

Cheaper on bonkers than their own site for some reason

EV (2am - 5am)

6.237 centper kWh

Day

24.472 centper kWh

Night

18.455 centper kWh

Peak

34.127 centper kWh

Annual standing charge

€325.48

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Zurbaran

Probably a dumb question but by initiating you mean you would sign up with another provider rather than tell them you are cancelling?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭denismc

Ring them up and ask to put your wife's name on the account, then they can treat it as a new account and give the discount. This has worked for me in the past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Does it? I might try that next year with BG I'm very happy with the EV plan I'm on since last month. In saying that I'll be checking the app like a hawk around black Friday, they gave great deals last year. You need to be quick as they're very time limited.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,432 ✭✭✭ando

I just bought an EV and looking for the best electric rate. I have a smart meter but currently on a 24 hour tariff. I would think I am an average user of electricity for a family of four. (I dont know how to access the usage info?)

BG have a great 33% offer, the day rate is actually cheaper than what I am paying now, so its only more expensive on the peak two hour slot.

My fear is I will be moving to a smart meter tariff, which means in 12 months I'll be stuck looking only for smart meter rates which potentially could end up much more expensive. Are my fears a real thing or am I just getting worked up about this too much?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,369 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Usage info : sign up for a esb networks account and it will have all your usage there

I've signed up to that plan and I'm getting 36% discount effectively giving me free driving, I've given more to the poor homeless chap down the town than the car has cost me in electricity. I was worried about next year but almost every provider is doing a 24hr plan for an activated smart meter now. It's very handy to see how much I've spent of electricity on a daily basis, compared to my last full bill with Flogas I'm going to be saving in excess of €100 every 2 months. My last bill with Flogas was €419 with BG no week has exceeded €36 making it cheaper.

I've discovered something quite worrying with my smart meter plan. I'm with BG on their EV plan, I signed up on the 15th of July. All had been going well viewing my data on their site etc until today. Looking at yesterday's usage (24th) it shows high usage between 2 and 5 as though I had plugged the car in, but I didn't as it didn't need to be charged. Roll back to last Saturday (17th) and both usage graphs are practically identical, I did charge the car that night but definitely not last night as can be seen from my Tronity app charging history. Who do I contact about this? Esbn? BG? Or both? My meter shows A+ on the screen which I'm assuming is an indicator of good signal communication strength. I've attached 3 screenshots.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,369 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

A+ on the meter is the 24hr meter import register, A- is the Export register.

What does the ESBN networks site say?

(also what a terrible graph. No scale on it, Could it be an immersion timer?)

Never thought of checking the esbn site I'll do that on the laptop it's easier. Is isn't the immersion as it's gone belly up there's a wire broken that connects both elements and I have it isolated at the CU. There was nothing running as I arrived home from work just after 1am and everyone was in bed, just the usual stuff fridge etc ticking over.

• Advertisement

I think a previous poster noticed something similar and found out that ESBN will fill in the gaps if the meter loses signal for a while

It could also be an issue that they registered the wrong meter to the MPRN, in which case you're getting a neighbours usage pattern

This is what's showing on the esbn site. It looks like BG are at fault here. Will be interesting to see what the response is.

Here's the previous Saturday.

After more than 6 weeks? Ah here😏 I'm the only EV in the neighbourhood with the exception of a big Volvo tank yoke that's never driven or plugged in, it's a PHEV.

Quick update, after being on the esbn site I checked the BG site and lo and behold it's been changed. I'll be keeping a closer eye on BG in relation to what the meter actually sends to esbn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,727 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Sounds like another good reason to avoid a “smart” meter and stuck with my old day/night meter ?

You can always do what I do and take the smart day/night meter without going to a smart plan.

You can see your usage on the ESBN site but don't need to go to a smart plan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 125 ✭✭Core6

BG showing the wrong data in a graph has happened to me a few times over the past year. It has always been corrected within a few days.

It certainly wouldn't be enough to put me off switching to a smart meter/smart meter rate though. Paying just €0.07c per kWh between 02:00 and 05:00 is a strong enough argument for me to think it is a good idea.

While it wouldn't put me off it's worrying that it can happen at all especially when esbn show the correct data usage. BG showed the correct usage pattern last night but it's showing the incorrect usage this morning, it certainly wouldn't inspire confidence in them.

Can I ask how you did that, went to a smart day/night meter without going to a smart plan? I was quoted €300 to replace my smart meter with a day/night meter.

