Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2025 Irish Presidential candidates

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,038 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

"the establishment" are out to get us 🙄

Maybe you would like to tell us who you think would be a good fit for this "fairly meaningless position"?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,673 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

More meaningless 'now' than it was say 50 years ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Anthony A

It doesn't matter what I think, Paddy will vote for whatever FFFG/Lab crony that RTE tell them to.

It's as meaningless as it's mostly ceremonial and has no real power. But again we'll listen to candidates tell lies about what they'll do in the position when it isn't even possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,778 ✭✭✭Allinall

Are you not "Paddy", or are you just talking about other Paddies?

So am I correct in that you don't want to participate in the discussion about who might be a worthy candidate and would just prefer to throw insults at both those who do stand and those who might vote for them?

As for your "paddy" slurs - consider this a final warning on this!
    Read the charter before posting in the Politics forum again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 Anthony A

Ah yes threats and censorship, when you and your cronies don't get what they want as I refuse to entertain this charade. The FF/FG way

Not a threat.
    Anthony A now banned from Politics

Now, let's get back on topic

It's as meaningless as it's mostly ceremonial and has no real power. 

Yes because that's how it's set out in the constitution. If you want a different model of presidency you'll need to change how the office is defined in the constitution…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,345 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I know that that particular poster has been banned so I'm not referring to him specifically but the tactics used by him in those few posts are very common. A similar one is when a poster criticises "the mainstream media". When I see a poster do that I always try and ask them, respectfully, what media do they instead recommend. They never give you an answer.

You see it's easy to play the cynic but it's not as fun being earnest because then you are vulnerable to other people's cynicism…..and there's nothing a cynic hates more than being vulnerable.

Anyway, to get back on topic LOL at the chances of Bertie getting elected. I would love to see him get nominated though just to see him get thick repeatedly when anyone brought up the Crash or his dodgy financial history.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,186 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

That's exactly what they did do - taking their role very seriously, they agreed that the best candidate was the incumbent.

Saying they should have nominated some no-hoper or nutcase just to force a vote is ridiculous. No credible candidate would have put themselves forward as a guaranteed loser, and no political party would have wasted their resources campaigning for them either. With the possible exception of SF but IIRC they would have needed other parties to support them getting a nomination at that time.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Advertisement

If you think it's a meaningless position, what is it you are complaining about exactly?

and what does "now" mean? The role of the President has not changed in any way and we'd need to amend the Constitution to change that role.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

It's Mairead McGuinness for me from the list above. Regarding Frank Finlay, a thousand times NO!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

Hah! You got me there. I thought I had changed it to Fergus! Obviously I tripped up!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I'd rather they put up viable candidates. I can't remember at the time but if SF were willing to put up a candidate that absolutely should have been enabled.

Anyway, I won't drag the thread further off topic. If people are ok with an unelected and appointed President then fair enough, but I find the idea quite distasteful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,249 ✭✭✭✭L1011

SF had 5 Dáil seats (and no senators) at the time; it would have required a hell of a lot of enabling. They would have needed almost every single TD and Senator to come in for them; or a deal with another party - none of which would have countenanced it.

Only FG, FF and Labour had the numbers to nominate a candidate via the Oireachtas. Greens had 6 TDs/0 Senators and PDs 8 TDs/4 Senators

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,345 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Had there been an election in 2004 it would have ended up pretty much like the actual election in 2018. The incumbent President was extremely popular and it would have been a procession - likely versus some opponents only in it for self promotion or delusion.

If our President was the most powerful person in the country (as for example they are in the USA) then I would certainly say that an election should be mandatory but since it's a ceremonial position then I'm not too fussed about skipping elections.

Now that the precedent has been set though I suspect that there will be no more skips.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,274 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Article 12.1.2.1 of the Constitution of Ireland

The President shall be elected by direct vote of the people.

Its not up for discussion.

As for runners and riders; I would have preferred if Fergus Finlay had been nominated by Labour in 2011 over Michael D, but the former is 74 now, and thats too old.

