Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Simon Harris death threat

13»

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Start your own and you'll realise that the main parties you got do a very good job of representing their electorate and that our PR system ensures it.

Politicians and public figures deal with that kind of stuff regularly and are usually advised to limit there interaction with both as much as possible.

But you are not even remotely close to the nub of it as you say. Voters go to the polls and elected people they feel best represent their views. Our constitution and PR system does a good job of ensuring that those views are represented in both houses of parliament. But if thugs can influence those representatives to stop advocating our views then that strikes at the very core of our democracy. THAT is the nub of the problem.

We could not be further from your "the TikTok Taoiseach - you live by the sword you die by the sword" in discussing such a serious matter as the attempt to influence our elected officials and if you can't get it then there is little point of engaging you in a discussion.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Oh goodie. The same as always with same results. Lets see the blowholes called sinn fein. The social experiment party called the greens. Or the 2 cheaks of the same arse looking after big business called ff and fg. The options are so juicy and delicious.

Nobody is forcing you to vote for one of the established parties. However, two points:

1. if you don't vote then you forfeit the right to complain! No ifs or buts!
    2. if you think that none of the parties do not represent you then there is absolutely nothing stopping you from setting up your own party to stand in democratic elections. You will obviously need policies and candidates.
      What you may find is that very few people agree with your policies at the ballot box (and will consider you part of the "same old same old" but that's absolutely fine given that you reject the policies of other parties.

What is a PITA is those that think because their views aren't handed to them on a plate by every party they have the right to protest, etc. You will never align with every political party - your views will always differ somehow and compromise will be needed. Even if you were to set up your own party, you will find that in some cases they will not align with your personal views (unless you wish to have a dictatorship).

What I do note from most of the people who whinge about the current parties is that those people rarely say exactly what they do want to see - it is all just negative moaning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

I gave two simple examples of what might be called unwanted attention for a public rep going about their daily life when doing the grocery shop. I asked a simple question - are they both equally harassment, since they are unwanted? Being human, I would say the positive engagement would be welcomed whilst the negative would be met with a 'go away and stop annoying me' attitude.

Social media reflects real life. If Harris and other want to harness the power of social to push their messaging, well then they must accept that the same social media can push back at them in all manner of ways inc threats. Threats exist in real life and online.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

For me , it's a decision of picking the least worst option as they are all varying degrees of incompetent.

So - Do I want the party/grouping that has an overall plan that I agree with but make a bit of a balls implementing it or do I want the party/grouping that has an overall plan that I completely disagree with and who will also make a bit of a balls implementing it ?

Right now , for me that choice is FG/FF - Not because they are perfect or because they are doing a magnificent job , but because their overall policy direction best aligns with what I agree with - Again not all of it , not by a wide margin , but there is more alignment than there is with anyone else right now.

So like I said - It's a least worst selection rather than a "best" choice for me and that's how it's always been.

Social media reflects real life. If Harris and other want to harness the power of social to push their messaging, well then they must accept that the same social media can push back at them in all manner of ways inc threats. Threats exist in real life and online.

Your two examples referred to people speaking to the politician whereas now you've moved to threats which is a big jump.

Firstly, would you like a client of yours approaching you in the supermarket to complain about something your did at work or would you tell them they should wait until you're back in the office?

Secondly, there is no excuse for someone getting aggressive which seems to be what you're condoning. If someone has an issue with a political decision then it needs to be addressed within the confines of the political arena. Aggressive protests outside a politicians home are nothing but intimidation. Aggressive protests like those we saw in Coolock, etc are nothing but racist thuggery. I cannot think of one occasion where an aggressive protests was justified.

As for social media - it is just a media. Some users think because they have a platform, they can spread whatever lies and hatred they want. This unfortunately is pushed by vested interests and right wing groups who are getting their funding from dubious sources. Because a politician posts on Facebook does not mean that I suddenly am gifted a right to use it to "push back at them in all manner of ways inc threats" - that really is a stupid belief to be honest!

You asked questions that were not relevant to discussing a threat to the live of an elected representative. You were given the answer security services give in such situations - keep you contact to a minimum because either could be a nut job.

Now you are off on another tangent on about social media which again is not relevant beyond perhaps being used as an incitement or delivery mechanism for such threats. The fact that despite the voluminous amount of information out there about how easy is to manipulate, you believe it reflects real life speaks volume.

Now as once again you have contributed nothing to the discussing it is time to move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭mountain

I think the prisoner who made a threat threatened a bomb or something.

The threat on the Taoiseach, his wife and kids resulted in an arrest yesterday in Galway apparently…

https://www.rte.ie/news/courts/2024/0812/1464557-threat/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,094 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

No idea? Did I not read a Sept date for his court case?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,681 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I thought Independent Ireland might have been a bit different, even voted for Mullooly but they are just more of the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,273 ✭✭✭Shoog

They have been letting this situation brew for 5 years so I doubt they will do anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,094 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The UK has started to come down hard on protectors and rioters, where in the past they'd have got a slap on the wrists.

They are obviously fed up with violent protests and want to make anyone possibly considering going on a march to think twice before lifting that bottle to throw or before kicking a policeman.

I think it'll happen here too. Personally I think if you are prepared to issue a death threat to a man, his wife and kids, then you need to do some jail time I caught.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,273 ✭✭✭Shoog

They did sweet **** all about this so I don't see much change coming down the tracks.

https://www.thejournal.ie/martin-kenny-safety-politics-5962230-Jan2023/

I suspect though that it was quite expedient to let someone put the frighteners on a SF TD. Maybe things will change when it's one of their own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,238 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Expedient of whom?

The incident was investigated by Gardaí the same way any incident of a similar nature is investigated by Gardaí, there’s just no conspiracy there:

Gardai said in a statement: "Gardaí in Mohill, Co Leitrim are investigating a fire which occurred at Cloonsarne, Aughavas, Co Leitrim at approximately 2.30am, Monday 28th October 2019.

"A car was discovered on fire at this location. Gardaí and Fire Personnel attended the incident.

"The fire was contained to the car. No other property was damaged and no injuries reported.

"A Garda Forensic technical examination will now take place to establish the cause of the fire.

"Investigations are continuing."

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/crime/sinn-fein-td-martin-kennys-20741917

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

They certainly should make an example of him. No place for that sort of **** in any civilised society.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭downtheroad

"The defence solicitor said his client was the sole carer for his elderly mother and that Mr Grealish had his own health issues.

Mr Grealish, who is on social welfare and was granted free legal aid, spoke briefly during the 17-minute hearing."

Man charged with threatening to kill Taoiseach on social media released on bail

Just like the guy who drive around Dublin smashing into buildings, we have another social welfare recipient who is left out on bail despite Garda objections, and the taxpayer picks up the legal bill.

https://www.irishtimes.com/crime-law/courts/2024/08/12/man-charged-with-threatening-to-kill-taoiseach-on-social-media-released-on-bail/

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,708 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement