Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Olympic Games Paris 2024 - AH Thread [Thread banned posters listed in first post.]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

I agree about talent ID program.

I bet there's loads of Rhasidats and Paul O'Donovans out there who are either playing no sport or GAA/Soccer at an amateur level.

Sporting talent is 50% genetics and the rest is hard work, training, access to good coaching and facilities etc...

I played soccer with guy with phenomenal running stamina who never really did athletics and is now pretty obese and plays no sport.

He may have had world class potential as a distance runner.

Probably the best way to capture talent is cast as wide a net as possible and get kids to try as many sports as possible and then when they're older filter them into high performance centers.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,289 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

"A study commissioned by the US tobacco company Philip Morris published in 2000 examined the economic impact of smoking on the Czech Republic. It concluded that tobacco smoking provided a net benefit to the economy, largely because of “reduced health care costs” and “savings on pensions and housing costs for the elderly” that would not have to be paid since smokers die earlier than non-smokers. In fact, the smoking costs were shown to be 13 times greater than the ‘benefits’."

• Registered Users Posts: 7,765 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Yeah exactly. Most heavy smokers I know who died of their smoking habit generally had years, sometimes decades, of expensive treatment long before that - things like oxygen cylinders being needed at home for years, or multiple hospital stays over a number of years to remove recurring build-up of fluid on the lungs and so on.

I don't know the numbers, but I'm finding it hard to believe there's much of a saving there. But I hear from doctor friends that there's far worse coming down the line in terms of healthcare spending with all the obese children who are going to become obese, unhealthy adults.

It's a time bomb. And spending a few million on better facilities for a few elite athletes is not going to negate that.

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls@UNSRVAW "Very concerned about these statements by the IOC at Paris2024 There are multiple international treaties and national constitutions that specifically refer to#women and their fundamental rights to equality and non-discrimination, so the world has a pretty good idea of what women -and men for that matter- are. Also, how can one assess whether fairness and justice has been reached if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

Very difficult to quantify the net figures. The revenue intake is in the region of 1.3bn i believe for tobacco products, you'll get very different estimates on how much is costs the HSE varying from hundreds of millions to greater than that depending on the metrics you want to include

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

First plans after the Olympics should be to build a proper canoeing/rowing lake and a canoe slalom facility.Also building an indoor velodrome.

These are the types of sports I'd suspect we'd be able to be good at as a country .

Also think they should be working harder to get more corporate sponsorship for our Olympic athletes so they don't need to work, the women from the relay team you would think would be a marketing dream ( couple of them have model level good looks) they should be capitalising on this both for promotion of the sport and for generating an income for them so they can focus full time on the next olympics.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭jackboy

Yes some people improve their diets because of sports but the vast majority do not in the long term. If we want to increase sports funding to get more medals fine but to improve the health of the population there are far more effective areas to spend the money.

The massive performance drug taking in our elite (and even amateur) sports is another topic that we try to ignore but is part and parcel of sports at the highest level. There has been a lot of moralising the last few days about the money put into dodgy greyhound and horse racing industries, completely ignoring that Olympic events are at least equally dodgy if not worse as it's humans being doped.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

We have the lakes for it. Lough Derg is fantastic. Great location for most of Ireland to get to.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

To be fair, the medal wasn't there for the taking. The Irish team ran a fantastic race and left it all on the track and were just pipped by two marginally better teams and the Americans who were a different class to the rest of the field. You couldn't have asked them to do more.

What is true though is they might not get a better chance to get a medal and the likes of O'Sullivans checked comments reflect that. They ran super and they caught a break with the Jamaicans dropping the baton. The talk of them being better in four years, is simply never a given and you simply don't know what new talent might emerge elsewhere and if they'll get the same chances and keep their form. We can hope they get better though and they remain among the best in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,765 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls@UNSRVAW "Very concerned about these statements by the IOC at Paris2024 There are multiple international treaties and national constitutions that specifically refer to#women and their fundamental rights to equality and non-discrimination, so the world has a pretty good idea of what women -and men for that matter- are. Also, how can one assess whether fairness and justice has been reached if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

• Advertisement

Sonia was famous for her kick in the final stretch so it's more of a reflection of her mentality than reality.

Also the Jamaicans dropping the baton was the bit of luck we hoped for, although in hindsight we would've beaten them anyway.

But objectively the Dutch and British ran NRs so it was just a ridiculously competitive race.

Femke Bol is an all time great and Amber Anning is less high profile but broke a NR in 400m on Friday night so is an exceptional talent.

People will instinctively improve their diets when they're involved in sports, particularly team sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,592 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

and a canoe slalom facility

a canoe slalom facility you say?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,524 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

AH yes, a study by Philip Morris. That's like a study into Christmas by farmers concluding that Christmas is good for Turkeys.

but the vast majority do not in the long term

Any data on this?

