Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cladding attic ceiling with timber

• 27-02-2020 11:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 139 ✭✭

Hi, my attic is a cold space with insulation only at floor level.

Are there any problems (regulation-wise or otherwise) with cladding the ceiling under the rafters with timber (say sheets of quarter inch ply)? I don't intend to insulate between or under rafters, but the timber would be something I could paint to give a nice finish to the room.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,108 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Why would you want a finished ceiling on an unheated storage space?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 139 ✭✭m0nsterie

Lumen wrote: »
    Why would you want a finished ceiling on an unheated storage space?

Ya, that's a personal preference as it's a large dry space and I have some room for some projects there. That's the why, but that's not what I'm asking about.

I'm more interested in whether there are any issues you can think of for example fire safety etc. with installing some timber instead of plasterboard on the attic ceiling.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,494 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

So just 1/4 " timber onto the rafters?
    wont meet the fire regs
    Is this a 3 storey?
    How is the attic ventilated?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,192 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

So just 1/4 " timber onto the rafters?
    wont meet the fire regs
    Is this a 3 storey?
    How is the attic ventilated?

Thanks - 2 storey. Attic is currently a cold space, vented at soffits.

So having ply (or any timber e.g. tongue & groove panelling) on the rafters would be against fire regulations? Thanks for the answer - exactly what I was looking for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,494 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

m0nsterie wrote: »
    Thanks - 2 storey. Attic is currently a cold space, vented at soffits.

So having ply (or any timber e.g. tongue & groove panelling) on the rafters would be against fire regulations? Thanks for the answer - exactly what I was looking for.

2 storey plus attic or 2 storey inc attic.?
    Is important because if you open up the attic then its a 3 storey and thats a world of hurt with fire regs..
    Its not any timber, its the type and thickness: see Part A

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

2 storey plus attic or 2 storey inc attic.?
    Is important because if you open up the attic then its a 3 storey and thats a world of hurt with fire regs..
    Its not any timber, its the type and thickness: see Part A

2 storey plus attic. Can you give a link to part A? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 19 moaner

Sorry to dig up an old thread but I have exactly the same question and it’s not clear to me if there is any type of timber that can be attached to the rafters or whether this is a no go?

I am in exactly the same situation as the OP and am wondering what the options are - I have an attic with floor insulation (on a 2 storey) that is only going to be used for storage space. The previous owners had nailed a very light tongue and groove onto the rafters but removed it at some point and I was wondering whether there would be any option to do something similar that would not conflict with regs?

What are you trying to achieve? Are you just trying to make it look nicer or are you trying to protect stuff that you store up there for example?

I’m just looking to cover the rafters with something that looks better. I’m one of the few that likes the old fashioned tongue and groove! I know it was common years ago to cover attic rafters with it but wasn’t sure whether it was against regs these days. I can’t seem to find a straight answer anywhere I look but I’m not an expert on these things. I don’t want to put plasterboard up, I’d rather leave as is, if I can’t tongue and groove it. From what I can see online, in some countries it’s okay to do it, if the tongue and groove has been treated.
    The attic is just being used for storage and has plywood floor over insulation. I’m not looking to make any other changes. Anything that goes up there is in plastic crates.
    I’d appreciate any advice as I’m pulling my hair out trying to get a straight answer to this!

• Advertisement

You would likely have to put in some sort of knee wall to ensure that you are not impacting the ventilation from the eaves.

Do you have ridge vents or any other vents in the roof? If not you would want to add these. At the moment your attic space is wide open and has excellent ventilation (assuming your eaves are not blocked with insulation at all!)

Your problem would then be that the new space you created has no ventilation. Arguably it has no reason to need it, but its a cold space that is going to have stuff in it and will have warm air leaking into it from the main house, personally I wouldn't create a "sealed" space like that.

Thanks for that.
    At the moment, there are no ridge vents, but air is getting through the eaves, so I had assumed I would need to put in a knee wall, with plenty of vents to let air in, with additional vents at the top of the cladding to allow for circulation. I had hoped that this would be enough to keep it sufficiently ventilated but again, I wouldn’t want to go down this route if it was going to cause issues.

Is there anything in the regs around fireproofing when it comes to something like this? Using timber instead of plasterboard?
    None of this is any way clear to me!

Advertisement