Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit return scheme (recycling) - Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

It has been added to the original cost of the product.

If the 4 pack of coke was 6 euro before DRS, it is still 6 euro on the shelf after DRS.

But the total price at checkout after DRS is 6.60, 15c × 4 for the cans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

Were the empty bottles in pristine condition, or did they get flattened by the departing mob? If the latter, the cleaners would probably not be bothered, understandably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,228 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

You called it a "deposit" in your previous post. The one which followed on from the one which you declared would be your last contribution to this topic. What was in your mind when you used the word deposit?

Last post. It is a deposit but it's a deposit charged on top of the original product price, not incorporated into the original product price.

Maybe the simplest way to explain it is that before DRS, 6 euro buys you the containers + contents. In other words, 6 euro buys you the product.

After DRS, 6.60 buys you the containers + contents. 6.60 now buys you the product.

To get your 60 cent deposit back, you have to return the containers. If you return the containers, you have returned part of the product. Meaning you no longer own the full product.

Therefore, 6 euro now only covers the contents, not the full price of the product, which is now 6.60.

Thats my last go at explaining something really very simple.

If you are not going to play the game any more that will make me sad. It's a shame for you that your summoning up of the accountancy profession blew up in your face.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭gipi

I was at Moynalty Steam Threshing yesterday, some members of Meath camogie were going around the venue collecting bottles and cans as a fundraiser. Thought it was a great idea (unless they get stung due to the number of NI traders selling there), though I didn't envy them looking in and around the bins!

I explained why your accountant post was irrelevant.

Others will understand the logic, even if you dont. But good luck anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,310 ✭✭✭✭elperello

On the off chance that you're still reading the thread.…

If it was incorporated into the original product price and you could collect 15 cent on return where would the 15 cent come from ?

If you aren't sure ask an accountant.

You could try checking the barcode on the Re-turn website checker.

If it's not there Croke Park owe you 15 cent and have questions to answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭bog master

The County Council is at fault here as our esteemed Minister deemed the Councils for checking retailers are only selling products inscope!! Has he provided any extra funding for this new task being required of them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,313 ✭✭✭Archeron

Imagine in the business world, if you issued a tender for the provision of a service, and the winning bidder stood to make tens of millions per year, as well as gaining total access to valuable recycling materials and having a captive market with no competition, your customers have no choice.

In my experience of projects, you would be looking at a minimum of a biweekly cadence to track progress and ensure things are being done correctly. All data, whether it's data you like or not, would be available at the click of a button, all numbers could be reported on in a heartbeat. Issues would be identified quickly and processes put in place to rectify them. Remember, tens of millions of euro per year.

If you can't do this, you would be out on your ear with a cancelled contract.

But of course the poor craythurs in Return have only had six months of a live system, preceded by more months of trialling and bedding in, preceded by benchmarking the best systems in the world, preceded by a public consultation (hahahahaha). I mean just because the rest of the world act like grown up business professionals doesn't mean Return have to, right?

So here we are, after all of the recent shenanigans.

What is the collection % versus sales?

Nobody knows.

What percent of collections have been recycled?

Nobody knows.

Where were they recycled, if they were?

Nobody knows.

How much do they pay themselves?

Nobody knows.

What about disabled people?

Nobody knows or cares.

Why are rhere STILL issues with broken machines, tickets not scanning etc?

Nobody knows or cares.

Why havent we an app to get electronic refund? Nobody cares.

I would be behind this fully if it was done right, but it wasnt, it isn't and i doubt it ever will be done right. Once those millions in unclaimed deposits keep rolling in, they're on a winner.

Theft, simple state sponsored theft. With the added bonus of all the environmental damage too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,040 ✭✭✭jj880

Your math on cost per Tesco RVM wasnt too hot the other day so I wouldn't be getting back on your high horse just yet. You're much better at deflection, not answering anything and going off on tangents to defend Re-Turn at all costs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,789 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

You being unable to follow the deposit system does not make it a price increase.

If you lost your gas canister, would you also call that a price increase when you next buy one?

This has gone beyond the realms of stupidity and into thick-headedness.

It was already included in the product price of 6 euro. The container was never free.

It may come as a surprise to you, but when you buy a product, you are paying for the packaging/container and the contents, not just the contents.

Your accountant will explain, if you still dont get it.

If Nobody Knows then it is not possible for anyone to give information.

More information needed. The poster only provided the number of Tesco shops involved in an expenditure of €15 million. And somehow made it out that each machine in their shops cost €89K. Without even knowing the number of machines. I did my best to make something out of that, giving an example of a shop with 4 machines. I think I did well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,635 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Sure all they'll every say is "due to increased costs" or some such vague nonsense - they'd never link it to being opportunistic and taking advantage of the publics confusion over the ins and outs of this scheme…… You do accept this point - right?

Are you gullible enough to think that any company would admit publicilly this?

The example you gave (which I don't remember fully - think it was some niche product) - have you gotten evidence that the price DECREASE is anything to do with the DRS?

I am certain that other posters here will give a list of price increases since the start of this year to counter any minimal isolated price reduction……

So have you any issues at all with the scheme? Do you see any areas for improvement? I find it unusal that someone, who has engaged with the scheme doesn't seen any areas for improvement from day one and even stranger still that they are happy enough to continue to let things slide until mid next year…..

I don't need to ask them, they are very busy anyway dealing with real stuff.

Anyway you don't need to be an accountant to know that the 15 cent to pay you on return of the container could only be generated by a reduction of 15 cent in the original price.

Your proposal is based on very shaky ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

How the f**k is me being unable to follow the deposit system NOT a price increase? The price has increased. For a ten pack of Guinness the price has increased by 1 euro 50.

If I "lose" my gas canister,(which is a silly example to use btw) I pay the deposit of 30 euro again, but most people have their gas canister for 30 years or more, so the cost increase comes to a euro a year. I won't be ringing Joe duffy about that extra euro per year.

• Advertisement

If it is due to increased costs, then that would be the reason. That is not a vague idea, an increased cost is an increased cost.

So long.

It took a while but we got there in the end 😊

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,635 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Of course it's a vague reason - the very fact that you accept it as a reason is enough.

Another reason to increase the price of the item is to take advantage of consumer confusion to increase profits- no company would ever admit this.

Every company is looking to increase profits - using a time of increased consumer confusion to increase their product price is a great way of doing this.

That was the whoosh going over your head. You dont get the math, but thats ok.

So you still haven't agreed about where the 15 cent would come from ?

Colour me shocked 😊

Already explained, numerous times. It was always part of the product cost. You never got the cans for free.

The penny will drop for you, eventually.

Over and Out on this one now, its tiresome.

Simply untrue.

The 15 cent will drop for you but only if you pay it upfront on purchase. That's the only way DRS can work.

Are you leaving again ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,428 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

It may be state sponsored but right now all the shillings are going into the pockets of a private company. The state, i.e. us, isn't seeing any of it.

And before anyone wants to repeat "nOt fOr pRoFit", don't bother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Last post

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Definitely last post

Advertisement