Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2025 Irish Presidential candidates

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,356 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

I don't think you realise just how few votes he would get, be probably does! People's criteria for president is very different and Gerry lacks the basics for most people to even take his run seriously.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,038 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Indeed. He has a firm knowledge of economics and is good in interviews at dealing with facts and not getting involved in nonsense. I think Moore would make a decent President; certainly much better than his younger brother!

Retired Vice Admiral Dr. Mark Mellett DSM, might be a compromise candidate for FG/FF as he is well like in both parties, a long career in leadership roles. no question as to his integer or willingness to do what is necessary in the service of the country. And he has become political active in recent times as a member of some low government bodies and initives. But who knows, we'll just have to wait and see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,056 ✭✭✭suvigirl

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

is good in interviews at dealing with facts and not getting involved in nonsense.

His frequent frothing screeds against public transport would suggest otherwise.

• Advertisement

Has anyone ever come out and said that they wanted to run for President but the restrictive nomination system prevented them from doing so?

Yes, most notably when McAleese was gifted a second term unopposed. Which is something of a democratic farce.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,953 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Oh boy, I can't wait to see him refer the bill that finally gets Metrolink underway to the Supreme Court.

My post was (I thought) humourosly saying how economist Moore McDowell would be a much better president (and is good in interviews and dealing in facts) than his younger brother Michael (who someone else said would be good in the role)

• Advertisement

Who was prevented from standing by the "restrictive nomination system"?

Why should someone be allowed to stand if they can't meet basic criteria?

Or are you just annoyed that McAleese was able to stand unopposed because for some reason you dislike her?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,673 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

If Martin intends to run I wonder how that will be managed. If we take it that FF and FG will be forming another government after the GE and Harris gets the first turn in the taoiseach's chair then presumably MM quits as FF leader shortly after the election. So will he declare his intentions ahead of the GE? Surely he can't get away with stonewalling questions on this until after the election…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,055 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,188 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I suppose the issue with the nomination process is that because you need to be nominated by either oireachtas members or by multiple local authorities, the parties can essentially block candidates.

All other elected representatives can be nominated by a number of registered voters rather than needing party backing.

Shush, don't upset the narrative, some people love coming up with their own definition of democracy and then get all up set when it does not work that way! In Ireland and Switzerland those rules, the constitution, is enacted by the people and can only be changed by the people. And that makes for a very strong form of democracy and you are just wasting time trying to explain this to some people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,738 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I heard that too - TT is very popular nationally - I like him a lot - but I dunno, not sure if the presidency is a good fit for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

If you listen to the Yates/Cooper podcast, they discussed MM and were of the view that his focus is on being in Government as Taoiseach after the next GE. It wouldn't make a lot of sense for a person of his age and who is still at the top tier of national politics to decide to opt out of that in favour of the presidency, where he could influence and decide very little.

That's what I'd be thinking myself but he is bookies' favourite and hasn't ruled it out so I was wondering how things would play out if he did make a run for the Aras. You'd be thinking he'd have to declare his hand before the election, otherwise the speculation would totally overshadow FF's campaign but if he did that would he not be coming across like one of those European election candidates like Peadar Toibin who openly declare their intention to hand over the seat to a locum and return to national politics if they win? Don't think it would play well with the voters…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,056 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Didn't MM state publicly that his focus is entirely on being taoiseach after the next general election? Is Enda Kenny still a possible?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,345 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

• Tommy Tiernan: I think quiet introspective Tommy who is such a great interviewer would have a good shot at it. That's only one side of the coin though. I think he has a lot of skeletons in his closet and it could well turn out like it did for David Norris with him being hauled over the coals in a vicious campaign
    • Michael McDowell: The President has to win 50% of the popular vote after transfers. No way would McDowell get anywhere near that. This seems like the last kick of the dying hope of people who thought that, after the referendum failures from earlier in the year (but before the local & euro election results), that a new era of reactionary populism was about to begin.

I think whoever gets the FG nomination will probably get it, since they have a few candidates who could definitely win it. FF's only hope would be MM. SF are too divisive to reach that 50% threshold. The left-wing parties might need to resort to a celebrity candidate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,188 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

FG have never held the presidency and would really want it. I expect they'll end up doing their usual and pick a bad candidate and somebody else will swoop in.

In my view, with the exception of Micheál Martin, I don't think any current or recent TD would get elected as President. I think full time politics like that ends up with too much baggage out there in the public's eye to get elected. So I think it'll need to come from the other politicians, the likes of the senators or MEPs. I could see a Sean Kelly or Mairead McGuinness candidacy going well.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if it's someone from civic society who gets the backing of a party though that becomes the main runner. No idea who that would be, just a feeling.

I have no issue with her, i think she was an excellent president. I have an issue with the system that allows the elected head of state have no mandate whatsoever from the people they are ostensibly at the head of. It was an affront to democracy.

There are no "basic criteria" to meet. The political parties and councils they run simply decided they were grand with McAleese and didn't nominate anyone else.

Also no candidate who had the slightest chance of winning was stopped but that's not really the point.

So they should have nominated someone that they didn't really want (and knew that the public didn't want) just because?

Well we don't "know" the public didn't want them though I certainly don't think there was much risk of the likes of Dana getting anywhere. However I believe the oireachtas and polotical parties in general should have taken their role seriously and ensured there was a legitimate alternate candidate.

As far as I'm concerned her second term had no democratic legitimacy. She was nothing but an appointed head of state because the political cabal got together and decided they couldn't be bothered with an election. Hopefully we don't see it ever happen again.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Anthony A

Don't kid yourself it will be another establishment crony, the system is set up to ensure this. It's a fairly meaningless position now anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Anthony A

It will be Bertie or Micheal or Enda or Mairead etc

Basically whoever the establishment and state media decide. And the people will follow along and vote them in.

I think anyone who expected things to change here has given up now, left the country or has been forced out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭paul71

I have always wondered why Dick Spring never attempted a run. I think he has been to long away now for a run but why not 15 - 20 years ago?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 792 ✭✭✭xlogo

Frances Fitzgerald would get my vote

Advertisement