Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Luna84

I loved Claptrap in the Borderlands games especially when you first meet him in the first game during the intro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,960 ✭✭✭✭Penn

It can have its moments, but those moments are usually part of the gameplay, and buried under the sheer mountain of wackyness, cringe, puerile humour and references to things that stopped being popular about 7 years earlier that you're bombarded with.

Condensing that down to under 2 hours was basically never going to work, especially with Pitchford so heavily involved, then of course Eli Roth.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,559 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The Olympics beach volleyball court is where you would take on the French team in a Neo Geo Volleyball game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,072 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

As much as I loathe Rotten Tomatoes and how poorly it measures how good a film is, it's usually useful for highlighting bad ones.

And Borderlands is at 6%... Ouch.

Been getting through Bloodborne. Beat the Witches of Hemwick last night. Not having too hard a time; Vicar Amelia took me about 5 tries but other than that not much problem, even did Bloodstarved Beast first try which surprised me. Now using Ludwig's Holy Blade which is very good. Only issue I've been facing is running out of Blood Vials a few times and having to go farm them a little. Man I miss flasks….

Still don't know if this replay will ever hugely change my opinion of the game, but enjoying it nonetheless.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,559 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Found bloodborne gets kind of easy after Vicar Amelia. Well the DLC makes up for it at least.

Yeah I don't remember ever running into too much trouble before for most of the game. Feels like the same for most Souls games; once you start hitting your stride, get the main levelling/upgrade methods underway and better know your own limits, the main enemy of the game just becomes your own impatience.

Well, that and all the Frenzy/Curse/Deathblight insta-kill bullsh*t….

• Registered Users Posts: 6,006 ✭✭✭Cordell

Not funny hahaha, but fun. It's a fun game series, quite good and fresh, feel good escapism.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,917 ✭✭✭nix

A good place for farming vials early game, go to the first lamp in the game, go through the shortcut on the left and kill the two giants, good for practicing parrying and they give a good amount of vials, run back to lamp and touch it to respawn them and rinse and repeat, then use the souls you earned from them to buy a load of vials.

Yeah they've been my main go-to. Sometimes use the shortcut after them to the bridge leading to Father Gascoigne and do the bridge mob, giant and beasts up to Gascoigne's fight area, just in case a few of them fancy dropping a few vials or items too, plus for the souls/echoes. Plus it's not like Elden Ring where you can just fast travel back to the lamp and it'd respawn all; here you have to get back to the lamp, return to the Hunter's Dream, then back to the lamp, and all with loading screens unlike ER's speed with the SSD.

I usually try to rally the health back, but it was Vicar Amelia where I lost most of the vials I'd built up, as even though I beat her on the fifth try I used maybe 8-12 vials per try as I nearly had her beat each time.

Edit: Wait, can you just touch the lamp, select No when asked if you want to return to the Hunter's Dream and it'll still have respawned enemies, refilled vials etc? Because I've been returning to the Hunter's Dream each time

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

In a remaster it’d be nice to have some kind of recharging vial as an optional extra. I know the game is designed differently, but given health vials are essential, the extra grinding for them in the late game doesn’t really add anything to the game IMO. Don’t think a limited recharging option similar to all the other Souls games would upset the balance too much.

Yeah I kinda get the reasoning behind its inclusion in terms of forcing you to rally to get your health back as much as possible, but some type of failsafe or even you start with 10 on your next try if you've run out would help. Stupidly last night I got to a door knowing I only had about 6 vials left (with none in storage), and figured it'd be stupid to take on a boss with the low vials and amount of echoes I was carrying. So did a bit of farming, levelling etc.

By the time I made it back to the door with adequate vials, I went through and there was a lamp there. I was going from memory and thought it might have been the Shadows of Yharnam fight, but it was just a new area.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭McFly85

Became habit for me to just spend any remaining blood echoes on vials in the hunters dream after levelling up just to keep them topped up.

Really enjoying having the PS2 out and up and running again although it's needed some surgery to get it back into shape.

Stated up Ace Combat 04: Shattered Skies and can't believe so many publications say on this on in 2001. I mean the ones that did review it gave it unanimous praise but there's not that many reviews. I suppose the second half of 2001 was one of the most ridiculous times for great releases no PS2 and other platforms.

It's such a a good game, looks and plays fantastic. In Japan it might have been less well regarded as the 18 mission linear structure was a backwards step from the 2 disc branching path Ace Combat 3 had but it's not so different from the butchers Western release.

