Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

All Things Met Eireann Related Go in Here (MOD NOTE #1)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Maybe get some rest? You sound exhausted in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 308 ✭✭lovelyhurler

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭aidanodr

This is what Met Éireann has to say about the yellow, orange, and red weather warnings.

• Yellow warnings are issued for "not unusual weather, localised danger."
    • Orange warnings are infrequent, and issued for "dangerous / disruptive" weather.
    • Red warnings are rare, and issued for "extremely dangerous / destructive" weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 doralives

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

The WOW site is gone useless again for the last few weeks. Readings can be up to an hour out of date. The official stations can be up to 90 minutes past.

Odd thing is if you drill down on a site the readings are often there, just not displayed.

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

You can access the Irish data on the wow uk page. It loads quickly as well compared to the Irish wow site for me at least.

And typical 'Irish' weather over the country today... it was well 'flagged' in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 trmartin

Colour-coded as well: green, white and orange!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,107 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Met says there is a West Galway! I thought they were unable to section counties

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

New counties springing up since JP started handing out millions 😁

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Advertisement

I've noticed that recently the Met Eireann forecasters have dropped the 'thunder' word from their forecasts. Just tonight I noticed Siobhan mention the possibility of hail and lightning for tomorrow and Friday. Previously there was always the mention of 'isolated thunderstorms' or 'slight risk of thunder' but now it's just lightning.

A new thing or just me overthinking it a bit?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

I suppose lightning is the actual weather and the danger? Thunder is the byproduct (and not dangerous)?

Agreed. It's just what I perceived as new phraseology that made me curious as to the thunder word not being used any more. I noticed it too on the radio forecasts. Maybe it's just something no-one except weather anoraks would notice!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Artane2002

I've never posted here before but that was a very poor effort from them today. Even while it was snowing they only mentioned rain and sleet. The warning came too late. It was obviously going to snow.

Radar doing its thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

That’s unusual ha . Notice on their page

The Shannon weather radar is currently out of operation due to technical reasons. Apologies for any inconvenience.

"The Shannon weather radar is currently out of operation due to technical reasons. Apologies for any inconvenience."

Cut and paste from any of a dozen or more such posts on the Met.ie site over the past ten years or so. A total farce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭cute geoge

How can you find the radar map similar to above which predicts forecast for the rain .I used to be able to find it no bother before ,it could do 24 hour forecast or 7 days but it now seems to have dissapeared

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭highdef

The map you mention is best viewed on the Met Eireann app however there's also a variant on the website version. Till me a few seconds to find it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Anyone think that Mark Bowe is appalling at presenting the Weather Forecast, or should I say the "Wedder Forecast". His diction is awful for such an apparently highy qualified and much travelled Meteorologist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Have to agree. His presentations are somewhat lacking in impact and he seems to just rush through the forecast in a deadpan style.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

I think a bit unfair on the guy! He is a meteorologist not a TV personality. And, there are far worse, in my opinion (naming no names!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

His diction has nothing to do with him not being a TV personality. If you do research on him you will see that he is a highly educated Meteorologist, and yet his inability to pronounce "th" in particular is one of the worst I have heard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,733 ✭✭✭squonk

he’s poor as a presenter alright but I keep coming back to the realisation that he’s first and foremost a scientist ie meteorologist. The others like Siobhan do manage both disciplines pretty well and maybe Joanna a bit too well. Personally I’d rather have a lad with bad diction who knows his stuff giving the forecast than a seasoned media professional just reading off a teleprompter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭MfMan

Sadly, Joanna is just terrible. Quite incapable of presenting a coherent broadcast. A top class meteorologist I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

I don't know if this is right place to ask this, but is anyone else having an issue with the Monthly Data on the ME website? For the past couple of weeks all I get is a blank map so I can't select a station to see any data.

Also, while Athenry is automatically selected (as the first station alphabetically), no data is visible even for that station. Previously it would have shown Athenry data automatically loaded, then changed as you selected the desired station.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭Storm 10

What is it with Met Eireann she did not show the Friday forecast but the little boxes at the end showed Friday 18 degrees cloud and Sun yet the ME website says Friday will be wet with blustery conditions, why can't they show the correct symbols

• Advertisement

Radio1 covering a history of Met weather bulletins now, with Gerard Fleming and Joanna Donnelly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,235 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

I love how when Met Eireann made the app, they asked us for our feedback, then didn't take any of it on board.

Why is my default location set to Dublin every time I enter the app? I'm in Dublin maybe once a year. Completely useless information. Why can't you set a default location!

App also loves to crash and malfunction in fun ways. It's not the worst app in fairness, it's just the few minor issues which have never been fixed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,507 ✭✭✭cml387

The App defaults to my location for me anyway. I know this because when I was on holidays in Italy it moved the map to Italy and pointed out I was outside the forecast area.

I tried mine just now and it defaults to my location (Limerick) no problem.

Have you checked your phone's GPS is on and permissions switched on in your phone security settings? Check if the app is up to date also.

The location works, at times, however sometimes the app instantly says "location not found" and defaults to Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭batistuta9

it's defaulting there as it's not picking up location from your phone. like others have said he you checked settings? 'location not found' would indicate something isn't right there

anyway you don't actually need location enabled, just search for it manually & it'll open there from then on. you can even switch between saved searches & it open on the last one viewed

• Advertisement

Phone settings are fine, it'll work one minute then 5 minutes later it won't work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,973 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Radar seem to have gotten worse especially around Waterford City. Rain is persistent here for most of the day and heavy enough at the moment but it's not registering on the radar and just saying 5% chance of rain. Radar on Netweather.tv which hasn't been updated for the nw Shannon Radar is not far off the same as Met.ie for the area. There needs to be a proper weather station for the area and a radar for the south east to cover for the Comeragh Mountains etc.

Looks like the shannon radar is down again since 9:45.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭dmc17

Have they ever given a heads up when it's going down for planned maintenance...

6 news weather report without graphics and same today at lunchtime. Twitter updated either. Getting worse

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Met Eireann website seems to now have forgotten a day of the week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

lol oh dear that is bad now in all fairness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Squeaksoutloud

Has anyone else noticed that the Met Eireann rain radar map seems to constantly show a blob of rain over the Dublin mountains constantly for the past while? Not visible on the netweather radar and doesn't seem to be any rain there now today again...let along clouds from what I can see!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭kc56

From met.ie:

Ground Clutter may appear (South Co. Dublin), bright bands and spokes may also be present in images. They are artefacts (false echoes) of rainfall radar systems and should be ignored.

Gerry said after the news it's a lovely evening in Paris and looking on TV it's lashing rain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Squeaksoutloud

Yes have been aware of that in the past but never noticed it consistently in one place practically all the time and yet not showing on Netweather radar.

Netweather haven't updated their radar system to include the new shannon one. The use met office uk which also hasn't updated to the new system.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Why wasn’t there a proper thunderstorm warning issued for last night?

It's a question that should be asked.

Why was no warning active during the worst of the thunderstorm activity. Why has there been no news coverage of this on RTÉ, despite the widespread power outages?

Almost glad it's not on RTÉ, they'd inevitably blame it on climate change somehow.

• Advertisement
Advertisement