Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New electric shower issue

Options
  • 11-08-2024 10:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭

Lads

New electric shower fitted and only used twice.Each time it has tripped after about 45 seconds.We have 2 electric showers but never had an issue before.

I only had 1 electric shower on at a time and no other appliances

IIs this an issue with the shower itself or something else

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭JL spark

would you post a picture of your fuseboard,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭drury..

That would be unexpected on a like-for- like shower replacement

As above anyway , pic of board and what's tripping .

And some info on the work done and whether carried out by a REC

• Registered Users Posts: 17,107 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

It's very unlikely to to be the shower. A shower trip is usually instant. Likely to be a faulty / undersized isolation switch or RCBO. It could be a screw in the cable but again I'd expect instant tripping for that

No mention of the installer. No priority or non priority board mentioned. Sounds like a DIY or handyman installation. I would strongly recommend getting a REC out to bring it up to code & cert it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Umpalumpa

There Ya go

Thanks for the reply.It was installed by a registered plumbing company.I originally had a power shower and replaced it with an electric one

• Advertisement

After the initial install it stopped working.He came back and replaced the original switch with this one

• Registered Users Posts: 7,647 ✭✭✭Tow

The wattage of the new shower may well be higher. The 'traditional' Triton T90 used in Ireland has increased in wattage to 9kw, the first version was 8kw, then it went up to 8.5kw.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

When you say registered plumbing company, who did the electrics? Only a REC can do this work. The switch shouldn't be in the hot press & two showers using the same regular RCBO is definitely wrong.

I'd get plumbing company to send out a REC to put everything right. If they don't then report them to Safety Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,647 ✭✭✭Tow

An electric shower used a lot more power than a power shower, which just pumps water.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

As above time for a REC , there's something dodgy at play and unlikely to be the new shower

Is there a 2- shower controller elsewhere ?

Possibly a dodgy install caused a lowered IR reading or something else in the wiring /wiring setup/ protective devices

Very low on information here

"A new shower trips an RCBO" is about all you can surmise here

• Advertisement

The lads who installed the shower also installed switch

• Registered Users Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭This is it

Is it the shower RCBO that's tripping?

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭Doolittle51

Yes and if an electric shower was installed in place of a power shower, it would most likely mean the existing cables were insufficiently sized. Most likely 10sq required for the electric shower. OP, did they install a new cable from the fuseboard? Any way to see the cable, is it routed through the attic? And what size is the shower RCBO? A close up pic of it showing all the details would help.

There should be a priority board if you have 2 electric showers. Any sign of this OP?

It sounded from the ops description that there was no controller fitted

Hopefully they have at least "bunched" the 2 shower cables direct into the rcbo and are using it as a crude overload controlling device

Worst case scenario they've teed off 1 cable to separate instant showers

I'll have to have a look further when I get home.

II'll Be ring the plumber shortly to get some answers

You need to get a cert from him. This means he has to use a REC to bring it up to minimun standarts before cert is issued. Any problems from his, tell him you are reporting him to safe electric. People passing themselves off as REC can get large fine & jail term. He passed himself off as REC even without saying so because only REC is allowed by law to carry out this type of work

An unknown shower is tripping an unknown RCBO in an unknown wiring setup.

About all that's known here

• Registered Users Posts: 4,779 ✭✭✭standardg60

Think that's exactly it, sounds like they installed the electric shower on the power shower wiring, which is most likely 2.5sq.

Just noticed the op said these plumbers installed a switch and changed from power to instant shower and it didn't work the 1st time after install and now it's not working 2nd time after the callback

Presumably the OP hasn't been supplied a cert ?

Need Safe Electric involved or a REC out to resolve this safely

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭JL spark

I’d say what happened was , 2.5 circuit was powering the old shower with a switch fuse spur (13amp )

New shower was added and fuse popped on first use ,

Came back and put in a 45 amp switch , but rcbo is tripping due to load on cable ,

Whole lot needs pulling out and a 10ml cable needs installed by a REC

I thought something like that myself. Isolation switch shouldn't be in the hot press but the fact that it's so low does suggest there was a spur here for the power shower.

Hmm, that would explain the need for replacement switch and subsequent tripping of rcbo

I'd still be surprised if this happened as the level of cowboy incompetentence needed is extreme

• Registered Users Posts: 4,779 ✭✭✭standardg60

I imagine it's the RCD that's tripping, as the power shower wouldn't have been on the RCBO, just the original electric one?

I'd say they don't know what the issue is at all, and just replaced the switch in the 'hope' it would fix it.

Probably not , as an instant shower connected to "main rcd" would then likely trip an associated mcb on overload

Unless there was a N-E issue causing main rcd to trip on high loading, unlikely

Dont know if op has specified what's tripping

Anyhow there's a definite cowboy factor at play here .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭This is it

Agree. That's why I was asking if it's the RCBO. What's tripping will give a good idea of the issue

So I spoke to the plumber and he said he knows what the issue is and will get it sorted.

I'll wait to see who comes over so I can ask if he's an electrician or another plumber.

3rd time lucky , joke shop electrics

Anyway I'm out . Posting half the day and you haven't even confirmed what's tripping

Another joke

He could be an electrician or plumber but tell you plumber. Even if he is an electrician that isn't enough according to the law. Only a REC can carry out the work you describe but the photos you showed that it's doubtful if any type of electrician did the work.

You must receive a cert. Does not matter if plumber or electrician or pat the postman. By law they must issue you with a cert. Cert can only be issued by REC. There is a a fair amount of work needed before a cert can be issued.

Can't stress this enough. By law they must issue a cert. Don't except anything less

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭meercat

this from sleeper

There’s been some great replies and advice here from others too

It’s a criminal offence for anyone other than a registered electrical contractor to do electrical work in a bathroom and a certificate has to be provided along with test records

Advertisement