There are a few enthusiastic FGers who want a run, namely Mairead McGuinness and Sean Kelly MEP. Enda Kenny is being mentioned too, but he's 73, so I think not. Likewise Frances Fitzgerald. McGuinness will probably get the nod ultimately, in exchange for having cleared the EU Commissioner road for Michael McGrath without a fuss.

Hard to know who FF will go for. It won't be Bertie, and it won't be Micheál Martin as he intends to be Taoiseach again. They could back a party outsider as they did with Mary McAleese. Perhaps someone like Emily O'Reilly, or Jarlath Burns.

Or it may be that the next FG/FF/Indys coalition will nominate an agreed candidate to share the cost and get a large heft of backing behind.

If I could have my fantasy list of nominees, they would include:

Mairead McGuinness

Catherine Day

Emily O'Reilly

David O'Sullivan

Emily Logan

Frances Black

Simon Coveney

Frank Clarke

Blinne Ní Ghrálaigh

Dr. Mike J Ryan

Professor John Crown

Brendan Gleeson

And no doubt a few more I'll think of.

My criteria is for a person or substance, of keen intelligence, deeply immersed in representing the Country and the People in an important field, and who will advocate for the people and have the character to fight tooth and nail to protect the integrity of the State and the Constitution in every way.

And if I hear any more mentions next year of Kevin Sharkey types or any c**t off of f**king Dragon's Den, I will lose my reason. Take your ego trips elsewhere lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 939 ✭✭✭mikep

I wonder would Labour go with someone like Noeline Blackwell, former head of the rape crisis centre who has been on the radio and TV frequently for years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,249 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Labour would need quite a good election result to be able to nominate without assistance from another party, or multiple parties - 11 Oireachtas reps elected in 2020; need 20. Even the Soc Dems 6 would not be enough if the election results were repeated exactly - lets ignore that there's a lot more seats so both should probably gain at least one if the share of the vote was identical; even both gaining one would leave them one short!

That was the case in 1990 (Workers Party) and 1997 (Democratic Left) too of course. The 1997 funding arrangements arguably caused the party merger - DL owed Labour a six figure sum by the end of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 939 ✭✭✭mikep

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

Not a bad list all told

Frank Clarke will be out based on your age criteria (73 in 2025). Anyway look at what happened the last time the job went to a former Chief Justice !

Máire Geoghegan-Quinn (73)
    and Olivia O'Leary (75) are another two who miss out on age grounds.

And please, no more z-list celebs, dragoneers, entertainment has-beens etc.

Labour lent DL money?! Any details on this?

@Larbre34 Yes, the President shall be elected by a direct vote of the people, but if there's only one candidate nominated then no election will be held. This has occurred in Dail elections in the past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭blackwhite

They owed Labour money from the Adi Roche presidential campaign.

She was originally nominated by Labour, then DL also officially endorsed her and agree to contribute to campaign costs.

That was very silly on DL's part but in return they effectively got to take over the Labour Party…

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,800 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,188 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Based on seat count, they're 4th biggest in local government, joint 4th biggest for Irish MEP seats, joint 3rd biggest in seanad and 5th biggest in the dail.

Still around, just smaller now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭blackwhite

From what I remember they were too small at the time to get much State funding, and as a result had run up other debt as well. All of which Labour agreed to take on as part of the merger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 252 ✭✭mehico

I agree with your criteria and would also add that the person would have a record of being socially conscious and ideally have a high regard for arts and culture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,437 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

6 Seats or 3.75% of the Dáil. Same number as social democrats, half the number of Greens

I think largely the electorate are happy for them to be in Europe or the local authority where they can't create too many problems but haven't forgiven them for their record between 2011 and 2016. There's 2 of the old Guard left from that era, Alan Kelly and Brendan Howlin. If those 2 step down there could be a resurgence

With regards to the presidential candidate if Labour pick a "celebrity" candidate they might just sneak it

Advertisement