Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Serbian

I don't love the Snyman signing either for similar lack of depth for the general season reasons, but the reality of how rugby works, in both the league and Europe, is it barely matters where you finish — Glasgow came 4th in the league this season, Munster came 5th last season, Stormers came second the season before that. The team that has been the most consistent over the duration has never managed to win it. Toulouse winning the European Cup this season is the first time the top seed won it in three attempts (though I generally think Europe would be a lot harder to win without a top 2 finish).

A team like Leinster are guaranteed knockout games in both Europe and the league. There are only 7 games that have genuine jeopardy attached to them and those are the games that Snyman will (hopefully) play.

The main positive in terms of injuries for him is he has just come off a season where he has feature in 21 games. Yes, 11 of them were for South Africa, but the 10 he featured in for Munster which more than doubled his total appearances for the club. At least he was able to stay somewhat healthy for the most recent season.

Post edited by Serbian on

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭lonester99

No idea where 'Mike' came from but ye Hayden,

You dont have to agree with it but thats why they signed him, Leinster are confident of making the play offs but they want big players in big games with experience of winning big important knock out games and RG is that.

Its a gamble but so are most signings, they couldve also signed a sub par journeyman that is of no use in the knockouts but can fill a jersey in the URC but i'm not sure thats a good decision either especially with Deeny and O'tiernagh sitting there who need game time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

The most amount of club games Snyman has ever started in his career is 14 for the Bulls back in 17/18

In Snyman we have a player who we didn't sign to play a heavy number of games a la Fardy (22,22,17*,19* apps per season) but a player who will be there to give us that extra dimension in the big games when he's available. (* = covid season)

Comfortingly, Snyman is just off the back of a season (or I guess most of the way through? Unsure when you count the RC in terms of a season) where he played 21 games (so far?) which is the highest number of games he's managed since that 17/18 season (22)

People need to get it through their head Snyman was signed to be a Brad Thorn, not a Scott Fardy.

"Appalling signing" and all the other hyperboles are just so tiring. He hasn't played a bloody game yet.

In life there are enough things to get actually outraged about. Pre outrage has to be the most bizarre mindsets for people to have. It's so bloody Irish. "I wont be let down if I don't get my hopes up in the first place". All you're doing is dragging the tone down with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,080 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

People need to get it through their head Snyman was signed to be a Brad Thorn, not a Scott Fardy.

Snyman is not remotely on the same plane of existence as Brad Thorn was and tbh I have seen little enough evidence that he is even as good as Fardy was. You seem to be equating Fardy with journeymen like Triggs and Jenkins, that's not accurate at all, he was top quality.

Pre outrage has to be the most bizarre mindsets for people to have

I don't think anyone is pre-outraged, it just seems like an odd signing for what we need.

Brad Thorn came in and was possibly the best player - not just second row - in an absolutely star-studded Leinster team in 2012. Maybe Barrett can be that sort of player but that is categorically not what we're getting with Snyman; it's unlikely he makes a first-choice XV, so we need him for depth, not impact.

You cannot discuss RGS without discussing his injuries, it's hardly "hyperbole" to be concerned about a guy who played 20 games for Munster in four seasons.

If he can stay fit, he'll be a good addition to the squad, but that's an enormous "if".

Brad Thorn played 8 games for us. And made an impact in all of them in the business end of the season. That is what I was referring to. Fardy played 20 games a season.

In terms of pre outrage. Just one page back you'll find one of our (ahem…) fine moderators call this an "Appalling signing".

• Advertisement

Brad Thorn played 8 games for us.

He played 8 games because he was only here on a three-month contract. Snyman is here for the season.

And made an impact in all of them in the business end of the season. 

The elephant in the room is that, despite finally getting a run of games, Snyman made zero impact at the business end of Munster's season.

Just one page back you'll find one of our (ahem…) fine moderators call this an "Appalling signing".

Well, if he performs to the same level, either in quantity or quality, as he did for Munster last season, it certainly won't be a good signing.

Jesus wept lad. You're picking apart pointless semantics for the sake of having a row. What are you hoping to achieve?

We signed Fardy and Triggs to do it on a rainy day in Newport (SO TO SPEAK - just in case you're going for semantics again)

We didn't sign Snyman for that. We didn't sign Thorn for that. There is my comparison.

The elephant in the room is that, despite finally getting a run of games, Snyman made zero impact at the business end of Munster's season.

Well, if he performs to the same level, either in quantity or quality, as he did for Munster last season, it certainly won't be a good signing.

I'm not sure if I need finger puppets or not here but I'll say it as clearly as I can.

He. Hasn't. Played. A. Single. Game. For. Us. Yet.

You've just said a load of ifs. We don't know anything yet.

He might be a bust. He might be the greatest ever signing. But people bitching and moaning about injury profile, previous form etc have absolutely no bearing on him until he actually starts playing.

Let the fella play a bloody game before letting the crystal ball opinions fly.

He's a double world cup winner. He's obviously an excellent player.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭lonester99

I never thought id see the day as a leinster fan where fan arrogance got so high that a signing of a double world cup winning south african second row would be moaned at. The levels of pessimism and arrogance is off the charts.

On the sheer off chance potential he has to be a match winner or tide turner in a tight game at the business end the of the season the signing is worth the risk alone

I'm not sure if I need finger puppets

A more coherent point would probably be more helpful tbh, but if you're more comfortable with finger puppets, go for it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,038 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

We have spent significant resources that are unavailable elsewhere on a player who is rarely available, who seems to have severe fitness issues if asked to play more than 30 mins, who is always miraculously timing his rehab to be available for the maximum number of South African games and who, frankly, I just don't think is as good as most other people seem to.