I think it is obvious just by observance that increased funding for sport will lead to gains in health and wellness outcomes. Sure some will slip through the net but the 'vast majority' seems to be a stretch.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,599 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

The thing that I couldn't understand was when Shelby McEwan from the US was tied with New Zealand's Hamish Kerr after both failing three jumps at 2.38 and both were getting a gold medal unless they decided to go back down through the heights to decide it. Kerr offered the tie but McEwan refused. Thry both failed 2.38 again and then 2.36, McEwan failed 2.34 and Kerr won the gold medal. At any stage between the heights they could have called it and I think Kerr would have agreed.

Why would you take a chance on losing a gold medal just to be called the champion on your own? For the rest of your life you are an Olympic champion even with the tie.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,569 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Velodrome has gone out to tender.set to be completed by 2027 (ya I know that never actually means 2027 🤣)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,206 ✭✭✭batistuta9

We have never had as much investment, facilities and participation in sports yet the diet of the bulk of the population is getting worse and many health issues are increasing. If we want to improve the health of the population it is obvious that diet must be the priority. Massive investment in sports already has not reversed the health trends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

Because he's a compeittior.

Sharing the gold is taking the easy way out, I commend him for having the balls for wanting to be champion on his own rather than accepting sharing the title which means you haven't actually won anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,206 ✭✭✭batistuta9

I've heard that smoking savings link before too

However, smokers die some 10 years earlier than nonsmokers, according to the CDC, and those premature deaths provide a savings to Medicare, Social Security, private pensions and other programs.

Vanderbilt University economist Kip Viscusi studied the net costs of smoking-related spending and savings and found that for every pack of cigarettes smoked, the country reaps a net cost savings of 32 cents.

"It looks unpleasant or ghoulish to look at the cost savings as well as the cost increases and it's not a good thing that smoking kills people," Viscusi said in an interview. "But if you're going to follow this health-cost train all the way, you have to take into account all the effects, not just the ones you like in terms of getting your bill passed."

Other researchers have reached similar conclusions.

A Dutch study published last year in the Public Library of Science Medicine journal said that health care costs for smokers were about $326,000 from age 20 on, compared to about $417,000 for thin and healthy people.

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/smokers-may-not-be-financial-burden-society-flna1c9465671

Diet is one of the priorities, not the only one.
    Life expectancy here is increasing here not decreasing.
    Yes there are concerns, big ones, and funding should go to anything that alleviates, participation in sport being one of them.

A 'one or the other approach' should be avoided.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Ireland’s public sector does not and never has massively invested in sports

• Registered Users Posts: 16,606 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

If people want to stuff their faces all day and take no exercise then there isn't really a lot that can be done about it.

We are well on track to be the fatties of Europe and I can't see anything happening to change that trend in the short term anyway.

Post edited by Galwayguy35 at

There has been massive investment from other sources. The quality of sports facilities all around the country is incredible. Never as good, never as many taking part. Obesity and many health issues still exploding. More investment into sports will enrich some individuals yes bur reverse the health crises, unlikely.

I've no problem with more investment but what is the aim, to improve the health of the population or to get more medals. Very different objectives and therefore different targeting of the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,993 ✭✭✭amacca

I dunno, I agree with the poster that made the comment....you would have gold beside your name for the rest of your life...I don't think the shared bit diminishes it...if the option was there why not take it.....tbh if one could let him retake the decision it would be interesting to see what he would do second time around knowing the outcome....I doubt he would go again knowing it meant silver...which was always the risk.....so why risk it?

He had the chance to get a gold (albeit shared)…and I suppose one could say hindsight is 20/20 but even at the time when he turned it down I was hoping Kerr would smoke him....kerr offered, he turned down a chance to have a gold.....I think it was the wrong decision purely on a risk reward basis

• Registered Users Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

I live in Poland in a city that is about Cork’s size. Most schools have an excellent standard Astro pitch which is lined and netted and for about 6 a side. There are so many across the city. These pitches are mostly available to anyone to walk in off the street. In Ireland you don’t get near an Astro pitch without paying someone. sand and outdoor volleyball courts are dotted around the city. Skate parks- I only know one big one but there’s probably more. The city has a few 400 meters (I know of 3) running tracks and schools often have 60 meter running tracks. Cork has one in a university. the city has 3 stadiums, one not far off the standard of the Aviva, one around the level of turners cross which is used for very little apart from soccer training and one which is used for speedway and American football and events. I’m not sure how many 50 meter pools there are in here. Maybe 2 minimum. It also has a large indoor complex for the city’s volleyball and basketball teams. It doesn’t have a velodrome I don’t think.

Why do you say the standard of sports facilities in Ireland are incredible. Maybe I’m unfair but I find that a ridiculous statement to what I observe in this polish city.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭BQQ

Did he definitely offer?

I’ve read differing reports on this

Some saying Kerr also wanted to keep going

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Why is this on at 12.30 on a monday? Should have let them have the night out in Paris last night, relax today, and had the homecoming tomorrow evening when most people are finished work.

And here is sickly simon sticking himself front and centre…

Advertisement