There's quite a bit in here that Ace Combat 7 calls back to that I didn't realise, although it is set on the same continent. What is surprising me the most is how good the story is. You play as one of the resistance taking back the continent from an invading force but the story takes the viewpoint of a child living under occupations that has become close to the enemies crack team of fighter aces and it's strangely quite moving and deals with some heavy subjects. Caught me off guard after the fun anime nonsense of AC7.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,917 ✭✭✭nix

Agreed on just having a vial that recharges, but vials mid-late game is no big issue, just do a farm run or two and spend it all on vials and that will likely set you straight forever..

I'm guessing they didnt go the recharge route as it didnt fit the lore of it all? Would be a good question for the devs 😁

And Penn, Regarding the mob respawn with the lamps, i cant recall been years since ive played BB, im still waiting for the 60fps version they promised for the ps5.. But you might be right in that you need to leave and come back for the reset instead of just a quick touch reset.. You will have to test it and report back 😜

Aye I'll try it out later. Part of what made me want to play Bloodborne is one of the guys from Kinda Funny just spent $1,400 on a factory model PS5 to load and play the 1080p 60fps modded version of the game. Even just watching Youtube videos of it, it looks great.

Then I get a pain in the head playing the barely-stays-at-30fps version.

Sony don’t seem bothered with these sort of QoL updates, if it was up to FromSoftware we would probably have 60fps by now.

I would be shocked if we don’t get a BluePoint remaster at some stage though, probably as a launch title for a new console.

It kind of is up to From Software. They own the source code. Could be an issue with two things, From Software not having the resources to dedicate to it and Sony not caring or both. All equally possible.

I kind of hope bluepoint don't get their hands on the remaster after the travesty of the art changes they made to demons souls. I'd love if they just stuck to their old remasters but they have notions now that they know better than the original art teams for their remasters.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

No doubt Sony inaction is a big factor here, but From haven’t exactly shown particular care towards performance over the years - even their 60 FPS games run with odd issues and shortcomings that persist across multiple titles and platforms, despite fixes being very much available.

Still, a 60FPS version even with From’s patented stutters and frame pacing issues would be a joyous day.

Sony are sole owners of the IP though, so I would imagine any update would at least have to be collaborative, or they may need to commission and fund From to do the update. In any case I’m sure they’d prefer to keep that update for a remaster they can charge for.

And it would be interesting to see if BluePoint took as much creative license with Bloodborne. It’s a far more popular title than Demon Souls owing to that been locked to the PS3, they’re aware of the criticism they got on that too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,042 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I found the blood vials made the game easier. It felt like I had 20 Estus flasks starting off the game

but this was the last FromSoftware game I played so was always going to find it easier than the rest

They may not have done it well, but they did do it - Dark Souls 3 and Sekiro which were both 30fps on PS4 are 60 fps on PS5.

I have no doubt that if Bloodborne was a pure From game then they’d have done the same, even if it was a bit janky.

TBH it’s a lot better than they used to be - I’ve been playing them long enough to remember the early nightmare From PC ports (60 FPS? How about that makes your weapons degrade twice as fast!). It’s certainly nice to have all their recent games with better frame rates.

Still, it’s very funny that Elden Ring and AC6 both run smoother on PS4 back compat than they do on PS5 or PC.

Dark Souls 3, Sekiro and Armoured Core 6 run great on PC so they can do 60 fps when they want to.

The weapon degradation thing is from tying game logical to frame rate which makes sense of you are targeting a single platform, DS1 was never meant for PC. There were similar issues with Japanese developed game around the time. And I'm guilty of it myself and any games or demos I made I tied to frame rate. It's so much easier and lazier to do it that way!

Let's just not talk about the PC version of Elden Ring.

Elden Ring is a shader issue which isn't a problem on a fixed system where they can pre compile shaders.

AC6 though runs beautifully on PC. There's really no issues. High frame rates and ultra wide with no problems. I was minding hoping that would carry over to elden Ring with the dlc.

Another Crab's Treasure looks good. I have far too many games to play at the minute but I seen it is on GamePass.

Ah sorry. I do believe AC6 has the same issue on next-gen consoles as ER, in that the back compat version runs a tad smoother than the current gen ones, which is a fairly inexplicable oversight.

Can confirm just touching the lamp does not reset the game world, you have to travel out to the Hunters Dream.

• Advertisement

Started Dungeons Of Hinterberg Saturday and put a fair few hours in at this stage. It's slow pace at first annoyed me. Well slow as in you have to talk to people a lot and go around the town and your room and the morning, evening and night routine but I got used to it and it's not so bad after all. It's a decent game.(just to add once you get out to a dungeon it's like a normal game it's just they added a social thing as part of the game)

I still have Crackdown 3 to play. And then Another Crab's Treasure is calling me. All on Gamepass too. I haven't bought a game in a long time.

Advertisement