I don't need to see him play for leinster to consider it a bad signing. I don't recall this being a necessary criteria to call Barrett a good signing.

• Advertisement

I can get on board with all this though while available he was nothing to write home about for Munster at the end of season either.

One element of optimism I would have is with Nienabar here he might be able to get the best out of him. Generally speaking though I'd be happy if the provinces never signed another active SA international ever again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I don't need to see him play for leinster to consider it a bad signing. I don't recall this being a necessary criteria to call Barrett a good signing.

And this my friend is where I tap out.

You don't need to see a player play before considering it a bad signing?? 😂

There is a lot of barely moderated insanity on this site. But this post has to take the cake

I've seen him play plenty. I'm not sure why seeing him play in leinster blue is a prerequisite.

Is this going to be your policy for all future signings? That no judgement whatsoever can be cast on them until they play for leinster? Antoine Dupont signs to replace JGP and we all have to wait and see how he gets on first before making any comments on the signing? That's a pretty inane policy.

I'll happily admit I'm wrong if it turns out better than expected. But based on the knowledge we have today i don't think it is a good signing - much like I thought munster re-signing him was a bad idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭ersatz

Honestly, if Snyman has a handful of moments that are close to what he can do at his best in big games, even off the bench, Leo will look like a genius.

You don't need to see a player play before considering it a bad signing??

He very clearly said "I don't need to see him play for leinster"

It's literally a month since we saw him play for SA vs Ireland and he was completely anonymous. It's two months since Munster got to the "business end" of their season and decided Fineen Wycherly was the better call.

We all hope this has a good outcome but there's plenty of reason to be skeptical.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Hey_Ho_Lets_Go_3

Trust the Leo... apart from when he signs a double WC winning lock

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭50HX

I think he will work out very well for ye.

Leinster will play him the same that SA play him...bench impact.

Referencing how he played in Munsters run in is not comparable as he will not be a starter for Leinster imo bar a desperate need due to injury in a URC game

Business end if the competitions, game gets a bit more broken up, on he comes with 25/30 to go, he's massive & I don't think people realise until you are v close to pitchside to see him, he has superb hands & one of the best offloaders in the tackle.

The one thing he definitely has is 2 RWC medals & the mentality that brings maybe shouldn't be overlooked. It's something leinster & ireland are lacking to get to the nxt level, top 1% etc

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

The mentality SA players bring to the bok shirt.

..…

My son doing his physics homework

The mentality SA players bring to club rugby in Europe.

Never knew you played club rugby in Europe😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,666 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Hasn't Kolbe been a monumental flop at his current club? Which appears to be not in any way unusual for Rassie's generation of Boks..

Played 4 seasons in Toulouse where he won the Top14 and the Champions cup.

He was a Toulouse registered player when he won the World Cup in 2019.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Serbian

The environment has as much to do with success as the player themselves. Kolbe was the best winger in the world while he was at Toulouse, dog **** when he went to Toulon. I don't think that's 100% on him. Same can be said for Kitshoff at Ulster — they fired the manager and the CEO during the season, that doesn't happen at well run clubs. Same for de Allende at Munster, he was there during the Larkham / van Graan perennial failure era. There are plenty of examples of SA players doing very well at their clubs (and also plenty of examples of players of all nationalities being abject failures at their clubs).

I don't think there's a deeper issue with South African players, it's players in heavy demand not willing to tolerate low standards at the clubs they join.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

We’ve heard a lot about Snyman being a top class double World Cup winning lock. Maybe some context would be useful.

Snyman has never started a Rugby Championship game. Ever. Not a single one.

The only RWC games that Snyman has started were against Canada and Namibia in 2019.

Snyman has barely started against tier 1 opposition either. He started against Wales this year, but let’s face it, Wales are awful right now. He started against Argentina in the RWC warm ups in 2019. You need to go back to November 2018 to find the last time he started a Test match against quality opposition. He started vs Wales and Scotland that year, but not against France or England.

Snyman has 37 caps for South Africa, only 10 of which were starts. 3 of those starts came in his first season. Another 3 came in 2019 for the RWC (warm up game + 2 minnows).

This isn’t the profile of a world class lock. He has plenty of potential, but primarily through injury, hasn’t really turned that into very much. His performances this calendar year have been very underwhelming and he really doesn’t look match fit at all. It’s not a crazy opinion to hold that he isn’t the signing some are cracking him up to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Hey_Ho_Lets_Go_3

Why'd leinster sign him, if he isn't any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I’m not completely sure tbh. As a bench option to bring some power in the latter stages of games? Helped no doubt by Neinabar being head coach. Overall I’m very concerned about where Leinster are at right now and am far from convinced that Neinabar suits us given how our attacking game absolutely collapsed last season.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭letsbefair

Remember Jason Jenkins at Munster verses him at Leinster, you need X factor players to win European cups. Who was the alternative ? For me he's worth the punt. Time will tell

I see your concerns but maybe put a diff context on it.

He's not a starting lock & tbh the 2 current SA locks are better starters than him.

They use him as an impact player, horses for courses & didnt it work out well.

Name another double world cup lock that's as "non world class" as him

Or is he just lucky?

I would see the leinster supporter concern with him esp now with 2 v good locks departed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Same! Not sure where this squad goes. Either way ,I think Leo will move on after this season. I'm hoping JN does not get the reins. He's not the reason that S.A are back to back world champions, imo. Rassie is the driving influence.

I reckon Leinster will have a similar fate in the league this season. 4 losses maybe! Will they improve on last year? I'm not sure.

Advertisement