So I was on a regular Day/Night meter which automatically got replaced with a Smart Day/Night one

As long as I stay on non smart Day/Night plans then it's fine. I still get metered export and can access my usage via the ESBN portal

If you're on a smart plan then I don't think you can move to a smart D/N meter. However if you're still on a 24 hour plan then I think you can still switch over, however it will probably involve a meter swap, which is probably what ESBN is charging for

• Advertisement

yep exactly what I thought. I have a smart meter but not on a smart plan, wanting to move to a non smart day/night plan. They want to charge €300 to remove the smart meter and replace it with a day/night. Snookered

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭big_show

I was under the impression you're first move was free in such a circumstance, who is quoting the 300e the supplier or esb themselves? I'd ring esb themselves and chat to them about the charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭loopymum

I'm moving to Flogas from energia, Energia retention just rang and said they will give me a credit of min 170 on my last bill to stay and rates to stay are very similar to flogas, 50 exit fee.

They said they will credit the 170 euro on the 5th Sept.

I'm thinking of staying till I get the credit, then jump ship once I get the minimum 170 credit, I should still be up 120, how long before I can move to a different supplier then? I vaguely remember a boardsie being unable to move for a period of time in this type of scenario?

I did indeed ring ESB and they said there is no cost! So someone telling porkies

you can’t take the credit and then move. They’re obviously going to claw it back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Sam the Sham

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

If they offered me 170 credit and the 37% new customer discount then energia would be about better for me to stay with than moving to flogas as flogas has a substantially higher standing charge. However if they only offered the 20% standard retention discount then flogas still is better value.

What did they offer you?

Also will energia offer the new customer discount if you switch account holders?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭John arse

Yes was wondering what percentage they offered as well with that amount of credit?

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Ivor_Guddon

i don't have a smart meter

i've an oldschool one so best for me is Yuno

currently on EI and paying 0.33 ex vat per KW

Yuno is 0.22 ex vat for a year

so even charging my 60kwh Tesla Model Y it will cost €14.76 inc vat , so far better than the €60 a week i was using before in my ICE car

• Advertisement

Yuno require you to get a smart meter it's in their terms and conditions, if you go with them they'll request one on your behalf. Before the smart meter is installed they'll screw you with estimated bills. There are loads of providers out there that are cheaper than what you're paying now.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Ivor_Guddon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,775 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Yep, avoid Yuno like Covid.

When yuno, you know

Couldn't resist, sorry 😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭pah

I've just recently got a Model 3 and wondering about the best tarrif for my situation. Firstly I'm on the Energia Smart Data Dual since April - 15.91c Night, 29.72 Day and 31.15 Peak. Solar installed in June - 3.8kWp with 5kWh battery. I'm very impressed with the solar and it's doing very well compared to larger systems according to my installer.

I do about 350km a week so I'm charging every 6/7 days. Don't want to drop below 20% charge to keep Sentry mode available - so 1 charge 20% to 100% in about 7 to 8 hours overnight. This costs me about €8.50. I am also charging the house battery at 3am.

I've done the maths on changing to the Energia EV tariff 2am - 6am @ 7.54c and between the car and battery I would be saving almost €400 per annum. Obviously there is the higher rate of 33.86c the rest of the time. Am I wasting my time trying to work this out? Should I give it a year and drop my esb network usage into a comparison tool next May and try to see what the best deal is at that stage?

If I was to switch to the EV tariff what is the best way to charge the car? 60% to 100% twice a week (ish) or 20 to 60, 45 to 80, 60 to 100 by plugging in every 2 days or so?

Trying to maximise savings but don't want to get swallowed up into the minutiae of it all. Making great savings as it is compared to a few months ago!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭tommythecat

Just to say that you will get around 29kwh into the car in the four hour EV window.

4kwp South East facing PV System. 5.3kwh Weco battery. South Dublin City.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Dayor Knight

Consider E.I. weekender? If you're charging every 6 or 7 says it sounds like it might suit you to the ground. Free charging of the EV every Saturday or Sunday. While the rate for the remaining days looks high at about 35c, you can discount that by 1/7 th to reflect the free day. You may also move some of your discretionary stuff to the weekend.

Depends on your own situation of course and if suits you to charge on a Saturday (or Sunday).

Your electricity usage will probably be higher over winter anyway, so no need to wait the full year. Just set the timers to start charging at 2am and wait a month or two, you'll be able to see how much of your usage falls outside the charging window

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭pah

Yeah, I was thinking of doing that, easy to compare HDF file then with price plans 👍️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭McCrack

This all sounds like so much bother and life is too short for this

What is? Jaysus you're incredibly lazy if it's too difficult to setup an account with esbn, download a tiny file and then upload it to energypal to see who's the cheapest provider for you, you don't even need to create an account with energypal.

• Advertisement
Advertisement