Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vice President Kamala Harris vs Donald Trump 2024

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,711 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

There is also a massive difference in calling someone crooked, lying, corrupt etc to calling them weird.

Lots of people are weird. I would suggest that everyone is weird compared to some others.

But being weird is not, in of itself, a reason not to vote for someone. Crooked, lying, corrupt etc certainly is.

And Vance mocked Harris' laugh. So he can hardly take the moral high ground on this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,041 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

We all know how much Trump obsessed about polling, so I'd say he's utterly furious over the last two weeks.

The betting average is only heading one way. (I'm beginning to trust this more than traditional polling!)

Interesting to see them follow each other in parallel, I assume that's RFK's vote going back to Trump over the last few days.

This one is the most interesting and the most pertinent to the Harris campaign.

The historical part. At this stage in 2016, Hilary was +6.3 and we know what happened there. Just because momentum is with Harris, they cannot take the foot off the accelerator at all. There's only 84 days left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,622 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Hello "New poster"

Your overuse of "lol" intrigues me and makes me want to hear more from you, is there a blog or a newsletter perhaps that I could sign up to for more in depth analysis from you?

Kind Regards

Timberrrrrrrr.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,865 ✭✭✭Shoog

Trump been sued by estate of Isaac Hayes for using his song without permission;

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/4823331-family-of-isaac-hayes-sues-trump-for-playing-his-song-at-rallies/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,838 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

If you think of all the people you know, how many would you describe as weird. Ya people may be different, I even know a few that are conspiracy theorist to different extents. But out of the hundreds of people I know there is probably only one or two that I would consider weird.

If they are weird you would not let them mind your children, and if I had young children I would not let them alone with Trump.

I posted in a few Trump/ US election threads that ⁹to defeat Trump you had to get under his skin and pick a nickname or something similar and keep referring to it.

Bullies and name callers in general hate having the same done to them. They go completely off the wall.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,852 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,587 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

UK jails gonna be full of critical.thnkers for the next three years or so....

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,059 ✭✭✭✭Penn

"I posted in a few Trump/ US election threads tgat to defeat Trump you had to get under his skin and pick a nickname or something similar and keep referring to it.

Bullies and name callers in general hate having the same done to them. Tgey go completely off the wall."

That's why 'weird' is especially good; there's no real defence for it. It's entirely subjective and based off a vibe. And then the more you try to not seem weird or overly trying to defend yourself…. makes you seem kinda weird.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,506 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

steer clear of RCP. They simply average the polls with zero intelligence applied.

I see in the fivethirtyeight average, where intelligence is applied, is really starting to look good for Harris.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/polls/president-general/2024/national/

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭Rawr

I think that's the beauty and simplicity of the "wierd" attack against Donnie and MAGA in general. For one, it's true; the complete lack of a moral compass in MAGAworld has fostered an environment where blatent nazism, televangleists screaming to high-heavens about how Donnie is "Jesus 2.0" and where shooting of puppies somehow became a marketing statement….is wierd.

Also, it's an easy idea to sell to almost the entire electorate. You don't need a history lesson to explain how much MAGA mirrors the NSDAP, you just need to point out how unusual and unhinged the lot of them are.

Finally, it drives them nuts. Their outbursts help sell the idea that they are indeed weird and shouldn't be entrusted with public resposibilty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,929 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

The historical part. At this stage in 2016, Hilary was +6.3 and we know what happened there. Just because momentum is with Harris, they cannot take the foot off the accelerator at all. There's only 84 days left.

At this stage in 2016, Hilary had been investigated by the FBI once, and they had just reopened the casefile.

Harris has never been investigated by the FBI,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,865 ✭✭✭Shoog

That's not how the weird insult is meant to work. It's psychologically much more subtle.

When you pride yourself on been straight up guy/girl been associated with a weird person is uncomfortable - makes you want to distance yourself from that person. It undermines both the self image of the person been called weird and the prospective voter.

It's clever - not the Brutish thuggery that Trump indulges in. The contract is stark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,672 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Tbh, after the polling for the last two elections, and especially after 538 'recalibrated' their methods for the 2020 election and were still miles off for many states, I'm not sure I want to pay any attention to the polls.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭McFly85

There’s too many differences between Clinton’s campaign to draw any real conclusions, but the Harris campaign does at least seem to have learned from her mistakes.

It’s smart to concentrate on rallies now instead of press. Trump is a bully with no policy to promote, campaigning purely on discrediting his opponent. Without press it basically starves Trumps campaign of oxygen - they’re having to go back years to find things to attack with and it makes them look pretty pathetic.

And it’s smart to not look to debate Trump at any cost - while he lies through his teeth he’s often been underestimated in these as for how convincing he can be and how he can frustrate his opponent. Stick to ABC and push for fact challenging where possible. Polling looks like it’ll be Trump who needs to appear in a debate more than Harris so she should have the leverage there for a good debate - even if Trump doesn’t agree it’ll look good for her to debate against an empty podium.

And then just relentlessly campaign. She should have a full travel schedule right up until November. She can do everything right and still lose so it’s really important to not let up. Hopefully she can get the job done and we don’t have to hear from Trump as a political candidate again.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Now this is potentially significant

Vice President Kamala Harris is narrowly ahead of Donald Trump on the number of voters who trust her handling of the economy, according to a new Financial Times/Michigan Ross poll.

Only one poll and well inside the MOE, but if Trump and the GOP lose their edge on the Economy they are cooked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,143 ✭✭✭✭briany

Did Trump ever even have an edge on the economy? He inherited the economic recovery from Obama and then relaxed some regulations. After that, he seemed intent on riding that wave to reelection. Not a bad plan except that it kind of relied on no crisis popping up, and that's really where he became undone. He cannot lead through any sort of adversity. We see it even now in his reelection bid. His campaign was 'disciplined' when Joe Biden was trailing in every poll. Now it's in disarray just because Harris has closed the gap. Can't handle pressure.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Sadly yes - Despite all factual evidence to the contrary , US voters have almost always given the GOP higher marks for the economy than the Democrats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,462 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

None of these polls really matter all that much at the end of the day. They are all far too volatile. One poll will say one thing and then another will appear in short order to contradict it. Plus we have no proper idea of how these pollsters are collecting their data and how it's being processed.

When Americans go to the polls in November, we'll get a more representative and fuller picture of what they are/were thinking. Right now, there's no real solid indication of what will happen then that can be gathered from polling results.

Post edited by Tony EH on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,711 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

True about the polls but we do have previous elections on which to gauge sentiment.

Overall it seems the GOP have failed to hit the numbers that polling suggests. Abortion seems to be a major factor since SCOTUS overturned RoevWade but even before that GOP were underperforming.

Against that is the Trump factor. He clearly has a massive following which appears to go beyond the support of GOP.

He won in 2016, which was largely seen as a vote against HC. 2020, he was the incumbent and thus carried a huge advantage and Biden was hardly an inspiring candidate but he still managed to mobilise the largest vote ever.

Tldr: polls are not overly reliable but there is plenty of evidence to suggest Trump is struggling.

Post edited by Leroy42 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,167 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

helps them that corporate media bias leans in favor of Republican economic policy. Go figure, probably half the reason their policies exist, to bake in that free media support.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭Stanley 1

Would think he was a big hit on the gay scene along with his other weirdo mate, Don Junior.

No, I'd say polls matter quite a bit. Polls are, for example, a big reason why Biden decided to step out of the race. He and/or his donors looked at the numbers and concluded they were bad and only likely to get worse.

Nobody would argue that you'd put your house on an election where there were only a couple of points in it, but it's not an accident that polls have been and remain the foremost empirical way of gauging voter intention. It's a truism to say they're not perfect or that the only poll which really matters is the election, because yeah of course, but they're the best measure we have of which way the wind is blowing, and most probably why there is not only a big public industry around it, but political parties themselves conduct polls internally.

Right now, we can certainly glean this from the polls - the election will be much closer than Trump thought it would be in early July and he is not a happy bunny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,167 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

thing to remember is as much as the pivot to Harris morphed the election within days, the election can be morphed again in days by the right or wrong set of circumstances. It wouldn’t be rare for the polls to go back and forth or stay tight until November.

Hope he at least remembered to put his jugs the right way 'round.

Biden dropped out not because of polling. He dropped out because it was the right thing to do. He was/is too old to be pursuing the top job in America. He had a good run of it for a term, but it's clear to everyone (including him) that he can't continue. It's just too much for a guy his age and especially for a guy that wants the job for the right reasons. It wasn't polling that made Joe think twice. Just the obvious nature of ageing.

And here is the major problem with polling. You use the term "right now". But that means absolutely nothing in November. Right now, for something that won't occur for another two and half months, is absolutely meaningless. Anything can happen between "right now" and two and half months away…and in the circus that is American politics it often does.

Jesus, Trump was nearly killed a few weeks ago.

If, say, two and half months ago I told you that Trump would be shot at, Biden would step down and Kamala Harris and Tim Walz would be contesting the election, you'd have called me mad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,630 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The polling data, the momentum for Harris, rallies, positive media commentary is putting pressure on Trump and his campaign, and he doesn't handle it well.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Disagree. It was only the “right thing to do” when it became obvious he was going to lose. His condition didn’t just appear overnight, there was denial of, if not active collusion to conceal the problem. The right thing to do would have been to act before they were caught out Only total loss of donor support combined with plummeting poll numbers (likely a self feeding circle, the donors not wanting to back a losing horse, then that feeding into the news cycle and affecting polls) forced, after -continued- denial from Biden’s camp, the dropping out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,059 ✭✭✭✭Penn

His "condition" is age. There wasn't denial or collusion to conceal it, it was simply a case of determining if it would affect his performance as President, how much by, how much would it affect his standing with voters, and could it cost them the election.

Ultimately it became evident especially over the past year that yes, his age and slowdown had become the primary factor that could put people off voting for him, and would hand Trump the election. It was damn near undeniable after the debate. And so therefore polls were plummeting, donors abandoning, senior Dems publicly telling him he should step down and then the decision was up to him and he chose to not run again, because it was the right thing to do.

But to say he had a condition to which there was active collusion to conceal is just wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭I.R.Y.E.D

Back to their previous accommodation at HRM's pleasure.

• Advertisement

His age is the reason he's stepping down. Not any polling data. Coupled with a very bad debate performance where he was clearly tired and not up to the job, the culmination of all the varying factors helped form the sensible decision to step aside. The guy needs to retire, he's done his service.

Once that bad performance was digested, there was really no other option.

Before that Biden had been trailing Trump in the polls anyway.

There's far too much emphasis, traction and credence placed on transient polling results, especially in US politicking, when really they're just a snapshot in time and a very tenuous one at that. For instance Harris and Walz may be looking good today, but next month might tell a different story altogether.

Advertisement